Back from first cruise: Most important lesson learned

wcook

My first cruise, I think I packed at least 4 months before.. packing and repacking.. make sure I had what I wanted and all the new clothes I got for my cruise (so I couldn't wear them before hand). I researched all the ports. Took me several months to find the exact cruise I wanted. Found all the neat stores that carries all kinds of sample/trial/travel sized items and which ones had a nice variety such as CVS and Target. Found the weather and hurricane watch site so I could monitor and find out what the weather would be like where we were going. Didn't have to worry, man it was 90+ in March down in Florida when we left that year. Triple check that I put in my pass port number correctly in the funpass data.. It just doesn't seem like a chore.. it is just fun... and didn't let down on my cruise... at all.. it just couldn't come close to the real thing no matter how much you research. You can't imagine the colors of the ocean in the different ports.. the houses in the different ports and differences in culture.. so amazing. And the ship itself.. nothing like it looks like on site... so big.. and the service and food...

It is the most relaxing at the same time fun vacation I have ever been on. What other vacation does your hotel do the driving for you.. ? Love it.

my youngest came in saw me on here again and he said, " mom im so glad you have a new hobby and i wont ever have to worry about you alone again"

ok not so sure how to take that but i know he meant well and that when they are all gone he knows i will just work to plan me a cruise, if i ever feel brave or rich enough to go alone.

second and most importantly, to all of us overplanners and compulsives, it has now been proven that my exploring has been been put to good use. my dd's dh got transfered to a new school for 4 months , so her and the very dgd are moving into my two bedroom apartment with all their pets and my son. ok after first panic then awesome cheer to have my granddaughter back for months and during the holidays, she had to pack up her house and lo and behold, all our planning on packing was able to have her packed for the cruise and not accidently in storage..

we rule :) and is it time for me to pack now and i bought a laminator,for work but i never will use it there so its at home to start laminating.

I got back from my first Carnival cruise today. We did have a great time but we learned that we have more fun doing activities and sight seeing on shore vs. being stuck on the ship for 3 days. The food on the ship is great and the shows are great (if you get the good seats upfront). We were somewhat disappointed in the variety of activities offered. Unless you are into gambling, bingo and karaoke, there were not many other activities on the ship during daytime. Everything else seemed to revolve around selling you something like art auctions or shopping tips. We did a lot of hanging out by the pool. Also, I expected Camp Carnival to be something different. It turned out to be daycare like. Kids in the camp were in a small room. For some reason, I thought that camp carnival was like a sports center involving outside activities as well.

Great post. Many people way overplan, then are disappointed.

I do think, however, that port time, excursions/reservations are definately better off being done ahead of time. Time is short in port to then try and figure out what you want to do.

I just bought a 40 page display book to put in my "diary" with tips and information on the cruise.I have made a "dairy" so I can remember every thing in detail, thing that I cant remember from my last cruises.I have my suitcase filling up with nick knacks and every day I pop on here to see what update there is. Planning is half the fun.:cool:

Archived