Vh

Pather

Looking at a cruise on Nieuw A. Given a $50 obc to take a VH rather than VF. Only 4 VH on ship, far forward, upper promenade with somewhat smaller balconies. Think maybe I should forget the credit and take a VF which are scattered all over. Any comments?

Thanks,

Pather

Check the deck plans, but I think VH are steel balconys rather than the clear plexiglass, some of the VF's are the same. I think it's a black diamond on the plan which shows you which are steel verandahs.

Link for the deck plan

http://www.hollandamerica.com/main/DeckPlansFull.action?ship=na&deck=m

On the Signature Class ships, Nieuw Amsterdam and Eurodam only the following have the steel railings (Deck 5 has clear-view Plexiglas® railings):

VH 4001 through VH 4004 and VF 4005 through VF 4042 these staterooms have solid steel verandah railings instead of clear-view Plexiglas® railings.

Please keep in mind that there are very very very few handicapped staterooms available, so please DO NOT BOOK or allow yourself to be booked into the following staterooms if you do not need one

VD 4051, VD 4052, VD 4131, VD 4134, VF 5051, VF 5054, VF 5135, VF 5140 are wheelchair accessible, shower only.

Also know that if you want a bath tub DO NOT BOOK or allow yourself to be booked into the following staterooms:

VH 4001, VH 4002, VH 4003, VH 4004, VF 4005, VF 4006, VF 4007, VF 4008 are staterooms with a shower only.

More info, and photos with descriptions and deck plans can be seen here: http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Nieuw_Amsterdam/index.html

Only the Vista Class ships have the Steel Railings on both Deck 4 and 5 (front of the ship only).

Joanie

Only the Vista Class ships have the Steel Railings on both Deck 4 and 5 (front of the ship only).

Joanie

Joanie,

My friend, I know you are the expert on HAL cabins and have spent 100s of hours compiling facts and photos on the ships for us. I think however that there are no steel railings on deck 5 on any of the Vista class ships, only plexi-glass. Just FYI

Joanie,

My friend, I know you are the expert on HAL cabins and have spent 100s of hours compiling facts and photos on the ships for us. I think however that there are no steel railings on deck 5 on any of the Vista class ships, only plexi-glass. Just FYI

You are 100% correct!!! Sorry I do not know what I was thinking.... I have it correct on the Ships pages, just goofed here when posting the info:(

Thanks Steve!! I really do appreciate the correction!!

Joanie

Is this something that should be avoided - newbie - what is the difference??
For most people, when sitting down the wood railing at the top of the steel wall is just about at eye level, and you can't see anything that's close to ship except mountain tops.

Is this something that should be avoided - newbie - what is the difference??

Well it's personal choice, but we don't like them. You can't see the water unless you are standing up, and it cuts down the light a little.

The pictures on Joanies website should give you more of an idea

Thanks everyone. My wife doesn't think we need to change from a VH as we spend hardly any time on the balcony or in our cabin. We could also get the $50 obc by going to VD for $100 more each. Don't know if we're assigned a VH or guaranteed.

Just looked at our reservation. Says VH, cabin assigned when checking in. Guaranteed to have a balcony. Make sense? Thanks.
With a VH guarantee you have an excellent chance of getting an upgrade. The only time we booked one we got a VA. :)

Archived