Cell phone quandary

Signdy

I was ready to rent a Verizon international phone to take on my upcoming trip, but found out they discontinued the program last year. The phone I own does not have global capability and I'd hate to buy a new phone just for this purpose. Does anyone have any experience buying a prepaid phone in Venice? Or should I just buy a prepaid minutes card and look for land lines in ports to make my calls? I don't intend to call home often; just enough to make sure my son hasn't burned the house down!

I was ready to rent a Verizon international phone to take on my upcoming trip, but found out they discontinued the program last year. The phone I own does not have global capability and I'd hate to buy a new phone just for this purpose. Does anyone have any experience buying a prepaid phone in Venice? Or should I just buy a prepaid minutes card and look for land lines in ports to make my calls? I don't intend to call home often; just enough to make sure my son hasn't burned the house down!

My phone has the capabities..and I love it..prior to that we rented. If you will go to Google and put..INTERNATIONAL CELL PHONE RENTAL...you will see several possibilities.

Call Verizon again. I just used their intl loaner phone program without a hitch. Used it Italy, Croatia and Greece. Only had to pay for the shipping. good luck.

You're right ... I should try again. The guy at the Verizon store seemed to know what he was talking about...even gave me the date when the program was stopped (Oct '09). But knowing you've used it recently gives me hope! Thanks for the post.

Thanks, DC. Verizon's "Global Travel Program" is indeed alive and well. It was the "Global Rental Program" that went away. Total cost to rent the phone (including shipping) both directions: $9.99. Can't beat it. Too bad the store rep didn't think to dig deeper.

Archived