Venuce train station

cruiseron36

We will be taking the train from Florence to Venice in October 2011. There is a station in Mestre and in Venice. Which one should I get off at and what is the best way to get to the cruise port from either one. I understand you can take a taxi from Mestre.. I am not sure how you get there from the station in Venice??

We will be taking the train from Florence to Venice in October 2011. There is a station in Mestre and in Venice. Which one should I get off at and what is the best way to get to the cruise port from either one. I understand you can take a taxi from Mestre.. I am not sure how you get there from the station in Venice??

Mestre is easier. A taxi can take you directly to the luggage drop at the terminal. From Venice railway stn., you would lug your baggage over this bridge. (photo attached) then cross P Roma about 100 yards, take the people mover tram to the port and lug your baggage again.

221069125_Grandcanalbridge.jpg.19ac093c335b9ded89b332b94ee92355.jpg

Mestre is easier. A taxi can take you directly to the luggage drop at the terminal. From Venice railway stn., you would lug your baggage over this bridge. (photo attached) then cross P Roma about 100 yards, take the people mover tram to the port and lug your baggage again.

Can you catch a water taxi at the Lucia station (cost?) - or what would the taxi cost be from the Mestre station - it looks like quite a distance to the cruiseport. Are you speaking from experience or ??

Thank you

Can you catch a water taxi at the Lucia station (cost?) - or what would the taxi cost be from the Mestre station - it looks like quite a distance to the cruiseport. Are you speaking from experience or ??

Thank you

Yes you can get a water taxi at the Venice train station. The fare to the Marittima would be at least 75 Euro and the trip would take 15 minutes.

The Mestre train station is 8.7 km from the cruise port. (10-15 minutes) By comparison Marco polo airport is 13.5 km. The taxi fare from the airport to the port is about 35E. i don't know the fare from Mestre train stn. but it should be less. There are also public buses from Mestre to P. Roma from where you would take the people mover tram to the port for 1 Euro per person. The tram takes 3 minutes and has elevators at each end.

My experience is with water taxis from the cruise terminal to our hotel and from our hotel to the airport. Expensive but great fun. Hardly necessary when arriving by train.

Yes you can get a water taxi at the Venice train station. The fare to the Marittima would be at least 75 Euro and the trip would take 15 minutes.

The Mestre train station is 8.7 km from the cruise port. (10-15 minutes) By comparison Marco polo airport is 13.5 km. The taxi fare from the airport to the port is about 35E. i don't know the fare from Mestre train stn. but it should be less. There are also public buses from Mestre to P. Roma from where you would take the people mover tram to the port for 1 Euro per person. The tram takes 3 minutes and has elevators at each end.

My experience is with water taxis from the cruise terminal to our hotel and from our hotel to the airport. Expensive but great fun. Hardly necessary when arriving by train.

Do yoou know how far the water taxis are from the train stattion? How far would you have to schlep your luggage?

The Santa Lucia station is IN Venice.

The Mestre station is on the mainland BUT land taxis can go directly from this station across the causeway to the cruise terminal. IF you take the train across the causeway you will find yourself IN Venice where transportation is by water.

There are public water buses(vaporettos) right outside the Santa Lucia station BUT they don't go to the cruise terminal and if you have tons of luggage it won't work. IF you have just one rolling bag + backpack( or something like that) you could manage on the vaporetto and then the "people mover" and then walk but not with a lot of luggage!!

A private water taxi is VERY expensive and will cost more than the land taxi from Mestre.

100-200 yards from the platform to the dock with a small flight of well spaced stairs. The distance should not be a deterrent.

It's very important that you know if your ship is docking at San Basilio or Marittima as they are a long distance apart and suggestions for one won't apply to the other.

Do yoou know how far the water taxis are from the train stattion? How far would you have to schlep your luggage?

Archived