What do YOU think?

trvlqueen

I usually plan much farther in advance than this, but after getting off the Liberty, we're looking at trying to get back on her in January or February - so no early saver rate. That means I have to time it right to get the best deal - SO, if you were me, would you pull the trigger now ($419 for an inside cabin) or wait until after final payment in hopes of a better price?

Before our cruise earlier this month, prices dropped like a rock - which I loved since I was ES. I know I'll have to pay in full after final payment date - but I'd have to pay it all by that date, anyway, so in my opinion that isn't really an issue. If you were me, what would you do ?????

I'm not that concerned about it - LOVED my aft balcony last time, but this is a 'gimme' cruise - we just want to go again! I'm already booked for next May and will be booking tomorrow for my Alaska cruise in Sept - so just trying to get the best price - Mom wants to go again, too, but budgets are a little tight right now for all of us, so we need it to be a good price - we've done the itinerary before - been on Liberty 2x now - and if we can get a good price we'll make this a mutual Christmas gift and escape Chicago in February!

The price is good so I would probably book now. Prices can also go up.

That's kinda what I was thinking - but then I remembered how they seemed to drop so fast and so far right before we sailed - remember? And there are A LOT of cabins available in every category I checked - so I'm thinking I might have a chance at a decrease. In the last week they've been bouncing between $419 and $459 for an inside - mostly at $419. I'd have been ticked if I booked on Monday - the one day it showed $459 - I think If I see it hit $399 I'm hitting the button - or if it gets to $469 for an ocean view. (right now is at $569, which I think is a bit much considering I just paid $659 for an aft balcony)

I have never booked a ES and last time we booked it was after the final payment so had to pay all at once. But a few years back pre-saver deals there was a price drop and I called and got it as a OBC. Has that all gone away w/ the new saver programs?

We are looking to book for next Jan/Feb and I have been watching prices move a bit. I need to just book but like everyone looking for that best deal!

That's kinda what I was thinking - but then I remembered how they seemed to drop so fast and so far right before we sailed - remember? And there are A LOT of cabins available in every category I checked - so I'm thinking I might have a chance at a decrease. In the last week they've been bouncing between $419 and $459 for an inside - mostly at $419. I'd have been ticked if I booked on Monday - the one day it showed $459 - I think If I see it hit $399 I'm hitting the button - or if it gets to $469 for an ocean view. (right now is at $569, which I think is a bit much considering I just paid $659 for an aft balcony)

You can never tell. A few months before our sailing we booked our next cruise on the Miracle end January. Booked ES and so far price is up and checked pricing last week and the ship was not listed so might be sold out.

However if lots of cabins still available seems like reasonable approach.

For our cruise price was extremely high and only in the last week did it come down a bunch and we upgraded from inside to balcony.

Just checked pricing and it is open but up 200 pp for inside so glad we have booked earlier.

You'd have to watch what week you are going...

Here in Mass school break week is Presidents week, prices are higher then, and not likely to go down much at all... We are going this week and booked early saver. I got a great ES price drop shortly after I booked in April, but same cabin to book now is over $200pp more than what I am paying... kinda crazy...

If you are not looking at that week you may have a better shot at prices dropping a bit, but I think you could still get OBC in your case...

This will be our 3rd time on the Liberty too, we just love her!

Have a great time! Good luck....

You'd have to watch what week you are going...

Here in Mass school break week is Presidents week, prices are higher then, and not likely to go down much at all... We are going this week and booked early saver. I got a great ES price drop shortly after I booked in April, but same cabin to book now is over $200pp more than what I am paying... kinda crazy...

If you are not looking at that week you may have a better shot at prices dropping a bit, but I think you could still get OBC in your case...

This will be our 3rd time on the Liberty too, we just love her!

Have a great time! Good luck....

Booked on this cruise over President's Day too and got 2 small drops back in July and since then every time I check the price has gone up. It is to the point that it is over $1,000/person:eek: for the 2 8bs we have booked. At the price you mentioned tvlqueen it sounds like a good deal.

My cruise for next week is just about sold out and the prices only went up. My cruise in May had lots of cabins available a month before and was sold out 2 weeks later.

I think the problem is going to be that what you save on the cruise, if anything, you will eat up in airfare. By not knowing which cruise you're taking ahead of time, you can't book the air. Booking the air close to the fly date will cost you, probably big time:eek:

We went the last week of Jan this year and I played the waiting game to get a better price. My cruise only went up for OV. We were on the dream so that makes a difference however about 2 weeks before we sailed, we upgraded to a cove balcony for $60 total. I was happy with the price we paid in the long run but we would have saved money if we had pulled the trigger sooner.

Most price drops are 30-45 days before cruise and with last minute pack and go rates, so I guess I would wait but keep checking for lower price- when you are happy with the rate book it then don't check rates again so you won't feel bad if they go down at the last minute. Julie G.

Since this would be a "gimmme" cruise, I would take a chance and wait until after final payment. If by chance, prices go up and you don't get to go, you still have your cruise in May.:eek: ( easy for me to say, right? ) I have personally found that prices do go down after final payment and sometimes better cabins show up because people who booked early, got their cabin of choice and then had to cancel just before final payment. The trick is you have to be flexible. Sometimes you have to wait until 2 or 4 weeks before sail date to get just the right price. You have to be willing to take a chance.

Follow the prices regularly and especially the availability of cabins. This may give you a clue whether prices will go down or up.

IMHO, prices may be better in January vs February.

Archived