?Saint Joseph's Day and Super Sunday in NOLA

alwalaska

I just found information about St Joseph's Day (March 19th) and the Sunday which follows called Super Sunday (which in 2011 will be March 20th)

I found some of the info here http://www.neworleansonline.com/neworleans/seasonal/stjosephsday.html

We plan on touring on the 19th and our ship leaves on the 20th. We will be staying that the Drury Inn. I have some questions.

1) Will traffic or closed roads for/from the parade cause any difficulties for us getting to the port on Sunday?

2) Where can we find more information about the St Joseph's day parade? For example, where in the French Quarter does the parade go, etc.

3) From what I have heard of Bourbon Street, that will not be our scene, but are there other areas to enjoy some jazz without so much of the "party" atmosphere.

4) We are not Catholic. Is there anything we should be aware of so that we don't accidentally offend anyone when going to see the altars? Should we bring food to donate or something?

Hi! I saw no one answered your questions so I'll take a crack at it. I'm a born and rasied NOLA girl. :D

As for Super Sunday/ St. Josephs day. Super Sunday is more about the Indians and them second lining. These usually don't take place in touristy areas. Off Canal street on Claibourne and Esplande to St. Bernard (which is where the downotwn Indians tend to be). It does tend to back up traffic that way but it shouldn't effect downtown traffic too much. I usually don't call the parade a parade per say because its not as large, nor as advertised at Mardi Gras parades but are as entertaining.

As for St. Joseph's Day alters. You are more than welcome to come and visit any of them, and its not required to bring anything for the alters. Just remember they are a look and not touch thing, as most of the food is donated to homeless shelters or use to feed the homeless at the churches later. I've never been to the one at St. Louis but I should be wonderful. My home church, Our Ladt Of Gaudalupe, also known at St. Jude, which is just outside the FQ, about I'll say 6 or 7 blocks from St. Louis has a nice one every year.

Jazz clubs and spots are all over the FQ, not jsut on Bourbon. You can hear music at Jackson Square, on Royal Street. Or move further down Bourbon away from the first 3 or 4 blocks when the crowds lesson and there are several low key clubs. Names escape me right now but there are plenty of places.

Archived