Question about notorized letter for minor?

tuscandream

Ok so I called the 800 # for carnival several times and I get different information. We are a family of 4 and my kids are each bringing a friend ages 19 and 16. I called to see if the 19 year old needs a notorized letter stating he is permitted to travel with us. The first time I called they said yes he needs a letter I explained that his mom passed away he doesn't talk with his dad he is living with his aunt and uncle. They said Carnival doesn't get technical a letter is acceptable from Aunt and Uncle. I just called back tonight to ask something else and this call said because we have 2 seperate rooms and an adult over 25 will be in the room a notorized letter isn't necessary??? Now what one has to do with the other is beyond me. I got the agents name and she said she confirmed with Guest services. I said why was I told before we need it. She said carnival recently changed their process with minors. Has anyone heard of this? I am driving from Pgh to Miami and I don't want to have anyone denied boarding. Do I call again and get the best out of 3??? What would you do?

My daughter went on a high school graduation cruise with a bunch of her girlfriends and some parent chaperones. At the time she was the only one under 18, and I did send a notorized letter with her for boarding. The others did not need letters, as though they may not be old enough to drink or have their own room, they are considered adults and don't need permission to leave the country.

A year later she again cruised, and did not ask for a letter, so I'm assuming at age 19 she didn't need one.

We had letters prepared and took them along on various occasions and never used them. They were for my 12 year old bringing a friend and my step-daughter.

A simple signed letter granting permission to health care notorized takes minimal time to prepare and saves you any frustration that could arise. I would do it and if they don't ask, oh well. If they do, there is nothing stopping you from enjoying your cruise!

Better be safe than sorry.

At 19, they are considered an adult. We have done this with friends of my daughter's. It is not a bad idea, though, to have a letter from the aunt and uncle who I assume have legal custody giving you permission to authorize medical treatment in the event that he/she cannot speak for themselves, along with any drug or severe allergies (bee stings, etc) and the phone number of his/her doctor along with any medications taken on a regular basis and any medical problems the friend has.

Ok so I called the 800 # for carnival several times and I get different information. We are a family of 4 and my kids are each bringing a friend ages 19 and 16. I called to see if the 19 year old needs a notorized letter stating he is permitted to travel with us. The first time I called they said yes he needs a letter I explained that his mom passed away he doesn't talk with his dad he is living with his aunt and uncle. They said Carnival doesn't get technical a letter is acceptable from Aunt and Uncle. I just called back tonight to ask something else and this call said because we have 2 seperate rooms and an adult over 25 will be in the room a notorized letter isn't necessary??? Now what one has to do with the other is beyond me. I got the agents name and she said she confirmed with Guest services. I said why was I told before we need it. She said carnival recently changed their process with minors. Has anyone heard of this? I am driving from Pgh to Miami and I don't want to have anyone denied boarding. Do I call again and get the best out of 3??? What would you do?

The 19 yo is an adult. No one can give him permission to travel and no one can deny him permission to travel. There is no need for a letter.

At 19, they are considered an adult. We have done this with friends of my daughter's. It is not a bad idea, though, to have a letter from the aunt and uncle who I assume have legal custody giving you permission to authorize medical treatment in the event that he/she cannot speak for themselves, along with any drug or severe allergies (bee stings, etc) and the phone number of his/her doctor along with any medications taken on a regular basis and any medical problems the friend has.

In the case of the 19 y/o adult, the 19 y/o would need to give permission to authorize medical treatment, not the aunt and uncle, as they no longer have "legal custody" of a competent adult.

The 19 yo is an adult. No one can give him permission to travel and no one can deny him permission to travel. There is no need for a letter.

When my DD was 17, she left for London with a group of friends and chaperones one day before I followed them on a different flight. I called the airline and asked what kind of permission form they would require that the chaperones carry for my daughter. They replied, "at 17, she can fly anywhere she wants to without parental permission."

I was a little surprised at that.

A letter is meaningless legally for an adult of 19. But, if Carnival wants to see one, take one. It could mean a lot if they try to deny boarding.

I can't see how they could do that tho. A 19 year old should need the same documents as any other adult, unless the Carnival fine print on the website says something different. You never get the same answer twice from Carnival. When I do something questionable, I take a copy of the portion of the Carnival website that addresses that issue to back up whatever I do. I have never had to use it, but how could they argue with that?

I've taken the letter twice this year when I cruised with my 17yo. Carnival never asked to see it. I was told that it was needed to debark in Mexico. No one asked in Mexico either. We showed our S&S cards and passports (we have different last names)

At 19yo there should be no need for the letter.

Happy Cruising!

A letter is meaningless legally for an adult of 19. But, if Carnival wants to see one, take one. It could mean a lot if they try to deny boarding.

I can't see how they could do that tho. A 19 year old should need the same documents as any other adult, unless the Carnival fine print on the website says something different. You never get the same answer twice from Carnival. When I do something questionable, I take a copy of the portion of the Carnival website that addresses that issue to back up whatever I do. I have never had to use it, but how could they argue with that?

I looked under Carnival website and can not find anything regarding children travelling the age that documents are required can you tell me where you found the back up on there site.

When my DD was 17, she left for London with a group of friends and chaperones one day before I followed them on a different flight. I called the airline and asked what kind of permission form they would require that the chaperones carry for my daughter. They replied, "at 17, she can fly anywhere she wants to without parental permission."

I was a little surprised at that.

I believe in Texas a female is considered "adult" at 17 in some cases. Maybe this was why?

When I took my grandsons and daughter on a cruise in Sept. we had a notarized letter from her ex giving permission for them to be traveling out of the country with us and also had permission for medical treatment even though their mother was with them (in case she was also incapacitated). Carnival requires the letter but never asked to see it.

I looked under Carnival website and can not find anything regarding children travelling the age that documents are required can you tell me where you found the back up on there site.

My post was not about the OPs particular situation, but any situation. I do what the website says and take a copy of it to embarkation with me to back up whatever I am doing. The people you talk to on the phone do not always follow what the website says and you have no proof of what they told you anyway. Since you asked, in this situation I would take a copy of the following from the Carnival website.

"Carnival's policy regarding guests traveling alone or traveling with minors:

Guests are required to be 21 years old (on embarkation day) to travel. Guests under the age of 21 must be accompanied in the same stateroom by a parent or guardian 25 or older. The exceptions Carnival will make to this policy are:

Legally married couples and same gender union couples less than 21 years of age must provide Carnival with legal proof of marriage/civil union at least two weeks prior to sailing.

• Documentation can be e-mailed to individualsailingsupport@carnival.com or faxed to 305-406-6479.

• For those guests whose marriage/civil union will not take place until closer to the sailing date, they must bring proof of their marriage/civil union to embarkation. Failure to do so will result in denied boarding and no refund.

• The booking must be documented.

• Documentation: marriage license issued by the County Clerk’s Office; legal proof of civil union; for newly married couples: a copy of the marriage license application signed by the official that performed the ceremony.

Infants must be at least six months old (twelve months for Transatlantic, Hawaii and South America cruises) to be eligible to travel.

Guest ages will be verified at embarkation. Guests not conforming to this policy will be denied boarding and assessed a 100% cancellation penalty. NO exceptions will be made at embarkation.

Please note that adult guests are responsible for the safety and behavior of their minor guests. Our Camp Carnival®, Circle "C" and Club O2 programs features supervised activities for children 2-17.

Spa Carnival and fitness center: Guests under 12 years of age are not permitted in these facilities. Guests between the ages of 12 and 16 must be accompanied by an adult at all times.

All guests 16 years of age or older must provide an official photo I.D. When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico.

Air Travel / Hotel Stay - Guests under the age of 21, staying at any hotel in conjunction with Carnival’s Fly Aweigh® program, may be required to be accompanied by a guest 21 years or older in the same room as per each hotel’s policy. Permission for minor guests to fly unaccompanied is determined by the airlines as per each airline’s policy. We suggest you check with your scheduled airline for their requirements. Carnival assumes no responsibility for guests under the age of 21 traveling unaccompanied by air."

</SPAN>http://www.carnival.com/cms/faq/default.aspx?faq=age+restrictions#q-544381

It looks to me that they are saying that anyone under 21 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian in the same stateroom in order to cruise. The only exception is for marriage. In light of this, I would be concerned in this case. Gobs of people on CC say they travel with kids that are not theirs with only the notarized paper, and its probably true, but I would still be concerned if it were me as it goes against Carnivals stated policy. Maybe you could get something in writing from Carnival saying that it was ok in this case, but I doubt it. I would definitely take the letter from the guardians, even though it is meaningless legally now that he is 19. That still is not complying with this rule. Notice the BOLD. Good luck.

My post was not about the OPs particular situation, but any situation. I do what the website says and take a copy of it to embarkation with me to back up whatever I am doing. The people you talk to on the phone do not always follow what the website says and you have no proof of what they told you anyway. Since you asked, in this situation I would take a copy of the following from the Carnival website.

"Carnival's policy regarding guests traveling alone or traveling with minors:

Guests are required to be 21 years old (on embarkation day) to travel. Guests under the age of 21 must be accompanied in the same stateroom by a parent or guardian 25 or older. The exceptions Carnival will make to this policy are:

Legally married couples and same gender union couples less than 21 years of age must provide Carnival with legal proof of marriage/civil union at least two weeks prior to sailing.

• Documentation can be e-mailed to individualsailingsupport@carnival.com or faxed to 305-406-6479.

• For those guests whose marriage/civil union will not take place until closer to the sailing date, they must bring proof of their marriage/civil union to embarkation. Failure to do so will result in denied boarding and no refund.

• The booking must be documented.

• Documentation: marriage license issued by the County Clerk’s Office; legal proof of civil union; for newly married couples: a copy of the marriage license application signed by the official that performed the ceremony.

Infants must be at least six months old (twelve months for Transatlantic, Hawaii and South America cruises) to be eligible to travel.

Guest ages will be verified at embarkation. Guests not conforming to this policy will be denied boarding and assessed a 100% cancellation penalty. NO exceptions will be made at embarkation.

Please note that adult guests are responsible for the safety and behavior of their minor guests. Our Camp Carnival®, Circle "C" and Club O2 programs features supervised activities for children 2-17.

Spa Carnival and fitness center: Guests under 12 years of age are not permitted in these facilities. Guests between the ages of 12 and 16 must be accompanied by an adult at all times.

All guests 16 years of age or older must provide an official photo I.D. When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico.

Air Travel / Hotel Stay - Guests under the age of 21, staying at any hotel in conjunction with Carnival’s Fly Aweigh® program, may be required to be accompanied by a guest 21 years or older in the same room as per each hotel’s policy. Permission for minor guests to fly unaccompanied is determined by the airlines as per each airline’s policy. We suggest you check with your scheduled airline for their requirements. Carnival assumes no responsibility for guests under the age of 21 traveling unaccompanied by air."

</SPAN>http://www.carnival.com/cms/faq/default.aspx?faq=age+restrictions#q-544381

It looks to me that they are saying that anyone under 21 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian in the same stateroom in order to cruise. The only exception is for marriage. In light of this, I would be concerned in this case. Gobs of people on CC say they travel with kids that are not theirs with only the notarized paper, and its probably true, but I would still be concerned if it were me as it goes against Carnivals stated policy. Maybe you could get something in writing from Carnival saying that it was ok in this case, but I doubt it. I would definitely take the letter from the guardians, even though it is meaningless legally now that he is 19. That still is not complying with this rule. Notice the BOLD. Good luck.

The above policy is in place not to keep adults from bringing their children's friends with them on cruises, but to keep groups of under-21's from booking cruises without any adult supervision (think high schoolers or college kids on spring break).

What you've posted above relates to room arrangements, not whether or not permission forms are needed for over 18 but under 21's traveling as guests of their friends' parents . In this case, the OP would be the "guardian" of her kids' friends. As to putting all in one room, people relate here all the time that if splitting up into two rooms, Mom goes into one room and Dad goes into the other on the reservation and then they rearrange once on board. I don't remember whether or not it is Carnival or RCI, but one of them lets you put the under 21's in their own room on the reservation as long as it is linked with the adults on the reservation and either adjoining or across the hall from the adults.

Carnival does deny 19 year olds permission to board if there is no one 25 or older in the room.

Has nothing to do with needing permission to travel. A letter from a parent for a 19 year old has NO effect for anything. They are adults for all purposes and the parents have no legal right to control them at all. (This is not about family rules or who pays the bills etc.)

A letter is worthless.

Archived