What is this ship - Circular Quay OPT

stanc61

Interesting - I noticed it there when I googled the Rocks area last week. :rolleyes: It certainly looks like the Cunard funnel but to my knowledge the only Cunard ships that have been at the OPT are QE2 and QV. Not only does it look more like the QE2 in size but I will swear that the QV came into the OPT, bow first. I suppose you are going to tell us we are all wrong!!

Not only does it look more like the QE2 in size but I will swear that the QV came into the OPT, bow first. I suppose you are going to tell us we are all wrong!!

You are right on mezza. Heres a pic of QV when she came into the OPT.

qe2.jpg

I agree with everyone else and think it's the QE2. But look at the rest of the picture, to the west (opposite Darling Harbour) is another small cruise ship, does anyone know her name? She has me stumped.Jenny

123ships.jpg

Good spotting.... If you scroll around a bit and then zoom in on each one, there are actually 3 ships in on that day. There is a ship at Wharf 8, and theres one at Walsh Bay (?).

Wonder which ones they are.?

The one at Wharf 8 could be Pacific Sky as the lifeboats look as if they are up high.

If we could find out all 3 ships we could probably find out the date the pic was taken:D

I agree with everyone else and think it's the QE2.

But look at the rest of the picture, to the west (opposite Darling Harbour) is another small cruise ship, does anyone know her name? She has me stumped.

Jenny

I am guessing its Nautica or silver cloud

Col:)

123ships.jpg

Good spotting.... If you scroll around a bit and then zoom in on each one, there are actually 3 ships in on that day. There is a ship at Wharf 8, and theres one at Walsh Bay (?).

Wonder which ones they are.?

The one at Wharf 8 could be Pacific Sky as the lifeboats look as if they are up high.

If we could find out all 3 ships we could probably find out the date the pic was taken:D

Hi David,

my guess QE

< Silver cloud and blackwatch

I am sure that is QE2 at the OPT.

The one at Wash Bay?..... if you really, really zoom in, it looks like a SilverSeas logo on the funnel. Not sure about the one at Wharf 8.

Re date...Found a Home Page for QE2 org which gives all her itinerarys. Looks like she called into Sydney every Feb. on her World Cruise.

Here are the dates back to 2000.

At least we know , the pic for the google map , was taken in a February:D

http://www.qe2.org.uk/index.html

Itinerary

2008 FEB

S 24 SYDNEY

M 25 SYDNEY

2007 FEB

T 20 SYDNEY

W 21 SYDNEY

T 22 SYDNEY

2006 FEB

W 15 SYDNEY

T 16 SYDNEY

F 17 SYDNEY

2005 FEB

T 8 Sydney, NSW - Australia

W 9 Sydney, NSW - Australia

TH 10 Sydney, NSW - Australia

2004 FEB

M 16 Sydney, Australia

T 17 Sydney, Australia

W 18 Sydney, Australia

2003 FEB

Wednesday 12-Feb-03 Sydney

Thursday 13-Feb-03 Sydney

Friday 14-Feb-03 Sydney

2002 FEB

Tuesday February 12, 2002 Sydney

Wednesday February 13, 2002 Sydney

Thursday February 14, 2002 Sydney

2001 FEB

Wed 7 Sydney

Thur 8 Sydney

Fri 9 Sydney

2000 FEB

Wed 16 Australia Sydney,

Thu 17 Sydney, Australia

Well done everyone, yes it is definately the QE2 before she was deregistered. As first reported by the Fox and PolarPeak also noticed the GBTT (radio callsign) which has now been transfereed top the new Queen Elizabeth launched at Southampton just 2 days ago. I didn't realise the other 2 ships were in and thought this thread might be good for a bit of fun.

Well done everyone, yes it is definately the QE2 before she was deregistered. As first reported by the Fox and PolarPeak also noticed the GBTT (radio callsign) which has now been transfereed top the new Queen Elizabeth launched at Southampton just 2 days ago. I didn't realise the other 2 ships were in and thought this thread might be good for a bit of fun.

Also I noted the lack of swimming pools. They took one pool out and replaced it with a Dining Room (I think) when the ship was commissioned to the Falklands and from then on everyone who cruised on her complained about the lack of deck chairs and pools on the ship.

Jillybean:)

The ship at Circular Quay is QE2 - no doubt on that. The one at 8 Darling Harbour is a member of the (former) Russian Belorussiya class. There were five ships in the class, three of which were based in Australia at various times. Of course this picture is taken much later in their various lives. The ship in question is most likely Delphin (ex-Belorussiya), which has visited here quite a few times. It is deffinetly not the ex-Kariliya which has an extended forward superstructure, nor the former Kahzakstahn, which has been operating day cruises in the US.

Agree on the ship at 3 Darling Harbour, likely a 'SilverSea'

David

The ship in question is most likely Delphin (ex-Belorussiya), which has visited here quite a few times. It is deffinetly not the ex-Kariliya which has an extended forward superstructure, nor the former Kahzakstahn, which has been operating day cruises in the US.

David

Thanks David, I was completely clueless. :confused:

Thanks Karen too for your research, those aerial shots are interesting. :)

Jenny

Archived