Commonly Used Acronyms on Cruise Critic

IRL_Joanie

Don't know what everyone is reading where DH/DW are commonly used by everyone. I read the newspaper, magazines and books and have not come across those. Only place I've seen it is here.

Me too but I have a friend who is the mother of four and says it is in common use on parenting boards.

Sometimes I have to ask what something means. The classic example is MUTS on Princess. But I agree we over acronym as a society. LOL ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I worked for the government for over 33 years. Everything was acronyms or form numbers. We had to make a conscious effort to speak in plain English when talking to clients, and it wasn't always an easy thing to do! :o

Don't know what everyone is reading where DH/DW are commonly used by everyone. I read the newspaper, magazines and books and have not come across those. Only place I've seen it is here.

Pinkandpurple I understand why you are confused & probably frustrated when reading many of our posts.. However, this is not the only forum which uses these acronyms..

Now according to the Wikipedia free encyclopedia, the origin of Internet acronyms AKA slang started in the 70's...As Ruth mentioned she had them in her business & when I first joined the Airline industry in the late 50's, I was handed a book & had to memorize IATA Airline codes & acronyms in order to limit our teletype messages.. Sending bookings via teletype in those days cost an arm & a leg so we were forced to shorten our Messages to our European offices..We had to employ many teletype Operators just to type up these messages & brevity was very important..

When I was very new in the industry we put Psgrs names on charts for each flight...One day a co-worker was calling Psgrs on an overbooked flight & came across Mr. Jones & Mr. FINLAT booked in first class seats, which I had charted.. Fortunately it was caught before the Airport got the manifest.. FINLAT actually was an acronym for "First Name later",,Of course I was called down for the mistake, but never forgot that acronym..

Perhaps you might want to read Wikapedia's take on Internet acronyms (slang).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_slang

If you try to learn just the basics acronyms from Joanie's list you might find yourself using them & also understanding more of the posts.. When I first joined Cruise Critic I downloaded the list & once in a while still have to look up some things..

It will take time I know, but give it a try.. Good luck & welcome to Cruise Critic..Hope you enjoy this forum.. There is a wealth of info. here.

Betty

Archived