FCO to Civitavecchia

schoolinmy3

My son and I are returning to Rome in May for a second Mediterranean cruise. Since we already toured Rome this spring we only are interested in a transfer from FCO to the cruise port. We plan on flying in the day before and staying in Civitavecchia overnight just to be safe. We are not sure whether we want to book the transfer directly through the cruise line or make the arrangements ourselves. This past May we took the train to Termini and walked to our b&b. However without my husband along I am willing to go an easier route! Any ideas? Thanks

diane

There are many threads recommending private transport from the airport to Civitavecchia. The going price for 2 people is about 130 euro. Frequently recommended services include Rome Cabs, Roma Shuttle, and RIL. Some of the places in Civitavecchia also offer a private pickup at the airport; I have no idea but assume the price is about the same.

Clever you to have seen all of Rome in your previous visit. I've been there many times and have yet to see it all.

Obviously I have not seen all of Rome, it is just my son has seen all he wants to see ;). I would go back with my husband and explore some more at a moment's notice. My son however is more into the islands and out of the way places. He is not a fan of cities, even famous ones. And since this is his trip I am catering to whatever he wishes (within reason). BTW he will be turning 20 right before the cruise and has saved money from his last job in order to visit Greece.

diane

Obviously I have not seen all of Rome, it is just my son has seen all he wants to see ;). I would go back with my husband and explore some more at a moment's notice. My son however is more into the islands and out of the way places. He is not a fan of cities, even famous ones. And since this is his trip I am catering to whatever he wishes (within reason). BTW he will be turning 20 right before the cruise and has saved money from his last job in order to visit Greece.

diane

My Rome comment was meant tongue in cheek, hopefully no offense!

That's great -- kudos to him. I have a son who's 18; I had planned to take him on a Med cruise in June for his HS graduation but was unable to due to my work. :( Hope you both enjoy your trip!

Thank you, no, I was not at all offended. Just wanted to explain as I would LOVE to spend more time in Rome. My son is finishing his last 2 classes this semester for his 2 year degree in accounting from our community college and this will be a mother/son celebration for him for all his hard work. Our previous cruise was a gift to his 17 yo brother who graduated from high school last January. I certainly do hope you are able to work in a cruise for your son. There aren't too many family trips left I am afraid once everyone graduates, finds jobs and settles down. I can't even imagine my kids moving away. Fortunately our youngest, our daughter, is only 11. I already informed her she is not allowed to leave. ;)

diane

We used Rome cabs...they were waiting at the airport for us in a nice Mercedes...the service was great and we used them three times...well worth it and if you can get more people it works out cheaper...we paid 130E for two people from Civitevechia to Rome and 170E for six people the other way...so as you can see that the more people the cheaper per head it is:) Book online very quick and easy.

Unless you and your son want to splurge, I'd suggest taking the train and saving a lot of money. You'd catch the train at the airport and change trains in Rome to go on to Civitevecchia.

Yes, we took the train prior to our last cruise in May from the airport to Termini. We then walked to our b&b - Momi which was very nice. It worked out fine then, there were five of us - myself, my husband and three kids. However it was not an easy trip after flying all night and without my husband along I think we are going to go an easier route! There are quite a lot of steps that are just not particularly easy to navigate with suitcases.:eek: So I think we are looking for a little easier commute since it is just my son and I.

diane

My son and I are returning to Rome in May for a second Mediterranean cruise. Since we already toured Rome this spring we only are interested in a transfer from FCO to the cruise port. We plan on flying in the day before and staying in Civitavecchia overnight just to be safe. We are not sure whether we want to book the transfer directly through the cruise line or make the arrangements ourselves. This past May we took the train to Termini and walked to our b&b. However without my husband along I am willing to go an easier route! Any ideas? Thanks

diane

If you are not interested to go to Rome you can also stay in Civitavecchia itself or in airport area.

We stayed at Hotel Riviera in Fiumicino.

Room 71.00 EUR incl. bf/wifi

6.00 EUR for the transfer to the hotel

2010PCLOC01005-vi.jpg

and they offer shuttle to the ship.

but I guess that our shuttle was cheaper: 90.00 EUR for 2 if you want a private car - maybe with the hotel is cheaper if they can collect few guests for one van.

http://www.autonoleggiomz.it/booking.php

Another option:

FR1 (not 1st-class nonstop Leonardo Express to Termini)-train to Tiburtina

there we stayed at the Express by Holiday Inn

FR5 to Civitavecchia leaves from the same train station.

Have a look into my blog:

http://heinbloed-pcl.blogspot.com/2010/10/tagday-0a1-in-fiumicino-pre-cruise.html

We have many pictures from the hotels and the situation around the train station and airport.

Regards

HeinBloed

Archived