You're going on ANOTHER cruise?

texaridian

Double income, no kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ohhhhhhhh! Thanks Eithne, you've been all kinds of help to me today!

Guess that makes me a SITK-BIC - single income, two kids-both in college;)

I love being a DINK!

We are Dinks too - altho' i am now retired, and I still get a monthly $$...love love love to cruise and relatives and some friends just don't understand - like I am showing off - don't get that part but that's fine! I am happy and I don't care what they think!! ha!ha! When I was working, no one asked me where I was going on my vacation cuz they knew the answer...when I went on my 2nd cruise, they said AGAIN? then the 20th, the 30th, so on and so on...as a lot of you have said, thank goodness for CC and all my cruise friends whom I can talk Cruise Talk with..........Corkey

We are Dinks too - altho' i am now retired, and I still get a monthly $$...love love love to cruise and relatives and some friends just don't understand - like I am showing off - don't get that part but that's fine! I am happy and I don't care what they think!! ha!ha! When I was working, no one asked me where I was going on my vacation cuz they knew the answer...when I went on my 2nd cruise, they said AGAIN? then the 20th, the 30th, so on and so on...as a lot of you have said, thank goodness for CC and all my cruise friends whom I can talk Cruise Talk with..........Corkey

Yes, thank goodness for my cc friends as well. Being that we are only in our late 20's, it is hard to find cruise friends our age, but we love our retired cruise friends!

Yes, thank goodness for my cc friends as well. Being that we are only in our late 20's, it is hard to find cruise friends our age, but we love our retired cruise friends!

--be glad to be your cruise friend -- we travel with different groups, friends we have met on different cruises - in '07 we met up with a nice group from the East Coast and have gone on 3 reunion cruises with them already - this Dec will be our 4th together - then I have my CA group whom we get together with on 'land' as well! visit, chat and talk about.... what else!!? Cruises!! Corkey

EithneMay:

I am seeing that you are going on the Monarch this summer - I love that ship - she used to sail from So-Cal to Ensenada when she was in CA --miss the 3 and 4 day sailings on her - Corkey

EithneMay:

I am seeing that you are going on the Monarch this summer - I love that ship - she used to sail from So-Cal to Ensenada when she was in CA --miss the 3 and 4 day sailings on her - Corkey

I need to change my signature, as we actually had to cancel that cruise! The dates did not line up!

We have 2 children and have started bringing them with us every other cruise. We try to do one family vacation and one Big Kids vacation each year. This November will be our 3rd cruise in a year. Our friends are jealous & think we're nuts. Our kids are upset they aren't coming on this one with us. We'll be saving a while for the next one though. We have 2 16th birthdays, my husband turns 40 and our 25th wedding anniversary all take place within 16 months of each other so we're planning a 15 day cruise to someplace Europe with the whole family.

I just tell people that we are lucky to be able to have these travel options and that we appreciate the opportunity to live life now. We didn't want to wait to travel and have one of us get sick and be unable to travel.

We have 2 children and have started bringing them with us every other cruise. We try to do one family vacation and one Big Kids vacation each year. This November will be our 3rd cruise in a year. Our friends are jealous & think we're nuts. Our kids are upset they aren't coming on this one with us. We'll be saving a while for the next one though. We have 2 16th birthdays, my husband turns 40 and our 25th wedding anniversary all take place within 16 months of each other so we're planning a 15 day cruise to someplace Europe with the whole family.

I just tell people that we are lucky to be able to have these travel options and that we appreciate the opportunity to live life now. We didn't want to wait to travel and have one of us get sick and be unable to travel.

Good for you! have been on several TA's and a Best of Europe, but have not done the Med Cruise and should put that on my Must Do list -- plus Australia and NZ -

Congrats on all your special events!! Corkey

• 1 month later...

To answer the OP. I NEVER feel guilty. I live my life in a certain way so that I can do what I want. Everyone has that option. Some simply choose not to exercise it. That has nothing to do with me. One day I might live otherwise and I won't blame others for my choices.

We're kind of DINKs. I work freelance...when I feel like it, and the rest of the time I just plan vacations. :o

In the next 14 months we have seven land trips of one week or longer plus five cruises planned. We worked, saved and now that we're retired we're enjoying life. Couldn't care less what others think - it's our life and we're enjoying it the way we want to. :D

Edited by geospyder

We enjoy cruising because it is so much easier than a land based vacation. We just did a land vacation in March, and while we have a great time, we were constantly on the go. I get a little grief from some of the guys I work with as does my wife. I just tell them, I don't owe anything on my cars, my home is almost paid off, and we had our kids young, they are now grown and on their own and our time is just that, OUR TIME. I have too many friends that say they can't afford to cruise, but these are also the same people that have to have a new car, or need all the newest fashions. I have one sister in law that travels a lot and can fully understand why we go as often as we do. Then there is the other sister in law that sees vacationing as a waste of money. We just don't wanna be those peolle that said we always wanted to do_____. I can't believe that anybody ever died saying " I had too much fun in my life"

Scott

We enjoy cruising because it is so much easier than a land based vacation. We just did a land vacation in March, and while we have a great time, we were constantly on the go. I get a little grief from some of the guys I work with as does my wife. I just tell them, I don't owe anything on my cars, my home is almost paid off, and we had our kids young, they are now grown and on their own and our time is just that, OUR TIME. I have too many friends that say they can't afford to cruise, but these are also the same people that have to have a new car, or need all the newest fashions. I have one sister in law that travels a lot and can fully understand why we go as often as we do. Then there is the other sister in law that sees vacationing as a waste of money. We just don't wanna be those peolle that said we always wanted to do_____. I can't believe that anybody ever died saying " I had too much fun in my life"

Scott

I love your post and perspective.

Everyone has their own preference on what they spend their money on. When people are spending money on flights, hotels, car rentals, etc. we're spending it on cruises. Best way to vacation in our opinions.

Today we were just talk about that. Fly to Vegas? Just the flight costs for each cost the same if not more of the cruise rate, which doesn't include food or hotel! Go drive somewhere? Hotel cost and food could add up to a cruise. So, we just choose a cruise. Besides, the atmosphere is what we love about it.

We do not have children yet or even a pet, so we have little expenses. This is our way of vacationing.

And shortly after this post, I got pregnant (completely planned).

Lil man is almost 5 months now!

Sent from Tapatalk

uploadfromtaptalk1343869567015.jpg.d30af5959f2eba46f7bf96c9f83451cf.jpg

What a good thread! Thanks for getting this conversation going.

I sent out an invitation to a group of friends and acquaintances to have them join me on a cruise to Alaska. Most were very excited for me, even if they could not go, but one replied back that he would rather “spend the money on my family than go on a swanky cruise.”

His response just struck me as a sad statement. It’s such a pity that some have to respond to a happy event with a snarky comment, rather than just being happy for someone else.

I would've responded with "Material items only last so long, while memories last a lifetime."

This is something my Dad does for his 4 children, their SO/spouses and his grandchildren. We have taken so many family vacays that are all special, no gift could top it!

Sent from Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Stumbled upon this thread and LOVE it, as I get it a lot as well. I am young, still single and LOVE to travel! They ask..how do you it??? I answer the same way...Priorities my friend! I busted my way through 6 years of college (Master's Degree) by working 2 jobs...Paid off my 1 loan the first year after graduation.

I now work as much OT as I can, and take as many vacations as I can: cruises and land vacations. Most people are nice about it "Boy, I need to be a better saver", the ones that get nasty, I say "Well, if you stopped buying coffee and a muffin each morning, brought your lunch to work and stopped smoking, maybe you would choose to spend your $$ differently".

I do not feel guilty for anything I do! I work hard and deserve it!

• 6 months later...

While raising 4 children, we didn't have the money to take fancy vacations. We rented cabins every year at the state park and loved it!

Now that all the kids are grown and out of the house, my husband is retired ( I am still working) we go on as many vacations a year as my vacation time allows! We did without for a long time and now we are making up for it! Some years we take 3 cruises and sometimes just one or two and some land vacations... People at work are always asking " when is your next cruise?" and I love telling them! Life is good .....

While raising 4 children, we didn't have the money to take fancy vacations. We rented cabins every year at the state park and loved it!

Now that all the kids are grown and out of the house, my husband is retired ( I am still working) we go on as many vacations a year as my vacation time allows! We did without for a long time and now we are making up for it! Some years we take 3 cruises and sometimes just one or two and some land vacations... People at work are always asking " when is your next cruise?" and I love telling them! Life is good .....

I can't wait until we're done paying tuition, housing, sorority and dance class fees. Right now, we pay more for my daughters housing at school than we do our mortgage on a 4 br house. You better believe when all this is through we'll be following your example and take the money and time for ourselves! We've earned it! ;)

• 5 weeks later...

I'm a social worker that just got back from Australia! One of the doctors I work with said 'how can you afford to go to Australia??!' He's a psychiatrist and his wife is a social worker. I just told him that mommy and daddy enjoy spoiling their little girl. He's such a card with his sense of humor!

I work very hard and it's a stressful job! I'm entitled to a break.

• 1 month later...
I am going on my first cruise in February, and one of the reasons it has taken so long was my misconception on how much it would cost! I had always wanted to go on one, but I was so scared that it would be impossible so I never even bothered to look it up. When I saw how low the price actually was I was shocked! Maybe some people don't realize how affordable it actually is!

I find this to be the biggest reason. Once people finally try cruising just once and realize it isn't just for the rich, most of them start looking forward to that next one. The people who feel burned are the ones who can't accept that ONLY the ship is within their budget; not all of the excursions. But the ship has activities all day!

My last few years of work my answer was, "I work to travel." I don't spend my children's inheritance. They will inherit more than I did -- my life insurance. I've saved diligently and I retired early and am spending in comfort. My standard of comfort has risen to a junior suite....at least until I get to the next point level. :p

My last few years of work my answer was, "I work to travel." I don't spend my children's inheritance. They will inherit more than I did -- my life insurance. I've saved diligently and I retired early and am spending in comfort. My standard of comfort has risen to a junior suite....at least until I get to the next point level. :p

Good for you! No reason why you can't enjoy the rewards of your hard work and savings.