Best binoculars for Alaska

jhunger

What does 8 x 32 , 10 x 50 , etc mean in terms of what would be good for Alaska sightseeing?

I know the first number is the times magnification - so that means that for 8x32, the object will be (or can be made?) 8 times larger than I can see it with my regular eyesight (right?).

I get lost on the second number.

Help!

Thanks!

Here is what I found on line:

Objective diameter: The diameter of the objective lens determines how much light can be gathered to form an image. This number directly affects performance. When magnification and quality is equal, the larger the second binocular number, the brighter the image as well as the sharper the image. An 8×40, then, will produce a brighter and sharper image than an 8×25, even though both enlarge the image an identical eight times. The larger front lenses in the 8×40 also produce wider beams of light (exit pupil) that leave the eyepieces. This makes it more comfortable to view with an 8×40 than an 8×25. It is usually expressed in millimeters. It is customary to categorize binoculars by the magnification × the objective diameter; e.g. 7×50.

Smaller number=easier to lug around when not using them, optics not as good, harder to hold steady when viewing, better for kids to hold (with a neck strap).

Bigger number= heaver so easier to hold study when viewing, better for lower light (dusk/dawn) & brighter viewing.

I like my 10x50's.

Archived