Rome & Vatican City Excursion

Has anyone been on the Rome & Vatican City excursion would like to know how much walking there would be on this trip. I know you see the Colosseum from the outside but do you travel by coach to the Sistine Chapel and St Peter's and the other sites? Still trying to decide what to do on this stop! Have searched the forum but can't find anything on this particular excursion. :)

Has anyone been on the Rome & Vatican City excursion would like to know how much walking there would be on this trip. I know you see the Colosseum from the outside but do you travel by coach to the Sistine Chapel and St Peter's and the other sites? Still trying to decide what to do on this stop! Have searched the forum but can't find anything on this particular excursion. :)

I went to Rome in April we did the Rome all in a day and we didn't walk to the vatican i think its to far to walk .I am going back in October and Rome and the Vatican is the one i want to do.

I went to Rome in April we did the Rome all in a day and we didn't walk to the vatican i think its to far to walk .I am going back in October and Rome and the Vatican is the one i want to do.

was there a lot of walking on the Rome all in a day trip, from previous threads I have read seem to think that there would be? We go on the Destiny at the end of this month.

was there a lot of walking on the Rome all in a day trip, from previous threads I have read seem to think that there would be? We go on the Destiny at the end of this month.

I didn't think so ,we got droped of at the Colessium from there we walked to the Pantheon that was the longest part . It was just a long road .Then it wasnt far to the trevi fountain .We had some free time to get some lunch the place has a few places to get something to eat .We walked a short distance to get picked up by the coach then of to the Vatican .The only thing was the tour guide sometimes it was hard keeping up with her.

We went on the trip to the Vatican in August. There was a coach tour around Rome before being dropped off at a bistro close to the Vatican for lunch. The coach then picked us up and dropped us off again close to the entrance to the Vatican museum. There is quite a bit of walking and fighting through crowds through the museum, the Sistine Chapel (a disappointment) and St Peter's before getting back on the coach.

We went on the trip to the Vatican in August. There was a coach tour around Rome before being dropped off at a bistro close to the Vatican for lunch. The coach then picked us up and dropped us off again close to the entrance to the Vatican museum. There is quite a bit of walking and fighting through crowds through the museum, the Sistine Chapel (a disappointment) and St Peter's before getting back on the coach.

Thanks, this is very helpful, perhaps it wont be so crowded end of September but expect it will still be very busy. Did you have to queue for long to get in the Sistine Chapel and St Peter's, also did you see the Trevi Fountain, sorry for all the questions, nice to have questions answered before we go on board? Only two weeks to go:D

Because we were on an organised trip we were able to jump the queues so that was a bonus. The Sistine Chapel was packed though and you just couldn't appeciate the ceilings as people were constantly bumping into you. We couldn't wait to get out. As for the Trevi Fountain, no we couldn't see that from the coach.

I expect everyone was walking round the Sistine Chapel looking upwards. Think this may be a good trip for us as my OH does want to see the Sistine Chapel and if we go on our own which we were thinking of doing we may not get in if there are long queues! I take it lunch was included in the trip price? Did the coach make any photo stops in the morning or did you stay on the coach all the time also was the museum worth visiting as we are not really bothered about that bit, could we do something else instead? Sorry for all the questions:confused:

Hi, we were also on this excursion in August. Lunch was included it consisted of a carafe of red wine on the table( approx 12 people to a table and 3 caraffes), starter was a small salad then pasta and chocolate cake for dessert then coffee. We stayed on the coach all the time driving round Rome on the way to the Vatican. You had to take photos through the windows. I don't think you would be able to do it on your own due to the queuing time, as we were an organised group we just walked straight in. I am sure they said waiting time was approx 4-6 hours!! Once inside you go through all the security and it is huge. Our guide said that there are 10 museums altogether just packed with paintings, tapestrys, sculptures. The place was so packed it was frightening. You just had to keep following the guide all the time. Once inside the sistine chapel it was like sardines in a tin, but it is a place that you have to see for yourself, it is amazing.

we did the rome in a day trip last sept.coach dropped us by colloseum and had some time to look around but not go inside.beware the roman soldiers outside agree a price before they take your photo with them.guide was very good but we are in our 60s and he was off like flash gordon, phew!was a lot of walking but worth the effort.it was very warm too although late sept. lunch near trevi fountain.prices horrendous so watch what you order but i was so thirsty by then i didnt care.coach met us other side of city wall and sold nice cold water too.very hard day but it was worth it.[wife been nagging for years to go to bath but now happy we did the real thing and went to rome itself.]i,d like to go inside the collosium though instead of peering in through the iron bars,still next time maybe.ade.

Hi, just come back from a Mediterranean Explore cruise on the Dream, we decided that we would splash out and went on the Rome Express, this cut down the journey time to about 45 min’s. Pick up at the train station in Rome and then taken by coach around the city centre to the Colosseum, viewed from the outside only. Back on the coach for another short sightseeing journey then dropped off near the Spanish steps and then it was walking all the rest of the day until we caught the train back to the ship. Among other we walked to the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, Navona Square, then had lunch and then walked to the Vatican City and St Pauls Square and Cathedral, we did not go into the Sistine Chapel. I would estimate that we walked for about 5 hours with stops in-between, this day was very hot 30° + and we were tired when we were back onboard.

In my opinion it was well worth all the exercise.

Archived