Room directly next to theater on Niew Amsterdam (or any ship?)

rmartin1286

Hey guys, have a question: Has anyone ever stayed on a room right next to the theater on the Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam? We have the option of taking a larger OV room directly next to the theater. How is the noise level there? Does anyone think it would be excessively noisy there? Thanks!

Hey guys, have a question: Has anyone ever stayed on a room right next to the theater on the Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam? We have the option of taking a larger OV room directly next to the theater. How is the noise level there? Does anyone think it would be excessively noisy there? Thanks!

Hi rmartin

I am just off the Nieuw Amsterdam.

We stayed in a Cat D outside just beside the theatre in cabin 1013. You do get a fair bit of intrusion noise both from the theatre and after the theatre when people are moving about back to midship after the theatre. Be careful also of noise from above especially from the piano bar which is located above cabins 1001,1003, 1005, 1007, 1009 & 1013. We found this to be worse then any noise from the theatre. The Piano bar can at times continue until close to 1.00am and can be quite lively.

In those locations it helps to be a sound sleeper. By the way, I am a sound sleeper

Fully agree. There came a time when instead of complaining about the noise from the piano bar, we just decided to join in and hop upstairs. It also helps that the beds are extremely comfortable

Hmmm. This is a deciding factor for us, because I am definetly NOT a sound sleeper. I will be bringing heavy duty earplugs with me, and they block perhaps, oh, maybe 65% of loud noises? I'll put it this way, the ear plugs do NOT block loud dog barks. As long as they block the noises while I'm sleeping I won't mind. Does you guys think it's really THAT loud? I'm not sure what my husband would think of this, although once he slept through construction work going on 6 feet from our bedroom window, and it was LOUD.

Hmmm. This is a deciding factor for us, because I am definetly NOT a sound sleeper. I will be bringing heavy duty earplugs with me, and they block perhaps, oh, maybe 65% of loud noises? I'll put it this way, the ear plugs do NOT block loud dog barks. As long as they block the noises while I'm sleeping I won't mind. Does you guys think it's really THAT loud? I'm not sure what my husband would think of this, although once he slept through construction work going on 6 feet from our bedroom window, and it was LOUD.

To be perfectly honest with you the noise never kept me awake as I find that as soon as my head touches a pillow I´m out for the count. My wife is a very light sleeper and she was kept awake quite a bit but again this was more from the piano bar above. This would not be a big problem for the cabins on the port side as you wont get the noise from the piano bar.

• 3 months later...

I too have wondered about those staterooms right near the theater so Petermack confirmed my suspicions about them being far from quiet. Since I tend to be a light sleeper and enjoy a quiet room, I examine the deck plans carefully looking at what may be above and/or below, proximity to elevators & service areas, previous cruise experience about likely traffic patterns, etc. and try to select several cabins for my booking agent to request. Usually work for us. Now if I could just figure out a way to book w/o adjacent passangers who smoke so we could enjoy our balcony more...:confused:

Archived