Pre/post cruise -china train tours

BubbaBoo

Hi! I was looking for some information from anyone who's done the train tours (Beijing/Xian/Shanghai). My friend and I want to do something different and thought this way of travel would be fun. Though my reseach I found that it's 4 beds for each cabin. There will only be 2 of us and we are very uncomfortable sharing a cabin overnight with strangers. So my question is: are you actually in a cabin with other people in a cabin or is the set up not what I imaging? If you have pictures of the cabin I would love to see them. Some insight to this would be GREATLY appreciated! :D

Thanks,

Melinda

I am busy planning the land part of our upcoming trip when we will be on our own for two weeks in China. You can go here to see the cars. http://www.seat61.com/China.htm

Some trains have four bed sleeper rooms and some have two.

We will be taking two overnight trips in two bed sleepers, at least that is the plan now.

Hi! I was looking for some information from anyone who's done the train tours (Beijing/Xian/Shanghai). My friend and I want to do something different and thought this way of travel would be fun. Though my reseach I found that it's 4 beds for each cabin. There will only be 2 of us and we are very uncomfortable sharing a cabin overnight with strangers. So my question is: are you actually in a cabin with other people in a cabin or is the set up not what I imaging? If you have pictures of the cabin I would love to see them. Some insight to this would be GREATLY appreciated! :D

Thanks,

Melinda

IF there are no two berth compartments, then look at booking all 4 beds. I have done it in Vietnam and China. Incredibly cheap (per US standards-cost $54 per berth in Vietnam from Hanoi to Danang) for the other two berths. And you have a large compartment to yourself. DH and I just did the Trans Siberian. The ONLY compartments available on the short haul from Irkutsk to Ulaanbator were 4 berth compartments (33 hours). I was really hesitant and they would NOT book all 4 beds for the two of us. So we took our chances. As it was, we ended up with two 20 somethings (we are in our 60's) who had been all over Russian. Interesting experience-they had a lot to share, although we had more money than they did and they ate in the cabin (what they got from the train station) and we ate in the restaurant car. All in all, it was OK. I would have preferred a private compartment but I would do this again for a short trip.

Archived