athens - Thissio metro to the acropolis

LilMissK

Hi,

Can anyone give me a quick idiot's quide on how to get from the Thissio metro station to the acropolis?

Like what direction to walk when we come out the metro station? Is it obvious how to get to the acropolis? Does that way take you to a different entrance to the acropolis? Can we stll buy tickets there?

I've saw photos of very steep stairs with a big queue going up them. Where abouts is that? No matter which way we go in, do we have to go up those stairs (they look a big scary for someone who doesnt like heights much...)

Thanks!

The entire stretch from Thissio Metro to Acropoli metro stations is closed off as the Antiquities Promenade. Here is a map and our report.

http://www.bully4.us/athens.html

If the Acropolis is your main goal and you don't want to do the whole promenade, it is closer from Akropoli station, but you have to make two changes to get there. It is not hard if you follow the Metro map, but watch for your stations.

Yes, you have to climb up the sacred processional way, the Propylia, to get to the Acropolis. It supposedly is 187 steps. It can be very crowded, and slow moving. I walk with a cane and it was quite a struggle for me. BUT -- this is one of the wonders of the world! It was worth it.

There is a picture at the page above.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Hi,

Can anyone give me a quick idiot's quide on how to get from the Thissio metro station to the acropolis?

Like what direction to walk when we come out the metro station? Is it obvious how to get to the acropolis? Does that way take you to a different entrance to the acropolis? Can we stll buy tickets there?

I've saw photos of very steep stairs with a big queue going up them. Where abouts is that? No matter which way we go in, do we have to go up those stairs (they look a big scary for someone who doesnt like heights much...)

Thanks!

http://istopoli.com/cruise/athens.php

http://istopoli.com/cruise/acropolis/cruisers.html

http://www.istopoli.com/cruise/athens-map-thision.html

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Please be very careful with your belongings on the Metro , it is very crowded and the theives love to take your belongings , we were in Athens in April and when we got back to the ship we heard of at least 6 couples who had their belonging taken -- Be warned

I have been trying to find out which stations are currently under reconstruction and closed at this time. I have looked at the Athens Public Transportation website but their information really doesn't say much. I have tried Trip Advisor with no luck. I know Monastiraki to Victoria was scheduled to be closed starting in the fall of 2010 but there was no estimate about re-opening. I know that when stations are closed, one has to go above ground and transfer to a bus. We don't speak or read Greek and I wonder how confusing this might be. We want to go to the National Archaeological Museum. We have used the metro in Athens before and planned to ride to the Victoria stop. Any help would be appreciated.

Just an aside, the fare per ride is increasing to 1.40 euro on Feb.1 2011 and a day pass will cost 4 euro.

Thanks

See you soon

I have been trying to find out which stations are currently under reconstruction and closed at this time. I have looked at the Athens Public Transportation website but their information really doesn't say much. I have tried Trip Advisor with no luck. I know Monastiraki to Victoria was scheduled to be closed starting in the fall of 2010 but there was no estimate about re-opening. I know that when stations are closed, one has to go above ground and transfer to a bus. We don't speak or read Greek and I wonder how confusing this might be. We want to go to the National Archaeological Museum. We have used the metro in Athens before and planned to ride to the Victoria stop. Any help would be appreciated.

Just an aside, the fare per ride is increasing to 1.40 euro on Feb.1 2011 and a day pass will cost 4 euro.

Thanks

See you soon

The Destination Experts on the Athens forum of sister website tripadvisor can provide you with accurate updated information on metro construction clostins. Nick, posting as nick_arch is a wonderful help on that board.

Archived