Anyone interested in Royal Suite on Explorer November 28?

Dear friends:

Greetings from Spain.

Due to an unexpected business matter, we can't go on the Explorer of the Seas this Sunday, November 28, in the Royal Suite (12 nights).

We are trying to give the cruise to someone else and recoup our cost, or as near cost as possible. Here in Spain, last minute name changes are legal and what we are trying to do has the support of RCCL Spain and the travel agency where we purchased the cruise, which happens to be Spain's largest and most renowned department store travel agency.

Is there any precedent for what we are trying to do on Cruise Critic? Can somebody point me in the right direction as to where on the Internet I might offer this?

If this post is inappropriate, I apologize in advance. I read the rules, and I am not a travel agent offering commercial goods or services, and I am not trying to make money, just attempting to recoup a potential loss and give someone the opportunity to have a wonderful last-minute holiday at the same time.

Thanks for your guidance.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Dear friends:

Greetings from Spain.

Due to an unexpected business matter, we can't go on the Explorer of the Seas this Sunday, November 28, in the Royal Suite (12 nights).

We are trying to give the cruise to someone else and recoup our cost, or as near cost as possible. Here in Spain, last minute name changes are legal and what we are trying to do has the support of RCCL Spain and the travel agency where we purchased the cruise, which happens to be Spain's largest and most renowned department store travel agency.

Is there any precedent for what we are trying to do on Cruise Critic? Can somebody point me in the right direction as to where on the Internet I might offer this?

If this post is inappropriate, I apologize in advance. I read the rules, and I am not a travel agent offering commercial goods or services, and I am not trying to make money, just attempting to recoup a potential loss and give someone the opportunity to have a wonderful last-minute holiday at the same time.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I'm assuming that you have no travel insurance, not that it would cover a voluntary decision to abandon the trip anyway. Can somebody already booked on this trip pay you some consideration and swap into your cabin? That would be your best bet, I guess.

Otherwise, some happy cruiser will receive good news at the Pier Coordinator's desk at Cape Liberty. Or the ship will auction it off as a bingo prize.

Dear friends:

Greetings from Spain.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

RCCL policy is to allow one (1) and only 1 name change in a reservation. Since most likely both names would require changing RCCL will cancel the reservation and rebook and you will be charged cancellation penalties.

Spanish law allows me to do exactly what I am doing, which is why this has already been cleared by RCCL Madrid office and the travel agency.

If we can't find someone to take the cruise and recoup the cost, we'll try to go ourselves and make the best of it, by conducting our business from there.

In any case, I do appreciate everybody's responses and to the poster above, congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

CruisinGerman,

Just curious - since you can change both names, do they have much of an issue with price speculation by people not really planning to cruise?

Seems like if you were smart about which cruises were likely to go up in price, you could make a nice Euro reserving cruises and selling them at a profit.

CruisinGerman,

Just curious - since you can change both names, do they have much of an issue with price speculation by people not really planning to cruise?

Seems like if you were smart about which cruises were likely to go up in price, you could make a nice Euro reserving cruises and selling them at a profit.

Cruise cabins for use on one specific day if the year are hardly a commodity one can make a profit on, much less a living.

Thanks everyone for your good wishes. We're going to try to go.

Mark_K: The EU law and consequent policy in Spain is meant for situations such as mine -- last minute cancellation for uninsurable reasons, so that nobody is hurt financially -- the cruise line doesn't lose its money and nor does the passenger.

There are exclusions to this law and practice if detected you are doing it on purpose for commercial reasons -- whether or not the cruise line has the ability to detect it is another matter on which I have no information.

In any case, we're trying to make it work so that we go on the trip.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I'm on this sailing. I hope you are able to get things squared away. :) WOW I can't imagine being in a suite like that! Hubby, kids & I are in 2 interior rooms. Good luck!!

Two Words - "Pier Coordinator"

If Gunther can't swing it, be there early.

But in his situation, I would go on the trip; there is a business center on the ship. I always carry a secondary laptop chock full of client files and past tax returns with me and have E-Mailed PDFs of a long tax return to somebody who needed it yesterday to complete a major financial action. This was done 200 miles off the coast of California.

Archived