Picture slideshow - Carnival Spirit in Alaska

aljo66

Dear All,

I have posted a picture slide show on you-tube of our pictures from our Alaska cruise in August - the cabin is 8275 an aft balcony:-

Also a video of the Salmon migrating:-

Hope you all enjoy and thanks for all your help with preparing for this totally unforgetable holiday.

If you have not been to Alaska - all I can say is book now :-)

Alun.

2 more to finish with - I have many more from the more than 4000 photos we took - but not sure if people find these interesting or helpful.

If you have any questions about the cruise, Alaska or any comments on the videos/photos I will be very happy to answer them.

Alun.

We had a fantastic time - still have the glow a full 2 months after the vacation :-)

If anyone is thinking an Alaska vacation is too expensive I can tell you that the cost per smile and memory is much less than many other holidays we have been on.

Thanks for you kind comments.

Alun.

Oh my gosh! This brought back so many memories . . . we did a cruisetour of the Canadian Rockies and the Inside Passage with Princess about 8 years ago. It was so awesome that we are taking the kids next summer on the cruise for our 40th anniversary. Weren't the Columbia Icefields amazing? Our driver had a bottle of Glen Levitt (sp?) and mixed everyone a drink with the glacier water. How many times in your life will you ever get to do that? Thanks for all of the great pix. We are definitely going to do the tram in Juneau as we missed that last time. We also want to do the ducks in Ketchican . . . we have done the original army ones in the Wisconsin Dells many times . . . how were these? Did they go into the ocean or just a lake? Do you remember how much they cost? Have already done the whale watching and the White Pass train which were both totally perfect! But we missed the salmon spawning so will try to catch that in Ketchican too. Would like to see the bears catching salmon but that excursion is VERY pricey . . . but might break down and do it anyway. Anything that you thought was a DO NOT MISS that we haven't mentioned? Thanks in advance for your answers. We are so excited!

Ooops! Forgot to tell you how absolutely adorable the pictures of your son are! He is so photogenic! I hope he had a blast! We have 3 sons (all grown now of course) but they still love to travel with us when they can because we took them everywhere when they were young. It creates quite a bond plus instills the wanderlust in them too. Hope you have many more trips together!

Thanks for the kind comments.

The Duck in Ketchikan was OK - we basically went across to the airport which is on the opposite coast to Ketchikan town - where there was a bald eagle nesting. The main benefit was that we got to see where the Salmon creek was and got our bearings for walking around. The thing that made Ketchikan was the salmon as most of the salmon pictures in the creek and swimming up the waterfall were taken there. Also we only had a few hours there - so that took most of our time.

The cost was $100 total for 2 adults and a child booked direct.

We also did the dog sled ride with a bus/train tour in Skagway and the dog sled was just so much fun. I am assuming one on snow would have been much better again - but this was great for us for the cost.

One excursion we did not go on - but was appreciated by all that we talked to was the seperate small boat trip in Tracey Arm (you can see the boat on my glacier video) - which got closer to everything than the ship could get. But as you could see you could get good pictures from the ship too.

Last thing - the aft cabin was so worth it as we had great views at all times - and sitting watching whales go past with a glass of wine in your hand cannot be beaten.

If you have more questions let me know.

Alun.

I really enjoyed your slide shows. Thanks so much for posting them!! Did you book your shore excursions through the cruise line? Are you going to write a full review? I have never cruised to Alaska but am considering it for next year. It will probably be a one time only deal so I want to make sure I do it right. BTW - your son is very cute!

Did you book your shore excursions through the cruise line? Are you going to write a full review? I have never cruised to Alaska but am considering it for next year. It will probably be a one time only deal so I want to make sure I do it right.

We booked all excursions directly with the vendors - Chilcoot Tours in Skagway were excellent and the bus/train trip was a long day but well worth it.

Juneau is very easy to do yourself and we enjoyed the tramway and also took the blue bus to the Glacier.

My biggest tip if this is going to be a one time thing - try and coincide your visit to the Salmon migration as that was just spectacular.

The Alaska boards on cruise critic are also fantastic with many very knowledgable people who can help with all the numerous other tour options available. My only warning is that excursions are expensive - but as you say this is probably a one time thing :-)

At the moment I do not have time for a full review - but as time comes available I do hope to write one.

Thanks for your kind comments.

Alun.

Great photos there Alun ! Your choice of background music is most approperate. The little boy is cute as well.

Alaska is by far my favorite cruise destination.

I think I saw in your glacier slideshow Alberta? I just returned from Banff myself.

Indeed - there is Alberta as well.

The slideshow is a compilation of our round trip from Calgary with the cruise from Seattle in the middle. So also many pictures from British Columbia. The great thing is that the scenery was always so beautiful wherever we were and there seemed to be an aaaah moment around every corner.

My son's cute looks can be deceptive - he is just as cheeky as any 5 year old :)

Indeed - there is Alberta as well.

The slideshow is a compilation of our round trip from Calgary with the cruise from Seattle in the middle. So also many pictures from British Columbia. The great thing is that the scenery was always so beautiful wherever we were and there seemed to be an aaaah moment around every corner.

My son's cute looks can be deceptive - he is just as cheeky as any 5 year old :)

Cheeky or not, he seems to have been enjoying his cruise.

Next time I go to Alberta, I plan to go all the way to Jasper and the Columbia Icefields. I take those icefields are worth the trip.

Definitely worth the trip - even on a cold, windy day like the one when we were there :-)

The drive from Jasper to Banff is one of the most beautiful drives I have ver taken.

If you are going via Whistler then the Peak to Peak Gondola is also definitely worth a visit.

Alun

Definitely worth the trip - even on a cold, windy day like the one when we were there :-)

The drive from Jasper to Banff is one of the most beautiful drives I have ver taken.

If you are going via Whistler then the Peak to Peak Gondola is also definitely worth a visit.

Alun

maybe some day I can do that.

Archived