Picture of obstructed oceanview cabin between lifeboats on deck 8 of the Pearl?

rmartin1286

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has ever stayed in an obstructed oceanview cabin in between life boats on deck 8 of the Pearl, and if so, do they have any pictures of their picture window? I would consider booking an obstructed view room if it were in between two life boats and there was some sort of visability of the islands/ocean outside the window. I've never stayed in an obstructed view cabin before and don't want to pay to upgrade if it's not going to make any difference. Thanks!

All three of our NCL cruises (which includes the Pearl) have been on Deck 8. We like the fact that we're not in an inside cabin (although we will be for our next cruise). There's enough room to see what's outside (ocean, waves, day vs. night, etc.), but three warnings:

1. The lights for the Deck 7 outside area will shine (not directly) into your room all night, so if any light at all bothers you at night, be forewarned. The curtains, however, do a very good job of blocking light, but they're not perfect.

2. The crew sometimes will have to walk on catwalks outside your window to do maintenance on the lifeboats, etc., so be careful if you're dressing or exiting the bathroom after a shower that you cover up (if the curtains are open) or you may give the staff a show.

3. If you go into a tender port and the ship is using the lifeboats as tenders, be prepared for some loud machinery noise as the winches lower the lifeboats (if it's on your side of the ship--usually starboard in our experience).

Those items don't bother us that much (well, the noise did, but we needed to be up anyway), but I just wanted you to be fully informed. Sorry I don't have any pictures.

--Michael

Ok, thanks to both of you! numberguy, you've also given me extra to think about that I didn't even consider. At this point I'm pretty sure I'm either going to hold out for a picture window or a porthole (if there are no window's left) and if they're all gone, they're gone. We have a pretty good location for our inside cabin and even though I'd love to have a picture window I'm not interested in either losing my onboard credit we got when we booked or booking an obstructed view where the above mentioned problems might be an issue. I'm hoping I'll get called by the upsale fairy, but I've never been called before for an upgrade so it's doubtful it will happen, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Archived