Return of deceased/repatriation of remains - insurance

cravingthis

I have medical coverage through my employer but purchasing Trip Cancellation/Interuption as a separate policy. I'm going on a Caribbean cruise.

Does anyone find the fine print in a policy difficult to read, as if you need a lawyer to even understand it all? Thankfully, I tried my best to read through all 34 pages and highlighted any areas I didn't understand and the insurance agent was patient enough to explain it all to me. Then I had to read through 70+ pages of my medical coverage!

Repatriation of remains isn't covered, but it is under my medical plan through my employer. Reading even further, I found out the coverage is only to a maximum of $5,000

Here is an article I read and also what would happen on a cruise ship: Repatriation of remains cost, etc.

http://www.essortment.com/articles/repatriation-of-remains_7214.htm

I have no idea about costs, and not sure if $5,000 would cover it.

Hmmm... that's odd. I thought repatriation of remains was usually covered under the medevac sections of most travel insurance policies. Which policy have you selected?

I mentioned buying the trip cancellation/interuption policy, as I have medical coverage under my employer's plan. It covers repatriation but to $5,000

OP is from Canada, so the coverages and policies available to Canadians differ from those available to US residents. Most US travel policies combine medical and cancellation coverage and it is near impossible to find a US policy that covers only Trip Cancellation/Interruption without Medical.

What Sirwired says is true for most US policies, repatriation of remains is covered up to policy limits under the Emergency Evacuation section; many basic policies start at $100,000 of coverage for evacuation/repatriation.

As always, you need to read the fine print of any plan you're considering. The repatriation coverage (sometimes called "return of mortal remains") will fall into three basic categories:

1) Not covered at all

2) Included as part of the emergency evac coverage with coverage limit the same as the evac coverage

3) Included but at a lower benefit level than the evac coverage. For example, evac limit might be $250,000 but repatriation covered only up to $10,000

Here's from Travelex:

REPATRIATION OF REMAINS

The Company will pay the reasonable Covered Expenses incurred to return Your body to Your primary place of residence if You die during the Covered Trip. This will not exceed the maximum shown on the Confirmation of Coverage [in this example, the limit is $250,000].

Covered Expenses include, but are not limited to, expenses for embalming, cremation, casket for transport and transportation."

that last part is important. Most airlines won't transport a body that has not been properly prepared. You really don't want the insurance paying for the flight but not paying for the expenses needed to prepare the body to be flown.

Here's from another plan:

"5. The reasonable cost of transporting Your remains to Your primary place of residence if You die during a Covered Trip."

Will they pay to have the body prepared for transport? Can't tell. But a case can be made that they would consider the cost of embalming the body to not be their responsibility. You or your family would be on the hook for dealing with that.

Also, you need to look to see if the pre-existing condition exclusion applies to the repatriation coverage -- with some plans it will, with others it won't.

As always, you need to read the fine print of any plan you're considering. The repatriation coverage (sometimes called "return of mortal remains") will fall into three basic categories:

1) Not covered at all

2) Included as part of the emergency evac coverage with coverage limit the same as the evac coverage

3) Included but at a lower benefit level than the evac coverage. For example, evac limit might be $250,000 but repatriation covered only up to $10,000

Here's from Travelex:

REPATRIATION OF REMAINS

The Company will pay the reasonable Covered Expenses incurred to return Your body to Your primary place of residence if You die during the Covered Trip. This will not exceed the maximum shown on the Confirmation of Coverage [in this example, the limit is $250,000].

Covered Expenses include, but are not limited to, expenses for embalming, cremation, casket for transport and transportation."

that last part is important. Most airlines won't transport a body that has not been properly prepared. You really don't want the insurance paying for the flight but not paying for the expenses needed to prepare the body to be flown.

Here's from another plan:

"5. The reasonable cost of transporting Your remains to Your primary place of residence if You die during a Covered Trip."

Will they pay to have the body prepared for transport? Can't tell. But a case can be made that they would consider the cost of embalming the body to not be their responsibility. You or your family would be on the hook for dealing with that.

Also, you need to look to see if the pre-existing condition exclusion applies to the repatriation coverage -- with some plans it will, with others it won't.

Thanks, a lot to think about!

Archived