Cartagena in January -- Suggestions?

ivansbride1955

We were in Cartegena in April and I felt perfectly safe there. While I have read about various self-guided walking tours of the old city, I think you would get so much more out of your visit by doing a guided tour. There are a number of tour guides recommended on these boards and the boards from Trip Advisor (Lee Miles, Dora, Claudia and our guide, J.J. Taborda). I would recommend you arrange for a private tour or a small guided tour to include the La Popa Monastery and the Fort of San Felipe in addition to sites in the old city. Also, from our experience, and from what I have read, the guides are amenable to including shopping in the tour or excluding it completely if you are not interested in shopping.

When we were in Cartagena last February, we hired a cab just outside the cruise terminal centre and went to the old colonial walled part of the city and walked about there for about 4 hours. It is filled with activity and interesting architecture. We never felt threatened at all and thoroughly enjoyed our time there. It was easy to find a cab to take us back to the ship.

If we went back, we would go back and explore some more, because it is such a rich historic part of the city. Just posted our pics.

http://picasaweb.google.com/pandcpayne/Cartagena?feat=directlink

Enjoy :)

• 3 weeks later...
When we were in Cartagena last February, we hired a cab just outside the cruise terminal centre and went to the old colonial walled part of the city and walked about there for about 4 hours. It is filled with activity and interesting architecture. We never felt threatened at all and thoroughly enjoyed our time there. It was easy to find a cab to take us back to the ship.

Would appreciate knowing what you paid for the cab.

Archived