Quimper -- or Concarneau & Pont Aven?

DrFUN

From Brest next June (2011) on the Prinsendam, we're trying to decide between a day in Quimper or a day in Concarneau & Pont Aven. We're hoping for a private driver/guide for 6 of us -- but would consider renting a car (or, at worst) one of the ship's excursions.

Can anyone provide details about which might be more interesting?

Many thanks,

Mary-Lou

We've been to Quimper a few times and really like just soaking up the French atmosphere. Not a lot of sightseeing as such but there's a great market, lovely cathedral and interesting buildings. Had an idyllic day there last spring basking in bright sunshine and enjoying 'moules et frites' and a bottle of red wine at a table outside a restaurant in the Market Square. Pont Aven is also very pretty. If I remember rightly the best day to visit is a Sunday when a huge market takes place. Haven't actually visited Concarneau as have heard not much to see... but I guess that depends what you're interested in. We just enjoy the French way of life so prefer to visit the towns.

We've been to Quimper a few times and really like just soaking up the French atmosphere. Not a lot of sightseeing as such but there's a great market, lovely cathedral and interesting buildings. Had an idyllic day there last spring basking in bright sunshine and enjoying 'moules et frites' and a bottle of red wine at a table outside a restaurant in the Market Square. Pont Aven is also very pretty. If I remember rightly the best day to visit is a Sunday when a huge market takes place. Haven't actually visited Concarneau as have heard not much to see... but I guess that depends what you're interested in. We just enjoy the French way of life so prefer to visit the towns.

Merci beaucoup! :)

I appreciate your excellent info.

Mary-Lou

• 2 months later...
We also spent a lovely day in Quimper -- there was a lively market and we had a nice lunch overlooking the town square. Since we docked on a Sunday, there were no taxis available, we booked the ship's tour and then explored the town on our own.

Sounds delightful. Thanks!

• 3 months later...
We will be in Brest for only about 6 hours. Would this be enough time to visit Quimper?

Thanks for any information.

Nancy

It seems too tight... unless you rent a car or have something pre-scheduled.

At the end of April this year, we tried to do both Brest & Quimper (on our own using local transportation)... we had to use the RCI shuttle bus service to Brest Downtown (from where the ship was docked; then back to the ship "Vision of the Seas")... Arrived in Brest too late to go to Quimper on our own and then return on time to catch the last shuttle back to the Pier (due to train/bus schedule).

However, everyone seemed to agree that Quimper should be the first option over Brest, so next time, we know exactly what to do!

Happy sailing!

Archived