Transatlantic Cruises

purrcycat

I am considering a transatlantic cruise in 2011. What would be the best time to go with regard to weather and rough seas (not sure I want to be tossed around too much)? I have only been on one other cruise which was relatively calm.

Does anyone have any "scary" rough waters stories to share?

Thank you! :cool:

Most people prefer the fall crossings to the spring crossings as you receive 25 hour days instead of 23 hour days. Also the weather (on average) is a bit warmer since the ocean has been warming all summer whereas on spring crossing the ocean has been cooling all winter. Cunard is the only line that I know of that does regular crossings aside from spring and fall (when the other lines reposition there ships for the season).

If the potential of rough seas poses a problem though, a crossing may not be a wide choice. You will be at sea for 6-7 straight days and the weather/seas are totally unpredictable. On any given sailing the seas can be as smooth as glass or have 30 foot (or higher) waves. Often there is a combination of a few days that are fairly calm and one or two rough days. The fall crossings are also generally during the latter portion of hurricane season, so rough weather due to a big storm is possible.

On average the more southernly route a crossing takes, the less likely rough seas or to occur, but high seas can even occur on a southern route. An example of a southernly route would be Barcelona to Miami. An example of a northerly route would be London area to New York.

Most people prefer the fall crossings to the spring crossings as you receive 25 hour days instead of 23 hour days.
Westbound crossings are 25 hour days and eastbound crossings are 23 hours regardless of thether they're done in spring or fall (unless it coincides with Summer time changes)... :confused:

Westbound crossings are 25 hour days and eastbound crossings are 23 hours regardless of thether they're done in spring or fall (unless it coincides with Summer time changes)... :confused:

In vast majority of fall crossings are ships relocating from Europe to do Caribbean sailings for the winter (hence Westbound). The vast majority of spring crossings are ships relocating from the Caribbean to Europe for the summer (hence Eastbound). As I mentioned in my previous post the exception is Cunard which offers some transatlantics year round. Not sure what part about that you struggled to understand? :confused:

Most people prefer the fall crossings to the spring crossings as you receive 25 hour days instead of 23 hour days. Also the weather (on average) is a bit warmer since the ocean has been warming all summer whereas on spring crossing the ocean has been cooling all winter. Cunard is the only line that I know of that does regular crossings aside from spring and fall (when the other lines reposition there ships for the season).

If the potential of rough seas poses a problem though, a crossing may not be a wide choice. You will be at sea for 6-7 straight days and the weather/seas are totally unpredictable. On any given sailing the seas can be as smooth as glass or have 30 foot (or higher) waves. Often there is a combination of a few days that are fairly calm and one or two rough days. The fall crossings are also generally during the latter portion of hurricane season, so rough weather due to a big storm is possible.

On average the more southernly route a crossing takes, the less likely rough seas or to occur, but high seas can even occur on a southern route. An example of a southernly route would be Barcelona to Miami. An example of a northerly route would be London area to New York.

Thank you!

You could do far worse than take advantage of this deal that is advertised on Cruise Critic http://www.cruisecritic.com/bargains/news.cfm?NewsID=9892. Even the time is perfect; by May the Atlantic is warming up, guaranteeing you a joyous weather in Europe.

Wow! Thanks for the link, that looks like a great deal.

You could do far worse than take advantage of this deal that is advertised on Cruise Critic http://www.cruisecritic.com/bargains/news.cfm?NewsID=9892. Even the time is perfect; by May the Atlantic is warming up, guaranteeing you a joyous weather in Europe.

We did a TA on the Solstice in April 2009. Weather was crisp but quite nice every day. The outdoor pool area is protected from the wind, so bathing suits are fine. There were no significant rough weather issues, and the ship has excellent stabilizers. This is a great ship!

One thing, We got a very good rate booking well in advance. There are no guarantees of course, but on a ship this size, the cruise probably won't fill up, and last minute deals will be great. I spoke to at least one person who paid $950 for a balcony on the 15 cruise to Rome.

Paul

Archived