I need advice!! Trying to redeem my CapitalOne certificate

NHLady

I have requested quotes from several on-line agencies. Several have called me back and stated that they don't accept the CapitalOne certificate ($500.00 off best price). They suggest that I book with Carnival directly and then switch the booking to them. What would be the advantage to that?? I can understand the agency not giving you the full amount of the certificate, but I'm surprised some don't take them at all. Any advise would be much appreciated!1

Karen

My understanding is that Carnival pays the commission to the travel agent on the price of the cruise less any discounts. So if your cruise is $1300 and then you subtract the $500 they will only get commission on the $800. It really doesn't sound fair because you know that Carnival will get their money from Capital One (maybe at a little discount) so what difference does it make. We recently booked and finally went direct with Carnival PVP. We had enough to qualify for both a $500 and $1000 off and they didn't want to combine them, until I made several calls to supervisors. Hope this helps. Wiz:)

You Book With Any Travel Agent Then Call The Fun Rewards Dept With Your Pin # From Capital One And Carnival Credits Your Booking You Need Your Booking #.

I should call around, get the best price, without telling them that I have a discount certificate. Then I get my booking number and call Carnival rewards department. They will credit my account. Isn't this going tick off my travel agent?? How could they possibly reduce the discount as Wiz describes if I give it directly to Carnival??

Karen

Other postings had mentioed that Carnival will only deal with the TA now to redeem rewards (if that is who you booked with). So, you may be stuck anyway. They will reduce the TA's amount one way or another!

I just used a $1,00 rewared, but have more to use. I wonder if you can get the best price from a PVP (make them be competitive with your TA), and later you can redeem with Carnival directly. That might work?

I should call around, get the best price, without telling them that I have a discount certificate. Then I get my booking number and call Carnival rewards department. They will credit my account. Isn't this going tick off my travel agent?? How could they possibly reduce the discount as Wiz describes if I give it directly to Carnival??

Karen

You got it! If it is going to upset your TA then book direct.

Steve

the way it has been explained to me is that Carnival applies the certificate as cash so it does not affect the commission at all. I recently booked a cruise for my daughter for her honeymoon. I did book directly as her fiance is an airline pilot and Carnival gives pilots a discount. I booked the cruise and got the pilot discount and applied the certificate then transferred the cruise to a TA. The TA then discounted their commission. What a great price they got for their honeymoon.

NHLady:

I ran into the same problem too when I tried to book my May Glory cruise two months ago. It turned out that a TA I have used before gave me the best price and would handle the Capital One reward. I got the full $1,000 off. I know I am not suppose to give the name of TA here but you can email me if you want to know. I can not say enough good thing about her. The Glory would be the 3rd cruise that I have booked through her.

NHLady:

I ran into the same problem too when I tried to book my May Glory cruise two months ago. It turned out that a TA I have used before gave me the best price and would handle the Capital One reward. I got the full $1,000 off. I know I am not suppose to give the name of TA here but you can email me if you want to know. I can not say enough good thing about her. The Glory would be the 3rd cruise that I have booked through her.

I tried to e-mail you, but your profile doesn't have one listed. Please e-mail me @ Karen.Gourley@adelphia.net with the contact info. I really appreciate it!

Karen

Archived