You're going on ANOTHER cruise?

texaridian

We take a big (2 week) trip every other year, and I just tell people the truth. We don't have kids, we both work, and this is how we like to spend our money. They know we live in a modest home and drive a modest car. Anything else is NOTB.

• 2 weeks later...

...and are you going to eat Chicken cesear salad again for lunch ?

Mind your business...

I hate that....I also get " your going to Disney Again???"

Why can't people just say hey are you going to your______(favoriteplace) again this year? what are you most looking forward to. They should try and be excitied for you and understand why you love it so much.

• 2 weeks later...
I love to cruise, as I guess most of us on here do. But sometimes when people find out I've got another one planned, I get the impression that they are wondering about my finances. When it comes down to it, I think a cruise is a very good use of entertainment money. I seldom go to movies, never go to clubs...I just save up for cruises.

Still, in these times of financial hardship for many, I almost feel guilty for being able to afford this pleasure. Has anyone else encountered this? If so, how do you respond?

Carol

Yep, I feel your pain.

I don't even tell people I'm going on a cruise till I'm ready to go. And it's on a need-to-know basis....as in my across the street neighbor who keeps an eye on my house, my sister (in case of an emergency with our elderly mother), and my two sons.

I often find myself becoming defensive when others find out I'm going (or have been) on a cruise, even though it's nobody's business. DH took early retirement so we could travel while still able.

As said before...it's all about priorities! Now for me, I have to fly to a port so the expenses can add up quickly, but if I lived within driving distance to a port, I'd be cruising 3 or 4 times a year! I work hard and value my vacation time! And like others have said, I don't go to clubs, I don't spend alot of money on entertainment so this is my "fun money"!

Don't feel guilty! If you can afford it, then you've earned it!:)

Amazing comments! We've NEVER had anyone make an adverse comment about our cruising. (I would simply ignore it if they did.) We're retired, so we are supposed to be doing a lot of traveling. (We cruise, we fly, we drive - like cross-country in a classic car -...... we enjoy life. While we can.)

As far as kids inheritance... they're doing quite nicely, thanks, and would prefer to have happy parents around than $ in the bank.

Edited by UpcountryTravelers
typo

I just told someone the other day that my husband and I are going on another cruise in October and they said they were waiting for their kids to get older I asked why because if you add you add up car rental, hotel or romm accomidations, meals and entertainment you come out spending more money then a cruise she replied "You know you're right we went to Disneyland and it was outrageous what we paid then all my kids wanted to do was hang out at the hotel room I had to threatened them to go to Epcot" I thought that was funny.:cool:

Everyone has their own preference on what they spend their money on. When people are spending money on flights, hotels, car rentals, etc. we're spending it on cruises. Best way to vacation in our opinions.

Today we were just talk about that. Fly to Vegas? Just the flight costs for each cost the same if not more of the cruise rate, which doesn't include food or hotel! Go drive somewhere? Hotel cost and food could add up to a cruise. So, we just choose a cruise. Besides, the atmosphere is what we love about it.

We do not have children yet or even a pet, so we have little expenses. This is our way of vacationing.

Edited by Mrs.C05

• 2 weeks later...

we try to cruise at least 1 or 2 times a year and sometimes when people say you are going on another cruise?--i think they are jealous they cant!

we go and do what we can when we can and its really no ones business how we travel or spend our money!

i want to go now and not wait til i am older or retired cos sometimes those "Golden" years ARENT!!:(

since we started to take longer cruises that is what we get now....2 weeks on a boat, which i reply no FANTASTIC 2 weeks on a SHIP:D

We started cruising about 9 years ago for my parents 50th Anniversary. We absolutely loved it and we haven't stopped since. If we aren't on a cruise, we are planning one. We drive crappy old cars, we carry our lunch to work, we don't give extravagant gifts for Christmas or birthdays, If I spend more than $30 for a pair of shoes, I'm afraid to wear them. I don't have hired help, even lawn maintenance, I don't have any club memberships, I don't go to a gym..but every single time someone asks "didn't you just get back from a cruise" or "when's the next cruise planned" and I answer them, I get the sarcastic, "wish I was rich" or "wish I had that kind of money" or similar. I'm a nice person because I know the spending habits of the individuals and I could say, "Wish I had the money to buy a Harley-Davidson 'cause that would take me on several cruises every year" or "wish I had the money for the kind of designer clothing you buy" or "wish I had the money to pay for 4 kids in private school" or "wish I had the money to buy a Lexus..." "wish I could afford those shoes" Wish I could afford lunch out every day" ..and on and on. I would never consider making remarks like they do about the cruising and I'll admit, I feel like I have to defend how and why we can afford to cruise. WE SCRIMP AND SAVE ALL YEAR...SOMETIMES WE HAVE TO SCRIMP AND SAVE FOR 2 YEARS FOR A CRUISE. I agree, it's no one's business, but for some reason, people feel it's ok to be snarky when they hear you are going on a cruise. Tacky people ask these type questions and I just try to remember that they've had no upbringing whatsoever to make such remarks.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I know it shouldn't prickle me like it does, but I hate it when other cruisers ask me at dinner how many cruises I have been on. It makes me feel like they are trying to figure out whether I am worth talking to or not.

I just tell folks, tomorrow I could drop dead, so today I'll choose to live.

I work 7 days most weeks, right now in order to keep my two retail stores afloat. Like some other posters I choose to save a certain portion of my money towards vacations. I save change; I stash gift cards and reward cards; I got an Amex rewards card; I sell some stuff on Ebay. I also carry lunch most days.

On our first cruise I paid our on S & S bill with my Ebay money.

My next cruise was paid for with the money I DIDN'T lose on my recent trip to Vegas. LOL.

If you want to save some bucks for a cruise it can be easy to trim your expenses or generate some extra cash if you are creative.:D

• 2 weeks later...

I So love this thread! I am so lucky that my DH & I are on the same page about cruising. We absolutely love it. Every so often I look up land based vacations just to refresh my memory-and usually within 5 minutes I am right back on the cruise websites-there is just no better way to go (IMO). There are major misconceptions about the price of a cruise-it really is the best way to get the most for your money-I dare anyone to go get a hotel, all three meals, snacks, deserts etc, as well as comedy shows and entertainment..nevermind waking up in a new place everyday-for less $ than a cruise.

I love this thread and all the comments made (and DH & I are also on the No kids plan-we want to LIVE our lives!!!) Happy Cruising to all you awesome people!

Oh yes, I forgot to mention some family members who remark at our cruising lifestyle (which is not even much-we are trying to make 2/yr our goal, but are not even close yet) and how 'it must be nice'. Meanwhile they are replacing perfectly nice couches, window dressings and painting over paint...well there you go-if you come to my house you better expect that same couch to be there until it starts to rip! Thats perfectly good cruising $$!!

HI Am reading this thread with great interest. I have just been diagnosed with a serious and lifeshortening illness. We have cruised many many times and have often had people make comments, but this has never bothered us. I have been told that if this disease follows its course I will be housebound within less than 2 years and possibly not live much longer than 5 more years. As I have said to DH I will NOT be saying " I wish I had cruised less" when my time comes. We are trying to arrange as many cruises as time and finances will allow before I am unable to do them. SO next time you feel someone thinks badly of you for cruising so much, don't let it bother you. (Hope this post doesnt bring anyone down ):)

HI Am reading this thread with great interest. I have just been diagnosed with a serious and lifeshortening illness. We have cruised many many times and have often had people make comments, but this has never bothered us. I have been told that if this disease follows its course I will be housebound within less than 2 years and possibly not live much longer than 5 more years. As I have said to DH I will NOT be saying " I wish I had cruised less" when my time comes. We are trying to arrange as many cruises as time and finances will allow before I am unable to do them. SO next time you feel someone thinks badly of you for cruising so much, don't let it bother you. (Hope this post doesnt bring anyone down ):)

I too was diagnosed with a serious and lifeshortening illness about 18 mos ago. We too have cruised many times and we always have people make comments about the cruises we go on. When I was diagnosed, we immediately made plans for a cruise for my daughters, who are grown, and my Grandson and I. We had a wonderful time. We have a cruise planned for July. I wasn't so sure I would make it last year this time, but we are getting so close, I can smell the ocean. I have learned to appreciate the things we've done and the wonderful memories we have of our cruises. Every cruise is special and now they are even more special. I hope it doesn't bring anyone down, but let's everyone know they have no excuses or apologies to make to anyone about cruising so much. Enjoy yourself!! :D

I smile sweetly and say "just spending the childrens inheritance" ...not true.

I love this! I can't believe my parents have not started saying this to me yet :) They created a monster with me, I am addicted to cruising. Have 2 booked. But we save every month for them. Best way to travel!

my next cruise is 17days long then 5 days in vagas on the way home.

i felt it was irresponsible to take a 22day vacation,then my dw told me it just may be jealousy on part of everyone else,i tend to agree :cool:

• 7 months later...
I love to cruise, as I guess most of us on here do. But sometimes when people find out I've got another one planned, I get the impression that they are wondering about my finances. When it comes down to it, I think a cruise is a very good use of entertainment money. I seldom go to movies, never go to clubs...I just save up for cruises.

Still, in these times of financial hardship for many, I almost feel guilty for being able to afford this pleasure. Has anyone else encountered this? If so, how do you respond?

Carol

We do the same and get the same response... ANOTHER??? Yep, another cruise... And then show them the great deal we got and what the cost compares to 'other' things/vacations cost. Throw out the 'per night' cost versus a hotel, car rental, meals... Then they ask if they can go on the next one too... :D

I really don't care what people say about me cruising or anything else for that matter, they are just jealous becuase either they spend all their money or because they stay home all the time (I have worked with some people for years that never go anywhere on vacation) I can't imagine....I like to stay home and chill sometimes but I LOVE cruising:eek:. I can't imagine not going anywhere for my whole life just staying in the same town, how boring!! I have a savings account that money goes directly into every paycheck called my vacation account and I don't spend my money on movies, bars, clubs, gambling ect, I save it up for vacations so if they want to talk about how I am spending my money, let them, they are just jealous!!

We go on a Cruise every year mostly in the month of April......We live at the Beach in NC Outer Banks...we are so busy after Easter ,then we get a few slack weeks until Memorial Day, then we are slamed busy until Labor Day...so we work very hard for our Vacation.....when other people travel by car and rent cottages here on our beach they spend more for their vacation than we do...with food ,entertainment and Drinks don't forget the nights out on the town...so I always say in answer toooo "How can you afford another Cruise "..and I say we put our deposit down as soon as we can (sometimes on the ship)and pay on it through the season and by January we are all paid up....

we have a few notches taken in on our belts....but....we sure do let them out on the Cruise... we love the ships the crew and all of our fellow cruisers......See y'all at the M&G on the Carnival Dream April 21st 2012

Carol

I say "heck yeah!!!" :D

What a good thread! Thanks for getting this conversation going.

I sent out an invitation to a group of friends and acquaintances to have them join me on a cruise to Alaska. Most were very excited for me, even if they could not go, but one replied back that he would rather “spend the money on my family than go on a swanky cruise.”

His response just struck me as a sad statement. It’s such a pity that some have to respond to a happy event with a snarky comment, rather than just being happy for someone else.