Should I Try Carnival?

Lovincruisin1321

IMHO the food is a bit better on Carnival. There are more options to eat free (except for RCCL Oasis class). Pizzaria is open 24 hours a day.

The rooms are bigger.

The price is cheaper.

I do prefer the sliding glass door on the balconies of RCCL vs a regular door on Carnival.

ditto! If you wanted to keep it open what would you use to do that?

I've cruised on 4 different lines (including both Carnival & RCL). I would say that food and service are slightly better on RCL...but Carnival has better port itineraries. And the value of what you get for what you pay on Carnival is far superior to RCL as well as Princess & Disney.

You are nickel'd and dime'd if you forgo the main dining room and eat at one of the specialty restaurants on board. You are also nickel'd and dime'd if you want to use the skating rink, the rock climbing wall, ice cream/burgers, etc. Cabins are a bit smaller, and there usually aren't as many balconies.

A big thing for us is that you must be dressed for dinner - no jeans or casual shorts allowed in the MDR and other eating establishments. This to us is a huge turn-off, as we are not ones to get all gussied up for a meal.

We prefer Carnival for their larger cabins, laid back atmosphere, nobody trying to entice you to buy, better food options (in our book), and being able to take 4 cruises a year instead of one or two. That for us works!

IMHO, all mainstream lines are pretty much the same. There are a few differences but not appreciable.

One thing is on my gotta have list is the anytime dining. As a result, I try to avoid lines that do not offer that.

ALL of them charge for various items but I have never felt nickel and dimed on any of them as I expect to be charged for drinks, etc. and really don't think of areas of concern unless one wants to dream them up (or expect a all-inclusive" experience.

I am price sensitive (on the cruise end) so that always comes into play as I need airline tickets and the like that add substantially to the overall cost.

I prefer sliding glass doors on a ship but nothing stops me from keeping the franch doors open. If you can't figure out a way, you have little imagination.

Some of the amenities on some other cruise lines may add to the experience (i.e. ice skating) but it is more gimmicky and could care less if I experience those things as it is a minimal amount of time of the overall cruise length - who cares if you flow-ride for a few minutes a day?

Anyway, just my thoughts.

Carnival is the "fun ship". From the moment I get on board, I have a blast. It is an "attitude". I feel like everyone on Carnival expects to have a wonderful fun time, and that is why they do. The ship is rockin from morning until night. I have never had a problem ( nothing major), on any Carnival cruise. The ship is filled with "fun -- down to earth--normal people". No snobs allowed. I feel the food is excellent, the service is excellent, the staff is great, I truly recommend you give it a try.

I have been on both lines and I will be slammed here for saying this but RCL is my first choice with CCL my second. And before I am flammed looked at my signature line and you will see I have a cruise booked on the Carnival Magic next year.

"I" prefer RCL because I am in my early 60s and RCL does cater to the older crowd but I do think that it is up to everyone to try different cruise lines (if they can) at least once. After all how can we honestly compare the difference between cruiselines if we haven't sailed on them.

I love (or maybe hate is a better word) it when people are so vocal about one cruiseline, bashing all the others, when they haven't even sailed on the ones they are bashing.

Anyway, thanks for listening. I just trying to get in my one and a half cents worth (inflation has brought down my two cents.)

They are both good, I have 13 with RCCL and 9 with CCL and I have enjoyed them all, some more then others. I also enjoy NCL, HAL and Princess. They both offer some things that are better then what the others have. If I could take all the fun stuff from RCCL, the relaxation of NCL' s Freestyle, the free sushi from CCL, the comfortable beds from HAL, and the pizza and MUTS from Princess, that would be my dream cruise.

Archived