American changed my flight!! What can I do?

Kay129

Hi all,

Just got notice from American that my departure flight has been changed. We are cruising on the Sensation out of N.O. 4/18 and return 4/23. My flight on 4/23 was supposed to be @ 1:30 and has been changed to 10:22. When originally booking, I chose the later flight (which was more expensive) b/c I thought, no way I'll make a 10:22 on a Saturday in N.O.

What rights do I have? Any? :rolleyes: I have a nonrefundable ticket. I read on another thread that Rule 240 does not exist since the deregulation of airlines.

If I were to miss that flight does travel insurance cover it? (I haven't purchased it yet, am doing so today. Yes, I am over 14/21 days since my first payment, so I'm trying to figure that out too.)

I just want to know what I'm able to do since I have a feeling that American isn't gonna be too helpful if I don't know what I'm talking about. Thanks :)

K

I'm not sure how much difference there was in price, but I would certainly make an issue with the airlines that they at least owe you the difference between the flight you paid for and the one you received. That is only fair. If you wanted the earlier flight you could have had it more cheaply.

I'm not sure of all the ins and outs of travel insurance, but I thought the 14-21 day purchase only applied to pre-existing medical conditions. Can someone back me up on that?

Thanks for all the replies!

A related question: if I wind up staying booked on the 10:22, and I miss it, what happens next? Is it American's responsiblity to put me on a flight? Do I have to buy a full-priced airfare that day? Am I just pushed onto the next flight to my destination?

Have you called American yet? That's the first step. I bet they'll just book you on a later flight, with no troubles.

That said, if you keep your current reservation and miss the 10:22 flight, they'll put youy on standby on their later flights. There will be no guarantee of getting home unless you buy a same-day ticket. So just call American and get it changed to a later flight.

I had the same problem but it was for our flight going down...not a problem since we're traveling the day before our cruise and it gets us into Orlando only about 90 minutes later. I did ask how much it would be to change our flight on the day we return from our cruise since it was very tight from Orlando and we'd have to do self-debark, etc. I not only got it changed but only one connection instead of two. The rep I spoke with was fabulous and best of all, NO CHARGE! Our flight is at 5:30 p.m. and just confirmed a day room with the Hyatt for $75. Better than just sitting around the airport, that's for sure! Full use of all facilities from 10-6 and it's steps from our gate!

We also had American change our flights. At least both flights down and back were changed to later times and not earlier. They will change the flight if you explain your situation to them. You are not on the earlier flight by choice, they are the ones that put you on the earlier flight.

Guest Crazeecat5

Hi,

Just found out that American changed our flights too. We are on the Sensation on April 23. My outbound flight was changed to about 20 minutes later, no big deal. Our return flight was changed from 2:20 PM to 10:22 AM. Luckily we will be staying for 2 days post cruise in NOLA so leaving the hotel a bit earlier is not a problem. Would have liked a few more hours in NOLA though.

OP, please let us know how it turns out.

Sheryl

Archived