Lone World Sailor Jessica Watson Enjoys Some P&O Cruises' Luxury

thied

Solo sailor Jessica Watson is cruising the high seas enjoying some onboard luxury that was a world away as she sailed 24,000 nautical miles unassisted around the globe.

Jessica and her family are currently on a seven day South Pacific voyage on board P&O Cruises' superliner Pacific Dawn for an author's cruise promoting Jessica’s book, True Spirit.

The P&O Cruises’ holiday was inspired by a chance encounter in the Indian Ocean in March this year between Jessica, then aged 16, and Captain Nick Bates, the Master of Cunard’s liner, Queen Mary 2.

Jessica and Captain Bates spoke by satellite phone as the legendary QM2 and the tiny Pink Lady travelled in separate directions across the vast ocean. QM2’s passengers, including around 1000 Australians, listened in on the conversation via the ship’s public address system.

Jessica commented on her blog that day: "I talked to 'Captain Nick' of the Queen Mary 2 over the satellite phone today as they passed well to the north of Ella's Pink Lady. They were headed from Perth to Mauritius and Nick passed on the best wishes of all the Aussie passengers and left me thinking a little longingly of all the luxuries on board the QM2."

Ann Sherry, CEO of Carnival Australia, which represents both Cunard and P&O Cruises, decided Jessica should be able to enjoy a little cruise ship luxury when she completed her 24,000 nautical mile voyage.

"The whole of Australia was impressed by Jessica’s amazing and awe inspiring achievement in sailing solo and unassisted around the world," Ms Sherry said.

"We thought Jessica and her family, who waited so patiently for her safe return, deserved something really special and I was delighted to invite them to be our guests on P&O Cruises’ Pacific Dawn."

Ann Sherry extended the invitation in a satellite call to Jessica as the lone sailor headed north past Tasmania on the final and one of the stormiest legs of her 210-day voyage, which ended with a hero’s welcome at the Sydney Opera House on May 15.

On Pacific Dawn this week, it has been all smooth and relaxed sailing for Jessica and her family who visited the bridge at the invitation of Pacific Dawn’s Captain Neil Turnbull.

Jessica was today scheduled to chat to passengers about her voyage and her book, True Spirit, in an author’s event in Pacific Dawn’s show lounge.

And in another honour to cap a momentous year, Jessica was last night named Queensland’s Young Australian of the Year.

source P&O

and the web link is

http://www.pocruises.com.au/AboutUs/News/Pages/lone-world-sailor-jessica-watson-enjoys-some-po-cruises-luxury.aspx

A suite and nothing less then a suite for her and her family and good on her as well.

I second your comment Thied!!! I also read her book and thoroughly enjoyed it, the amount of work/study etc that went into her trip prior to sailing was very interesting, Jessica and alot of other good people worked very hard and I had no idea of how much effort was required until I read her book ... amazing is all I can say.......:D Yes I recommend Jessica's book...Nett

I second your comment Thied!!! I also read her book and thoroughly enjoyed it, the amount of work/study etc that went into her trip prior to sailing was very interesting, Jessica and alot of other good people worked very hard and I had no idea of how much effort was required until I read her book ... amazing is all I can say.......:D Yes I recommend Jessica's book...Nett

Nett, I also have her book and I agree in regards to the preparation etc Anyone who had negative comments about her going would change their mind if they read her book and see just how well prepared and experienced she was. Reading her book inspired me to read Jesse Martin's "Lionheart" which I am still currently doing. I shake my head at some of the things he as said & done. He was nowhere near as prepared & experienced as Jessica was. But....he did it, so good on him:).

Archived