Our cruise experience--Kauai days 1 and 2

annecolorgreen

Kind of a lazy start this morning, but we headed out to the Northeast side of the island and proceeded to drive as far North as we could go. On the way, we stopped at the Kilauea lighthouse and bird sanctuary. I think admission was like $10 and you could get ALMOST similar views from the lookout point for free (since the lighthouse is being renovated and you can't see it). However, it was a good place for a restroom break but a bit expensive for that ;). This was a gorgeous drive between the coconut tree grove, the ocean/beach views and then cliffs and green, green foliage! The town of Hanalei is especially picturesque. Definitely stop at the lookout and look down at the taro fields. The town itself has the most beautiful church--the oldest surviving church on the island and some yummy REAL shaved ice! (we stopped at the "Wishing Well" truck) We found out after the fact that they sometimes have homemade lemonade and serve it over the ice! It looked tasty! I had the shaved ice with ice cream and beans on the bottom and covered in condensed milk :eek:. Somehow, I didn't gain an ounce on this trip!! We did NOT stop at the beaches due to parking issues and time, but they had some wonderful possibilities there for swimming and hiking!

My husband's favorite spot was on the way back--Wiilliams and Zimmer Woodworkers--Koa wood shop (he works with wood). I spent some money there :). A couple spots down from there was a huge quilt shop too.

Back to the ship for a late lunch and then off to the Waimea Canyon! This side of the island is much drier and it shows. We drove all the way up past MM 18 in the park and saw the Na'Pali Coast from the top--it was GORGEOUS!

Dinner on the ship was at the Lazy J Steakhouse--by far our favorite. As this was luau night, several crew members were eating there as well and it was really a fun atmosphere. We also ate there the following night as the prime rib was some of the best we'd had anywhere, the shrimp cocktail was huge, and the crab cakes tasty. To bed early as we we had an early start the following day.

Day 2--we were up at 5:15 am to be at the Port Allen airport at 6:30 am for our flight with Big Sky Kauai. I already posted about this experience but it was definitely a unique, wonderful experience. Our pictures from here were very good too! The Na'Pali Coast and Waimea Canyon from above was indescribable.

Heading back to the ship, my husband was on the hunt for a "Puka Dog" like he had seen on the Travel Channel. It was in a shopping area of Poipu Beach and was very good. We then stopped for a moment at Glass Beach (worth a look) and drove back through the Tree Tunnel. Back in Lihue, we stopped at Hamura's to try some Saimin and lilikoi pie at the recommendation of others. VERY worth the stop for good, cheap, local food.

After returning the car, it was back to the ship for refreshing adult beverages on deck and pool games/music as we left Kauai. We attended the pub crawl later and it was fun but less attended. Later, we went to the final "goodbye" show and saw the fairly funny magician and the VERY funny Kermit. To bed with a smile on my face.

A question about the Na Pali coast sail by - which side of the ship saw it first and do you remember what time that was?

Really enjoyed your reviews - thanks for taking the time to write. We have been on the PoAm before, but we are always looking for new things to do and see.

Dinner on the ship was at the Lazy J Steakhouse--by far our favorite. As this was luau night, several crew members were eating there as well and it was really a fun atmosphere. We also ate there the following night as the prime rib was some of the best we'd had anywhere, the shrimp cocktail was huge, and the crab cakes tasty. To bed early as we we had an early start the following day.

Do you recall if Lazy J's had seafood entrees? DH loves steak but I don't eat it and usually have seafood when we go to a steakhouse.

Heading back to the ship, my husband was on the hunt for a "Puka Dog" like he had seen on the Travel Channel. It was in a shopping area of Poipu Beach and was very good. We then stopped for a moment at Glass Beach (worth a look) and drove back through the Tree Tunnel.

We have Glass Beach on our list of things to see. Was it not that impressive? Did you do the short hike to Keyhole Cave, mentioned in the "Revealed" book?

I thought Glass Beach was fun to see. We saw a lady later who sold sea glass jewelry and she said you really had to go out in it to find something but I enjoyed seeing the specks on the beach. It's in a very industrial area next to Port Allen. We did NOT make the hike. There were many, many things on my list we just didn't have time for. In general, I didn't stress about it and just "went with the flow". You really have to have the "must sees" on your list and then go from there. I tried to work my list around the things I knew my husband would especially enjoy--like the Puka Dog ;).

I honestly don't remember about the menu!! I do remember the huge, yummy shrimp cocktail and crab cakes so I can only assume that there was some type of seafood on the menu??? :o Maybe scallops??? At the reservation area at guest services, they have a copy of each day's menu and most items are available every day. You can also juggle around reservations. (we went to Lazy J's twice instead of Little Italy)

Hope this helps!

Ginny--that's why I tried to be as detailed as possible although I know that is boring for some. I had read and printed out a review someone had done on Hilo...and because of the times listed, I was able to see that we could make it to Akaka Falls and back to the ship on time. Otherwise, I don't think we would have tried and we would have missed out. I found reviews to be SO helpful in our planning!

Ginny--that's why I tried to be as detailed as possible although I know that is boring for some. I had read and printed out a review someone had done on Hilo...and because of the times listed, I was able to see that we could make it to Akaka Falls and back to the ship on time. Otherwise, I don't think we would have tried and we would have missed out. I found reviews to be SO helpful in our planning!

That is so true. The only wild card I have here is whether or not to do the luau (Smith Family - not the ship's). We are waiting to hear from family members in Maui to see whether we will be doing the luau there or somewhere else (Kuai or Oahu). We do want to get to one. IF we do the luau in Kuai my hope would be to do what you did, but in reverse. We would go to the canyon in the AM and the north shaore in the PM, stopping at the luau on the way back. I think, form what you posted, we could get it done. No idea what we would do on Day 2 yet.:confused:

I think you could...if you didn't have to stop back at the ship to change and didn't plan to spend much time getting out on either trip (we didn't). You would want to leave a little extra time in case of traffic since those roads have very little alternative options.

You could always turn your car in and hang out at the shopping area and/or beach right by the ship. There is a free shuttle that takes you there. There is also a free shuttle to Hilo Hatties and I'm pretty sure to KMart or walmart. It would maybe be a good day to sleep in. Believe me, you'll need it ;).

• 2 weeks later...

wow, thanks, Anne for the fab review - love the detail and it's not boring at all!

My Kauai Revealed book arrives tomorrow - yay! We do the POA in Feb, 2011 and are just now trying to figure out our itinerary.

We are considering a helicopter tour the second day on Kauai -- some say if we see it all from above we don't really need to take the time to go to the Canyon on the ground - what do you think? I know it is a diff perspective - but am interested in your thoughts.

I am sure to have more questions - but love the snacks you suggested. :) Love local foods. We had the bean shaved ice treat on Oahu years ago -- 'different' and glad I tried it. :)

I had asked that same question (about seeing the canyon from the road) and went ahead and did it because we "had the time". My husband was tired and not up to anymore hiking, etc...so time in the car together seemed like a good plan. IF you have other priorities, you should skip it (it'll take you three hours'ish???) to go up and back. If you have the time, do it! We saw the NaPali Coast from the "ground" (the end of the canyon road overlooks it), the sky, and the boat and loved it all.

I would say to definitely do the air tour if you can afford it. I loved our experience.

Feel free to ask more questions.

Kuai is the one place I have no idea what we are going to do yet. Thank you for the report as it gives me ideas about what I can fit into our time structure.

We are using http://www.kauaiedentours.com/ for our private our in April. Have been working with Karen for the last few months, she even called me at home..you may want to look into that.:o

I have a question.... We are looking to leave from port (Nawiliwili) and go see Waimea Canyon, Spouting Horn and Wailua Falls.... Is that the order we should go? Should we leave port head to Waimea Canyon, stop at Spouting Horn on the way back then go to Wailua Falls and head north?

Or go to Wailua Falls first, then spouting horn, then Waimea Canyon to head north to NaPali Coast?

We have no other activities planned for this day...

I have a question.... We are looking to leave from port (Nawiliwili) and go see Waimea Canyon, Spouting Horn and Wailua Falls.... Is that the order we should go? Should we leave port head to Waimea Canyon, stop at Spouting Horn on the way back then go to Wailua Falls and head north?

Or go to Wailua Falls first, then spouting horn, then Waimea Canyon to head north to NaPali Coast?

We have no other activities planned for this day...

I think it's really personal preference but several people have advised to go to Waimea Canyon in the morning as soon as you get off the ship because it gets really packed later because of the big bus tours. If I recall correctly, some said the visibility is better first thing in the morning too.

Archived