What do you do with your scooter in the MDR?

Seraphine

Hi all, me again :)

When we go on the Explorer of the Seas next month, is the main dining room big enough for a scooter? Or is there a place off to the side to park it? My dad can walk very short distances, but wouldn't be able to manage from our rooms to the MDR.

Can someone advise us?

When we go on the Explorer of the Seas next month, is the main dining room big enough for a scooter? Or is there a place off to the side to park it? My dad can walk very short distances, but wouldn't be able to manage from our rooms to the MDR.

Can someone advise us?

Usually one of the waiters will "park" your scooter for you somewhere along side the dining room and out of "traffic", and then help you (well, your dad) get to his seat. Or, if you go to the dining room on the first day (usually there will be a time noted in your daily cruise newsletter), you can talk to the maitre'D to request a table near the door.

But generally no, you wouldn't be able to drive your scooter very far into the dining room.

Thanks Uppitycats :)

I'll mention to my TA to see if she can request a table fairly close to the door for us. I mean, he could probably make it across the dining room if he wasn't tuckered out getting to the dining room (meaning, if he takes the scooter).

With HAL, I am allowed to drive my scooter to my table (I also bring my cane) and take my seat. The Steward takes my scooter (they always put it on snail pace, the slowest setting) and drive it to the front, just inside the MDR, park it there and bring me the key.

When I am ready to leave the MDR, I let my steward know and he or his assistant takes the key and brings me my scooter.

I think it might depend upon the cruise line and how much room between the tables. But, on HAL, I've never had a problem scooting to and from my table, even at the back of the MDR.

Joanie

Like Joanie - I always was able to "drive" my scooter to my

dinner table on HAL ships. But due to pre-cruise requests,

I was always assigned a table w/in reasonable distance from

the entry.

The dining room attendants seemed to take pleasure in

"driving" my scooter to an appropriate "parking place".

Please request that that person returns with the key

to your scooter. Otherwise, some unauthorized

person may decide to take your scooter for a joy ride !

Once I updated to a power chair - I just sat in that

chair during dinner and was very comfortable.

The OP is on Royal Caribbean, and not HAL and that makes a big difference. I was not able to get my scooter very far on any of Explorer's sister ships, because their tables are so very close together. What I had to do was either get a table near to the entrance or else park my scooter right outside the restaurant and use my walker or cane to get to my table. If my sister is traveling with me, I scooter as close to the table as I could and then my sister would take the scooter and park it outside the restaurant.

I think we'd be quite happy parking outside and walking in, but just want to ensure the scooter isn't in anyone's way, and is secure (yes, we'll remember to take the key - good tip!)

I mentioned it to my TA, and she advised us to speak to the Maitre'D. So I'll wander over the afternoon we get there, check on the table assignment, and ask the staff where we should park.

You guys have been so great - thank you so much for your kind responses to all my questions. I just want to be prepared and help my dad have a great experience. I know he's self concious, and hates causing a fuss or trouble for anyone. He's brand new to cruising, and we are new to this cruiseline, and I'm just not sure how things need to work. I'm not trying to micromanage everything, but am just trying to iron out some of the big questions before we get there.

You've been fantastic!!!

I think we'd be quite happy parking outside and walking in, but just want to ensure the scooter isn't in anyone's way, and is secure (yes, we'll remember to take the key - good tip!)

I mentioned it to my TA, and she advised us to speak to the Maitre'D. So I'll wander over the afternoon we get there, check on the table assignment, and ask the staff where we should park.

You guys have been so great - thank you so much for your kind responses to all my questions. I just want to be prepared and help my dad have a great experience. I know he's self concious, and hates causing a fuss or trouble for anyone. He's brand new to cruising, and we are new to this cruiseline, and I'm just not sure how things need to work. I'm not trying to micromanage everything, but am just trying to iron out some of the big questions before we get there.

You've been fantastic!!!

Glad to try and be of a little help:)

I do NOT think you are micromanaging anything!! I think you are being a great child and trying to make sute that not only your dad, but you yourself have a great time.

I think your dad and you are going to have a great cruise!!

Joanie

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone advise us?

My husband uses a pwer chair. When we have been on Enchantment he was able to ride his chair to the back of DR where our table was. The staff then "parked" it & brought it when we were ready to leave. When u board the ship make a trip to DR & talk with maitre d about where ur seat is. it can be changed to accomadate your dad, no problems. I was told the cruise lines do not do theier own table seatings, that an outside company does that. I don't think they know who has special needs. This cruise my husband found it easier to just sit in his chair & they removed the dining chair. Also mos chairs I have seen have arms which are uncomfortable for us "big" people. By asking they will have an amless chair for you. THey are vey good doing whatever you need for a great trip. just ask!

On all the RCI ships where I have used power scooters, I have gone to my dining table, transferred to my dining chair, and then the assistant waiter has taken the scooter to park it, reversing the process ater the meal. Everyone has always been most accomodating.

Happy travelling.

Archived