Back from first cruise: Most important lesson learned

wcook

Don't worry.

I did plenty of planning for my first cruise. But, in the end, none of it was that important. You need to complete your paperwork and bring ID in order to get your butt on the ship. After that, it's pretty much all good.

Sure, research and planning can help makes things even better. But none of it is necessary or worth stressing over.

Don't worry.

I did plenty of planning for my first cruise. But, in the end, none of it was that important. You need to complete your paperwork and bring ID in order to get your butt on the ship. After that, it's pretty much all good.

Sure, research and planning can help makes things even better. But none of it is necessary or worth stressing over.

I think you make a good point. My DW is very much content with booking and then showing up and it serves her well. She says that all the pre-planning and research raises her expectations and sometimes she feels let down. I, on the other hand, love to do the research to find out about our ship, where we are going, and what the cultures are like where our ship takes us.

I hope, in any event, you had a wonderful first cruise.

Don't worry.

Excellent post

Thanks for this post wcook! I'm going on my first cruise next month and, although I'm super excited, I'm also kind of nervous, worrying if we're going to bring the right clothes, did we pick the right dining time, what excursions we're taking, will we get seasick, etc. etc. Now I'll do my best to quit worrying and just enjoy! :)

ok my kids say im compulsive about researching anything and now you tell me the folder ive made with all my tips i get off here will be not needed??

im teasing its our first cruise and the more info i have the calmer i am and better at handling anything :)

Great tip!

Cruising is so different from any other kind of vacation that you won't "get it" until you go! I've been all over but am still kinda new to cruising, but I can tell you it is the LEAST STRESSFUL way to travel in my opinion! Just get on the boat and let the cruise line handle the rest :D

Don't worry.

Out of the thousands of posts on this site, this has to be one of the very best, ever.

Don't worry.

EXCELLENT post. Thanks for sharing that.

I see so many people here who stress so much about their cruise. They want to know what's going to happen minute by minute, and honestly, you can just show up with your identification and some clothes and have a fabulous time.

When I read this I got a good laugh, so first off many thanks for that.....I threw my head back and guffawed actually.....what about us disordered ppl?

I mean, irl I actually have a disorder! Not that it's any of your business....LOL (see how much fun your post gave me :p) I actually watch the same movie, play the same song.....MANY, MANY times before I leave off from it....so cruising? HUH? research to DEATH! then you come along with your nifty tip.....

.....splash the water in my face and gives me a deep breath.....relax.....here I was fretting about why nobody in our friends and family group can see the IMPORTANCE of researching "all things our cruise".....course they know my disorder and :rolleyes: over the routine compulsions....my "normal"

"but you will miss" this or that......"you won't know about" this or that......good thing I don't drive them crazy....they just leave the crazy to me.....me alone.....

but your post?.....if I felt offended at first....WHAT?!?......it gave me good :) and :D and ;) (I need at least 20 more smileys....compulsive you see?)

thank you.....I took a mighty breath.....zoomed out and laughed at my intense self and we'll all just go on our cruise and have a good ole time.....that's the point of it right LOLOL

now if I could just find how to say thank you in about a hundred other languages to finish this post....

1) Merci beaucoup

2) Shukriyah

3) Gracias

making myself stop.....Happy Cruising all....even us over-researchers/planners.....taking my chill pill now

Im forbidden to mention cruising to my family. >> I feel kinda lonely when I cant even tell them about my trips. I have one where Im meeting someone from a cruising msg bd on wednesday, doing two ships. one night in between, extra days in Miami, lots of plans, and I just am now telling my parents what Im doing so they know about contacting me.

They hate hearing about cruises, think its a waste of money, stay home.

I am pretty sick of people on CC who get critical of people with a high post count, and say dont you have a life .. I really have no one who I can discuss cruising with. I did 7 last year, I think 6 this year by my count. .. so a lot of planning goes into airfare and hotels and all the planning. .. my mom wouldnt discuss which cabin to pick, or anything, I was told not to talk about it to my sister, who resents the attention not being on her.

I am pretty casual about planning actually .. luckily .. but I come to CC to read about my cruises because Im excited and no one else to talk to about cruising.

Fire - that's sad that you're family doesn't want to hear about your vacations - good thing CC is here!

I watched a special on the Oasis of the SEas last night on the travel channel (I'm sure it was a repeat, but I hadn't seen it before). It really just focused on how they get everyone off the ship and then get the new group on. It was really quite amazing. They said that for every single cruise there are a few people that forget their documents, bring the wrong ones or have other issues where they can't get on. One woman was on her honeymoon and booked the cruise in her married name, but her passport was in her maiden name. She had to have someone fax a copy of her birth certificate before she could get on. One other family didn't make the ship because the wife grabbed her expired passport instead of her new one and she couldn't go on. Her husband didn't want to leave her behind and go with their 2 young children so all 4 of them missed their vacation. What a bummer! So yes - the most important things are your paperwork.

ok my kids say im compulsive about researching anything and now you tell me the folder ive made with all my tips i get off here will be not needed??

im teasing its our first cruise and the more info i have the calmer i am and better at handling anything :)

Same here. I too have my folder and have done lots of research, I am one of those that has to know what we're doing and when. I think my husband still doesn't know where we're actually going or on what excursions, he says his job is to just go with the flow. I don't think I'll be able to relax until we are actually on the ship.lol

hi we are going on our first cruise in 3 weeks :) and i like a few am the research freak :p. I planned all the excursions, i researched all the different airlines, figured out which one we could get the best deal, as of today i saved over 400 bucks each on flights :D. I got a gret deal on our ship fares.. I researched on I am on the website and others daily and a few times each day.

Now my other half DH isjut sitting back and letting me do the whole thing. He takes the way of just let me follow you and you lead I will be there.I even booked his vacation time off at his work then told him as a surprise.

Compulsive behavior i think on my part :rolleyes: .I just have the need to know but at the same time there are a few things the husband does not know but will find out once on board..... the two new dress, high heels oh i have chef table reservations.. he just has no idea

When I read this I got a good laugh, so first off many thanks for that.....I threw my head back and guffawed actually.....what about us disordered ppl?

I mean, irl I actually have a disorder! Not that it's any of your business....LOL (see how much fun your post gave me :p) I actually watch the same movie, play the same song.....MANY, MANY times before I leave off from it....so cruising? HUH? research to DEATH! then you come along with your nifty tip.....

.....splash the water in my face and gives me a deep breath.....relax.....here I was fretting about why nobody in our friends and family group can see the IMPORTANCE of researching "all things our cruise".....course they know my disorder and :rolleyes: over the routine compulsions....my "normal"

"but you will miss" this or that......"you won't know about" this or that......good thing I don't drive them crazy....they just leave the crazy to me.....me alone.....

but your post?.....if I felt offended at first....WHAT?!?......it gave me good :) and :D and ;) (I need at least 20 more smileys....compulsive you see?)

thank you.....I took a mighty breath.....zoomed out and laughed at my intense self and we'll all just go on our cruise and have a good ole time.....that's the point of it right LOLOL

now if I could just find how to say thank you in about a hundred other languages to finish this post....

1) Merci beaucoup

2) Shukriyah

3) Gracias

making myself stop.....Happy Cruising all....even us over-researchers/planners.....taking my chill pill now

This post was hilarious! My SIL is like you. She does all this research which she LOVES doing and compiles her Handy Dandy Notebook with all of her documents. I on the other hand never do that until the last minute. I love being able to rely on her knowledge. Believe me your family appreciates it too.

Love coming on here and reading posts on ALL subjects. My DW and i will be taking our first cruise in ummm 110 days (not that i am counting) and we are both so excited to go have a blast and meet new people. We love to camp all summer long in 5th wheel camper but the Winters here in MN are a drag so we're hoping we fall in love with this and make it our Winter get away. Everytime i come on here and read posts people are real similar to all our camping friends so we are starting to feel right at home on these boards. Thanks to all of you for anwering questions and hope we cross paths one day. :)

Love coming on here and reading posts on ALL subjects. My DW and i will be taking our first cruise in ummm 110 days (not that i am counting) and we are both so excited to go have a blast and meet new people. We love to camp all summer long in 5th wheel camper but the Winters here in MN are a drag so we're hoping we fall in love with this and make it our Winter get away. Everytime i come on here and read posts people are real similar to all our camping friends so we are starting to feel right at home on these boards. Thanks to all of you for anwering questions and hope we cross paths one day. :)

Funny how things work. We can't wait to retire and get back to MN, partly for the winters. Soon (few more years) we'll be in Otter Tail County near Battle Lake and I can start on my fish house. Of course, like here, it only takes a cruise brochure to get my attention. (lol)

skol Vikings

Larry

I love this advise. However - I must say that I too am one of those neurotic over-planners...usually have a 3 ring binder and have even gone so far as having dividers for daily activites/notes/tips :o My husband at this point just shakes his head up and down "pretending" to listen to all my planning. But I do enjoy the "research" "investigating" part of the planning

SO - having said that.....this is my 2nd cruise and I totally agree with the original post. ENJOY. Don't worry. Have fun.

My neurotic over-planning tendencies did save me on the cost of the cruise, the cost of my airfare, etc..............but once you walk up that plank - your cares and worries are wisked away. My first cruise was like nothing else I've ever done.

Have the proper documents in hand and let loose ;)

Excellent post, OP.

I have battled OCD pretty much my entire life. I'm a huge planner, but the more I travel the more I learn to let go.

My first cruise - 14 day Holy Land. I took 16 pairs of shoes. No joke. It was insanity. Now, I'm good with 2-3 pairs. Even on a 16 day vacation. I'm so proud of myself.

None of it is worth the worry. Let go. Relax. Breathe. Enjoy your vacation!

I am loving reading the boards and the tips and any other thing that seems remotely relevant. I might seem a bit obsessed, but it isn't a matter of anxiety or stress, I am just pre-enjoying our trip (my first), which is still many months away. So I will continue to read and learn and listen to everyone else's stories.

Our next cruise is 254 agonizing days away..We always book at least a year in advance because we require multiple cabins (next to each other) and like to be able to plan our time off from work, put back the money, etc. When I discovered Cruise Critic, it had so much good advice and tips that I wish I had known prior to our first cruise that I was immediately addicted. I'm a planner. I have lists, and lists about the lists. My daughters have now accepted the fact that there will be a notebook. They leave the planning to me. I used to drive everyone crazy because I wanted them to read the notebook, look at all my tips and get EXCITED like me about a packing list. They decided not to burn the notebook if I would not insisting the join me in the process. I read the tips religiously (daily). I've tried to stop myself but can't. I adready have a notebook and have included the packing list and excursions for ports we have now already visited multiple times..and won't be visiting for 250+ days...OMG. It's just a part of who I am..curious, well-organized and just plain nuts. When we get onboard, I will breath a sigh of relief, forget about the notebook (even the excursions), and forget (for 7 days) about visiting this board. I'll ignore some of the tips because for whatever reason, I'm perfectly willing to fly by the seat of my pants, along with my daughters, once onboard. Like I said, JUST PLAIN NUTS :D...about cruising!!!

Archived