Veterans Meet & Greet?

USNEOD

I'm a currently Active Duty, but soon-to-be inactive Naval Officer. Some of my friends and I are looking to go on a cruise in Feb, most likely with RCI. I went on a Holland America cruise about a year ago prior to my last deployment and they sponsored a Veteran's meet and greet. This was a really cool experience because I got to meet a whole bunch of vets, one of them from the Korean War, and I also found a bunch of drinking buddies! Does anybody know of Royal Caribbean does something like this?

I have only seen it twice. But that doesn't mean it doesn't happen on every cruise. It is not advertised. It is not in their daily compass, but posted on the bulletin board. My husband is a Vietnam Vet and only went the one time. Only two other guys showed up. I think it is a wonderful thing to do, they just don't advertise it enough. If it was in the compass rather then just on the bulletin board more people might go.

Anyway, have a wonderful cruise whichever one you pick. Don't forget to look for the military discounts.

Thank you for your service. God Bless.

Iren

First off, Thank you for your service.

I have never seen one of these on board. I know there are other military families on here that might have more info.

All the ships have a board where anyone can post meetings or get togethers. Of course, as the previous poster said, without announcements most people won't know about it. Maybe grab the cd and see if he can make an announcement for you.

My dh was in the service and whenever we sail he seems to find every military person on board. I should say, they find him - he won't give up the hair cut.

Kathy

I am a retired [Army] reservist. I participated in a veterans get together once -- it was on the Independence eastbound TA in April '09. It was organized by our CC group. We publicized it on our roll call before the cruise and I believe the organizer posted a notice on the bulletin board on the ship. We met in one of the bars [schooner Bar I think]. I don't recall if we coordinated with the ships staff, although we did for a number of activities and they were very cooperative in arranging space.

It was a great time. We had all vintages of veterans-- Vietnam vets, those with service in the desert, and cold warriors like myself. A WWII bomber [b17 I think] pilot identified himself and asked if we were interested in his experiences. Uh . . . yeah! His stories pretty much dominated the meeting.

My DH always wears his Vietnam Veterns hat, so he is easy to find. And when he sees someone else with a military hat on, he goes and talks to them.

Irene

Im the daughter of a very proud Vietnam Vet. He always wears a Vietnam Veterans hat also. When im out and see a Vietnam Vet with a hat on (or anything else to distinguish him/herself as being in the Vietnam war) I make it a point to go over and say thank you and welcome home. They always appreciate it. I know my dad does!!

Thanks guys. Yea, the Holland America cruise I was on last year published the veterans meet and greet on the daily planner thing we got in the room, and there was a really big turnout which was awesome.

But it does seem like service members have a strange way of meeting each other anyways, Every vacation I've been on I've ended up meeting a bunch of service members (Although I'm sure it has a lot to do with my haircut, and the fact that my civilian wardrobe consists mostly of military and unit t-shirts that I've acquired over the years.)

mjldvlks...a WWII bomber pilot huh? That must have been an amazing experience. I'm a huge World War II buff, I eat the stuff up, and hooyah, thanks for your service.

Of the lines I've been on, only HAL staff organizes such a meeting. I agree it is nice when it happens. There is an instant understanding between participants, Like previous poster said, instant drinking buddies -- coffee, water or other.

Thanks to all for their service.

Archived