Need some ideas about 2 day Pre-Cruise Stay 4/2-4/4

Minniemouse27

I've been reading online sites til my eyes fall out and I'm almost ready to just go to Priceline and wing it.

We are leaving on 4/4 on the Sensation.

We have a 3.5yo daughter traveling with us.

We are looking at arriving at the NO airport early afternoon on Saturday so will have Saturday evening and all day Sunday to explore.

Neither my dh or myself have been to NO before.

From reading the posts here... I'm surmising that I do NOT want to walk to the pier from our hotel... especially with our 3.5yo.

I obviously don't want any dubious hotel or one in a less than great area.

I've been looking into the Maison St. Charles due to the transportation to the pier. But it will cost us $145/night for two queen beds.

Any ideas or recommendations for a hotel?

How about must dos with a 3.5yo?? Aquarium? Zoo? Other stuff??

TIA

Christine

There are SO many hotels in N.O. The price you quoted is high. Read all the threads on here relating to N.O. hotels - or use the 'search' feature...lots of good rates, much better than what you've been quoted. There are no really bad hotels in the Quarter, and most of them are so old that you really enjoy the old world charm and special amenities.

Your little one might enjoy the Louisiana Children's Museum. It's very interesting, and would hold a 3.5 yr. old's attention, and most of it is hands-on. I took my grandson when he was 5, and he loved it. They have a mini-TV studio, grocery store, cafe, the "Little Port of New Orleans" exhibit, etc.

Be sure and go to Cafe du Monde for beignets and cafe au lait. They have milk and chocolate milk for little ones.

I have taken guests to the Aquarium of the Americas, where you will enjoy the aquarium (lots of local species of marine life, as well as rain forest, etc.) and can even 'pet' a baby shark!...and then board the John James Audubon, which will cruise you over to the Audubon Zoo (delightful zoo with white aligators and white tigers, and a GREAT area depicting true cajun life on the bayous), and then back to the aquarium. There is a package deal available, but I don't remember the cost. Well worth whatever it would be, though. Something you all would enjoy, I think.

I have 2 kids of my own and I would agree with Cotton, the LA childrens museum is great. The kids also love the zoo and aquarium. You might look into staying at the Hilton riverside. It might be a little more kid friendly than a place down in the french quarter. It is not too far from the pier and a short cab ride (with a youngster) to the quarter.

Minniemouse - we will be in NOLA on 4/1 and 4/2 and I found that prices are high that weekend and supply is running lower. We have a room at the Hampton on Carondolet (just outside the quarter) $140/night, but they have no more rooms available. You may not be able to be real choosy. Even orbitz, hotels.com, lodging.com, hotwire.com do not have great rates that weekend for french quarter hotels......I've been looking at them for months :)

GOOD LUCK

Minniemouse - Everything that the others have posted is true. The Childrens museum, the Audubon Zoo the Aquarium are great for kids. Also Beignets at Cafe Du Monde is something very New Orleansy and something you both won't forget, then a short walk down the French Market puts you at the Flea Market. It's open every day and the price of the souvenirs can't be beat. You can get the same T-shirts you see on Bourbon St. or at your hotel for half to one third the price and depending on the day you go (FRI. SAT. SUN) it can take a half day to see it all. I love the quarter particularly the area from Bourbon St. to the RIver. Also you could take a PaddleWheel Boat on a River Cruise. These last a couple of hours and are something to do for the whole family. I live in NEW ORLEANS so if you have any other questions just post, I'll be watching.

Okay I just got the word and we are ON the ship so I can worry about a place to stay now.

I just took a look at Hotwire and they have a 4star hotel available in "Downtown" (which looks like the business district/pier) for $96/night. They describe four star as "Wyndham, Hilton, Westin."

Anyone use Hotwire in NO before?? Any insight into what hotel it could be??

Thanks, in advance,

Christine

Well with lots of help from betterbidding.com and some bidding on priceline we got into the Renaissance Pere Marquette in the Central Business District (priceline's area designation) for $75/night compared to $189 on their site.

I would have preferred the FQ or down closer to the pier but I can deal w/ it for $75/night at what they say is a four star hotel.

I'll post back after our stay/cruise and tell ya if it is worth it :-)

Thanks for all the ideas,

Christine

I've never been in the Pier Marquette since they converted it into a 4 star hotel, but it really looks nice from the outside. It's about one block from Canal Street. Once you cross over Canal you are on the border of the French Quarter. You are definitely about 12 blocks from the pier so a cab is a must. But if you don't mind walking you can get to anyplace in the quarter, The Aquarium, the French Market, Jackson Square, Royal and Bourbon Streets from your hotel. The Childrens Museum or Emeril's Restaurant on Julia St.

Here's my tip for the day. If you want to try a great Restaraunt, try Tommys Cuisine in the Warehouse District, you won't be disappointed. And if you are in the French Quarter and want to try a great New Orleans Sandwhich for lunch, try Mesparo's on Decatur, or a Muffaletta from Central Grocery on Decatur. House of Blues is also on Decatur and a must see even during the day. So much to do in our great little city. If I think of more I'll post it.

Have fun, Ricky

And if you are in the French Quarter and want to try a great New Orleans Sandwhich for lunch, try Mesparo's on Decatur, or a Muffaletta from Central Grocery on Decatur.

Although I am in agreement about the muffaletta (Central Grocery IS the home of the original muffaletta), I reeeeeally can't go along with Maspero's. I think their po-boys are nasty.

For a GREAT po-boy, go to Pontalba Cafe. It's on St. Peters, the street that runs along the side of Jackson Square - it's catty-corner from St. Louis Cathedral. BEST po-boys in town, in my opinion (plus lots of other N.O. delicacies & had a kids' menu!), reasonable, and you have a great view of the square, through the numerous ceiling-to-floor doors which are kept open so you can people-watch!

My favorite place for lunch is Gumbo Shop, straight down the street from Pontalba - about a 1/2 block. If you go there, sit in the courtyard dining area. OH, so many, many, many wonderful places to eat in the Quarter.

The best Pastrami and Cheese Sandwhich I ever had was at Mesparo's. I don't get there much but it never has been NASTY. I'm sure if it was nasty they wouldn't have lasted for 40 years in this city. They 4 times I've been there I had to wait for a table and the place is huge for a French Quarter Restaurant. I work in the warehouse district, so if you are there and want a real New Orleans Po-Boy, go to Mothers. Yes it is a tourist trap and yes they do charge like $7.00 for a P0-Boy. (which is a lot for one down here in N.O.) but it is delicious, I recommend a Ferdi which is Ham and Roast Beef with Roast Beef Gravy on po- boy bread. Make sure you sound like a local and say you want it dressed (lettuce tomatoes and pickles, or dressed hold the pickles or whatever.) If it weren't great you wouldn't see the locals along with the tourist lined up down the street during all the conventions we have here. There are so many places to eat down here that it's hard to find a bad one, and the bad one's don't stay in businesss long. My rule to tourists is, call first and ask how long a restaurant has been in business and if it's over 10 years w/ the original owners, then eat there.

Make sure you get some beignets and cafe au lait from Moring Call! The real New Orleans thing to do!

OK, sorry - bad choice of words. But, to ME, there are much better po-boys around the Quarter than Maspero's. Yep, the lines are always long, but mostly tourists. I lived in the Garden District most of my life until I moved to Gulfport. I've eaten as Maspero's only twice and was very disappointed. I went ONLY because visiting friends insisted that's where they wanted to go....tourists! Just because a place has been in business a long time doesn't make it good, but as long as the tourists don't know any better.......? Maspero's is conveniently located, folks see the long line and think "This must be a great restaurant." :rolleyes:

BUT - if you like it, that's fine. Everybody has different tastes.:)

Morning Call? Not bad at all, but Cafe du Monde's beignets and cafe au lait is to die for. Some of the other places that serve beignets don't have a clue as to how to make a decent one, and I think it's sad when tourists go to those places and THINK they've had real beignets. But we don't need to get into that.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on Maspero's.:D Have a great day.

Cotton' date=' do you know anything about the Cajun Cabin in the FQ?[/quote']

Wish I could help, but I have never had a meal there. I've enjoyed the original Patout's restaurant, so I feel sure the food would be great, since the same family owns it.:) (BTW, in case you're wondering, Patout's is pronounced paa-toos.)

Hi Christine,

My daughter was nearly 5 y old last December. We´ve been to the Aquarium and the Zoo (take the John James Audubon boat and a combi ticket for Zoo, Aquarium and boat ride). She also enjoyed the Childrens Museum at Julia St. If you need a playground take the Canal Street Streetcar to City Park (have a look on the sign of the streetcar, not all are going out to City Park). There´s a tiny theme park called Storyland (admission charged) which is great for a 3.5 y old and a wonderful playground. My daughter enjoyed the streetcar rides. Being a daughter of a steamboat buff my daughter also enjoyed the harbor cruises on the steamboat Natchez. If you don´t want to take a cruise then at least listen to the calliope (steam organ) of the boat which is played twice a day before departure. Cab ride was a fixed rate from the Central Business District to the Cruise Line Terminal ($14). We stayed in the Drury Inn at Carondelet/Poydras which was close to St. Charles St Streetcar and the stop was just around the corner.

steamboats

• 2 months later...

Archived