Car Seats/Booster Seats for NJ and NY Question

Seraphine

Hi all :)

We'll be travelling with our 5 year old and 18 month old in November. I've checked the car seat laws, and they specify a car seat for our youngest and a booster seat for our oldest. Okay, no problems there.

But... when they say "booster seat", do they mean the 1 piece ones, or the ones with a back on them? At home, our son uses one with a back on it, but it unsnaps into two pieces, a seat and a back. Travelling with only the seat piece would make life easier, but I wanted to check with people to see if there was some sort of difference in the US about this.

Our daughters' car seat weights a ton, so I'm looking for some less heavy options there. She has a rear-facing seat (one with a handle, like a bucket seat) that we stopped using a few months ago as she was allowed to face forward. She still fits it, but I don't know if it's still considered safe for her age and size.

Advice is gratefully received!

Check the label on the side of the car seat for your DD. It should have and height and weight limit printed there. Ours had a weight limit of 30 lbs. We used our "bucket" infant seat (without the base)for travel long after she switched to her forward-facing seat. It was much easier to travel with. Many countries require children to be rear-facing for the fist few YEARS! As long as she meets the manufacture's height/weight requirement, there is no problem with using it.

Our rear-facing seat says "universal weight limit of 13kg" and our daughter is only 10kg! No height limit written on the seat though - I'll have to check that out. Still, that would be great news if we can take that seat instead - the one I'm using now weighs a TON. Thanks for the advice!

And good news about my son's booster - now that I've learned that RCI don't have laundry rooms, my hopes of keeping my packing to a minimum has suffered a bit, so every pound I can cut out of our packing counts a lot right now! (not to mention that I'm travelling alone with two kids and have a tiny baggage allowance for the baby as she's still a lap child... lots of fun!)

Archived