Coral Princess Expeditions

Mike2131

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mike,

My wife and I cruised with this company on the Great Barrier Reef on our first trip down to OZ back in mid 2008. Loved the experience, the ship was quite a bit smaller (even for us small ship lovers) than normal but the best thing about this was it meant we could get real close to everything. Food was great, ship had about 35 on our cruise (they hold about 50 max) but it didnt feel at all crowded. The cabins were quite large for the size of the ship. All of the activiites were included and the crew were great - a little informal but this really added to the experience.

Happy to answer any specifric questions if you want to send them.

We have actually booked with this company again next year when we go back down to Australia, not on the Barrier reef but instead over to the Kimberley region of the west side of AUstralia. Its a 10 night cruise on their bigger expedition ship called the Oceanic Discoverer. Very much looking forward to it if it is anything liek the Barrier Reef cruise we did.

I would say if you are thinking about doign the cruise you should - for us it was a great experience.

• 1 month later...

DH and I sailed with them in Nov. 2007. On our trip there were only 20 passengers and 19 crew. Our room was quite quite small, but you don't spend much time in it. The food was just so so. It is not a luxurious ship, more like an upscale dive boat. The trip was mainly about snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef. That was the best part. The naturalist on board was very informative. The trips on the glass bottom boat before snorkeling and diving gave a preview of what you would be seeing under water.

The only negative would be if you tend to get seasick and run into a storm, you will feel it on this small boat. It happened to us on the last day; we were on the outside of the reef returning to Cairns and for 6 hours it was terrible. Everyone on the boat was sick, including the crew. Overall, I enjoyed the trip and would consider doing it again next time I'm in OZ.

• 2 months later...

We did this trip in 2002. We were the only Americans on the ship and must say we did learn much about the Australian sense of humor. The room was small but comfortable. The food was good and plentiful. The breakfast picnic/barbque on the cove was truly a wonderful experience. This is the most wonderful place to snorkel ever. The drop down swim up boarding dock was easy for even a fluffy woman to get in and out of the water. We went in July and it was winter and cool. It would be even better in fall or summer.

No this is not a "cruise" like it's big sister Princess cruise but it was a wonderful adventure with Aussies who were really fun and we saw a natural enviroment that you will never ever forget. This is not a place to have a large ship -- you see the most in the water floating face down and marveling at the awesome sights that you are so Blessed to see.

I can recommend without hesitation the Coral Princess II and the rest of the fleet would probably be as good. You must go with a good attitude and knowledge that this is not a luxrury cruise but an eco adventure. We are considering some of their other exotic trips in the South Pacific but they are a bit pricey when air and all are included.

DH and I sailed with them in Nov. 2007. On our trip there were only 20 passengers and 19 crew. Our room was quite quite small, but you don't spend much time in it. The food was just so so. It is not a luxurious ship, more like an upscale dive boat. The trip was mainly about snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef. That was the best part. The naturalist on board was very informative. The trips on the glass bottom boat before snorkeling and diving gave a preview of what you would be seeing under water.

The only negative would be if you tend to get seasick and run into a storm, you will feel it on this small boat. It happened to us on the last day; we were on the outside of the reef returning to Cairns and for 6 hours it was terrible. Everyone on the boat was sick, including the crew. Overall, I enjoyed the trip and would consider doing it again next time I'm in OZ.

I agree with this post also. There can be some rocking and if you get sea sick the open water snorkeling can also have you thinking of your stomach --sneaks up on you because you are so fascinated by the reef:o

Archived