port info venice 9/26/10

easterbrook51

We've taken large bags on the vaparetto with no problem. It is far less expensive than the water taxi. In fact, if you're staying in Venice and have a public transportation pass, it will be included. I guess it's just a question of how much convenience is worth.;)

I spent several nights in Venice after my cruise and found it most convenient (not to mention inexpensive) to check my bag at the the bus station where the AZ bus leaves you after the cruise. It cost about 8 euros a day. I then took my carryon and it was more than enough for the days in Venice. The smaller bag was very easy to manoever in the vaporetto, the problem with luggage is not the transportation, it is the stairs and bridges one must cross with them. I had picked up my transportation pass and it lasted until I left and included the airport bus .... I simply got back to the bus station and took the airport bus. Easy, cheap and very cheerful.

I did end up putting my purchases in the tote that I got from AZ and transferred some things back into my luggage before getting to the airport. I then checked 2 bags in at the airport and merely carried on my tote.

Save your money on the water taxi - buy lots of gelato!!!

Worked for me.

We docked right in town about a block from a vapretto stop. To get to it, you had to go up and down a small step-bridge over a canal. People with heavy luggage were worried about that little bridge and many opted to hop on the taxis which were hovering before the bridge. The difference in cost was dramatic.

You are just around the corner from the main canal. Our hotel was right on the Grand Canal. Our small party insisted on taking the taxi. It took two minutes to cross the water and cost an arm and a leg. (The taxi guy must have been killing himself with glee.)

After our visit, we hopped on a vaperetto to the train station with no worries. Lots of people take luggage on them. There are even special nooks for storage. Depending on where your hotel is, of course, it's easy and reasonable to take the vapretto.

Some people, however, like to 'arrive in style' and I got the feeling that some of these were sharing that taxi with us. They couldn't abide 'public transportation', no matter how convenient and popular.

Enjoy Venezia!

Archived