NYC December three days only

annecolorgreen

Hi! I LOOOOOVED this site when researching my Hawaiian cruise and thought you might help me with an upcoming short stay in NYC.

Due to frequent flyer miles and Hilton rewards, we have an opportunity to stay free at the Hilton New York (close to Times Square and Central Park). We are flying into LaGuardia and are planning to use a car service to get there and back. We arrive at about noon on Saturday Dec. 4th and leave at 5:30 pm Monday the 6th.

The only definite plans we have so far are to go see the Rockettes on Monday at 11:00 am (cheaper). We want to see Ground Zero and Christmas lights...other than that, we are open to anything.

Any recommendations? Food, tours, not doing tours, "must sees"?? I'm also curious about the New York Pass and how easy that is to use. I thought that may help with costs too. I don't think we want to see any other shows on this trip.

We want to get the most bang for our trip and buck :D.

Insider info appreciated ;).

BTW, I have been to NYC three years in a row in high school but am now 42. :rolleyes: My husband doesn't like crowds but this was his idea :rolleyes:.

Hi Anne...First and foremost, Manhattan will be mobbed. From the sidewalks to the restaurants, there will be lots and lots of people.

Christmas lights will be everywhere, but you may want to stroll along Madison or Fifth Avenues. Take a walk through Central Park. A tour of Radio City Music Hall is fun, since you'll be there to see the Rockettes anyway. Walk through St. Patrick's Cathedral, visit Times Square (since it's been a long time). Ground Zero is downtown, so a taxi, subway or bus will get you there. Visit Top of the Rock (Rockefeller Center), watch the skaters there. Some love to visit Macy's. The Carnegie Hall tour is nice.

Any tickets or reservations for anything, book now.

Food? There's a zillion places to be recommended, depending on what you're looking for.

It's probably going to be quite cold, so be prepared. Remember, NYC is a walking city and you'll be amazed at how much mileage you will cover on foot.

Lots of info on the Hilton New York and what's in the area here:

http://www.oyster.com/new-york-city/hotels/hilton-new-york/#checkin=2011-03-07&checkout=2011-03-09

Do a search here for NYC and you'll find lots of suggestions. The city will be gorgeous, but it will most definitely be very crowded. Good luck and have a great time! ;)

Thanks for that website--I've looked at tripadvisor, but that was a nice "overview" to share with my husband (it's always best to be prepared for the negatives in my opinion). Thanks for the other information too. I wondered about the backstage tours at Carnegie and Radio City--they are both included on the NY Pass so they are options for sure!

• 4 weeks later...
Hi! I LOOOOOVED this site when researching my Hawaiian cruise and thought you might help me with an upcoming short stay in NYC.

Due to frequent flyer miles and Hilton rewards, we have an opportunity to stay free at the Hilton New York (close to Times Square and Central Park). We are flying into LaGuardia and are planning to use a car service to get there and back. We arrive at about noon on Saturday Dec. 4th and leave at 5:30 pm Monday the 6th.

The only definite plans we have so far are to go see the Rockettes on Monday at 11:00 am (cheaper). We want to see Ground Zero and Christmas lights...other than that, we are open to anything.

Any recommendations? Food, tours, not doing tours, "must sees"?? I'm also curious about the New York Pass and how easy that is to use. I thought that may help with costs too. I don't think we want to see any other shows on this trip.

We want to get the most bang for our trip and buck :D.

Insider info appreciated ;).

BTW, I have been to NYC three years in a row in high school but am now 42. :rolleyes: My husband doesn't like crowds but this was his idea :rolleyes:.

Hi there... It looks like we are flying in and leaving NY on the same days. :) I fly in early on Saturday and fly out late on Monday. What car service are you using?

Thanks for that website--I've looked at tripadvisor, but that was a nice "overview" to share with my husband (it's always best to be prepared for the negatives in my opinion). Thanks for the other information too. I wondered about the backstage tours at Carnegie and Radio City--they are both included on the NY Pass so they are options for sure!

I don't find the NY Pass a good option, unless you are going to use them all.

I have been on both tours, very good, if of interest to see??

Any tickets or reservations for anything, book now.

QUOTE]

I have gone at Christmas, every year for years. Also know the city extremely well as use to like in Queens.

Anyway, I disagree with this "Any" tickets, book now. The Christmas Spectacular show, is ALWAYS at the 1/2 booth at least 50% of the time, and most certainly will be up for this Monday show. BUT, with them being there all those days, IF no other plans, if they were to be at the TKTS booths from their first opportunity , they will get discounted tickets. :) I get them every year.

Archived