Help with BioBay tour?

mrar

Hi, I am going on a cruise for a late honeymoon in Feb. I wanted to suprise my husband by doing one of these tours. I have looked up the moon phases and it looks like after the cruise will be perfect to do this type of activity. Does anyone have any suggestions for tours? Ideally, we would like to do one where you actually swim in the water, and a smaller group would probably be better, but I am open to suggestions. Also, any recommendations for transportation to/from San Juan; Vieques or Fajardo; nice hotels/inns or any other general information/suggestions about this area of PR? Thanks!

I went on the Vieques bio bay tour and swimming in the warm bay with the sparkling water all over me was quite amazing! We used East Wind out of Fajardo. I think we left about 6 PM. The boat ride was about 45 minutes, we boarded vans to dinner which was excellent (included) and then a bus to the bay. We were back at about 11 PM.

My sister lives in San Juan so we drove to and from Fajardo that night. However, I hear there are good B&B's at Luquillo Beach near there.

Thanks! Does anyone else have any recommendations? Also, is there any convenient way to do this excursion and still stay at a hotel in San Juan? I've heard something about Kayaking Puerto Rico does something like this. Does anyone have any insight on that company?

Thanks! Does anyone else have any recommendations? Also, is there any convenient way to do this excursion and still stay at a hotel in San Juan? I've heard something about Kayaking Puerto Rico does something like this. Does anyone have any insight on that company?

We did the biobay with them about a month ago. This tour does not allow you to swim in the bay. You kayak out into the marina and then down a canal and into the biobay.

We did the rainforest and biobay combo, they picked us at our hotel about 11am in Old San Juan and went to the rainforest and walked down to the waterfall, you were able to get into the water under the falls. Then it was on to a no host lunch/dinner.

We got to the biobay at 6pm, after a short do's & don'ts we were off in the kayaks. The kayak trip lasted until about 8:30 or so and we were back in OSJ around 10:30pm. The entire kayak trip was after dark. The kayaks are the two person type.

If you never been in a kayak before, don't worry you will catch on fast, we never kayaked before either and we did great.

It was a long day but we had a great time and would recommend the this tour. Anything else just ask.

They have a web site you can go to and e-mail them with questions.

Hi, I am going on a cruise for a late honeymoon in Feb. I wanted to suprise my husband by doing one of these tours. I have looked up the moon phases and it looks like after the cruise will be perfect to do this type of activity. Does anyone have any suggestions for tours? Ideally, we would like to do one where you actually swim in the water, and a smaller group would probably be better, but I am open to suggestions. Also, any recommendations for transportation to/from San Juan; Vieques or Fajardo; nice hotels/inns or any other general information/suggestions about this area of PR? Thanks!

We went on the Bio Bay excursion in Vieques. This was an amazing and unique experience for our family. This experience is offered through East Island Excursions. They are the only tour company which offers the Bioluminiescent Bay tour from the mainland without having to stay overnight on the island of Vieques. We rented a car and drove from San Juan to the Puerto Del Ray Marina in Fajardo (this is where this tour commences). If you don`t want to drive, East Island Excursions also offers pick up from your hotel (at an extra cost).

We had 30 minutes to swim among the dinoflagellates in Mosquito Bay. From what I understand, Kayaking Puerto Rico in Fajardo, does not allow you to swim in the bio bay. So if you really want to swim in the water, then the Bio Bay excursion in Vieques would be the way to go. Including our family there were approx. 35 people on this excursion, so dealing with crowds of people was not an issue at all.

If you are interested, I have written a detailed review with photos of our Bio Bay excursion. To view it, click on the link below and read post #174.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1038334&page=9

I have also put together a short youtube video.

Puerto Del Rey and our Vieques Bio Bay Experience with East Island Excursions, July 13, 2009

After exploring the Puerto Del Rey Marina, we climbed aboard East Island Excursions fast power catamaran for a 45-minute ride to the island of Vieques. Once in Vieques we were shuttled over to Island Adventures for a yummy dinner, before boarding a rickety old bus to Mosquito Bay. From here, we boarded a flat electric pontoon boat which took us out into the Bay, where we were able to float and swim and experience the bioluminescence of the glowing Bay. (Sorry, due to the darkness of the night, I do not have actual photos of us in the Bay). Length: 2:12

I hope this information helps. If you have any other questions, I would be happy to answer them.

Rainforest girl, was looking for info for the biobay, as we're planning on returning to PR this summer. While I was reading this thread, I noticed you have a cruise coming up. Hope you have a blast. If you like chocolate, you must have the Princess Loveboat Dream.;)

Rainforest girl, was looking for info for the biobay, as we're planning on returning to PR this summer. While I was reading this thread, I noticed you have a cruise coming up. Hope you have a blast. If you like chocolate, you must have the Princess Loveboat Dream.;)

Thanks- yes, I am looking forward to it. I bought some clothes that are a little big on me because I plan on eating one of everything!

Actually, I think we might rent a car and stay the night in Vieques. Vieques Adventure Tours sounds awesome, they have transparent kayaks and the guide sounds great too. I am a little curious about where to park a rental in Fajardo and all the logistics, but seeing as how renting a car is so inexpensive, it sounds like much less hassle than it previously did.

Ok, scratch that. I'm going to stick with East Island like rainforestgirl said. Sounds so much easier just staying in San Juan. Sorry, rainforestgirl, I should have known better and listened to you. ha

I have taken the excursion with East Wind and will say that you should not miss out on this if your you can make it work! It is easy to rent a car and get there. I think it took a little under an hour from our hotel in San Juan. They have secure parking at the Marina. There is a security guard that you speak with to get in. Let him know you are with East Wind.

Ok, scratch that. I'm going to stick with East Island like rainforestgirl said. Sounds so much easier just staying in San Juan. Sorry, rainforestgirl, I should have known better and listened to you. ha

Sounds like a plan!

It is a great experience, you will enjoy it.

We will be in SJU for a few days after our Summit cruise that ends on Saturday, April 30. We are thinking of taking the Rain Forest/Biobay combo tour on that day. I understand the tour leaves from the SJU hotel areas around 11am and returns late. My question is, are we better off reserving ahead of time directly with Kayaking Puerto Rico, or should we ask our concierge at the Coral Princess Inn to make arrangements? All of this assuming that we can be off the ship and to the hotel by 11, which seems doable. I imagine if our room is not ready we can leave our bags with the hotel and just take off. The tour looks pretty cool and Saturday would be our only chance as we fly out Monday afternoon. Your advice and ideas are appreciated!

We will be in SJU for a few days after our Summit cruise that ends on Saturday, April 30. We are thinking of taking the Rain Forest/Biobay combo tour on that day. I understand the tour leaves from the SJU hotel areas around 11am and returns late. My question is, are we better off reserving ahead of time directly with Kayaking Puerto Rico, or should we ask our concierge at the Coral Princess Inn to make arrangements? All of this assuming that we can be off the ship and to the hotel by 11, which seems doable. I imagine if our room is not ready we can leave our bags with the hotel and just take off. The tour looks pretty cool and Saturday would be our only chance as we fly out Monday afternoon. Your advice and ideas are appreciated!

We reserved ahead of time directly with Kayaking Puerto Rico and it went real smooth, they called to let us know what time they would pick us up at the hotel. If you wait, they might be booked up for that day. We were picked up in Old San Juan between 11:00 & 11:30am and got back around 10:30pm. At the rainforest you hike down to a waterfall where you can get in the water. Between the the rainforest and biobay we stopped for a no host lunch / dinner.

They have a web site you can go to and e-mail them with questions.

We just wore our swimsuit the entire day, at the rainforest, you could need a light poncho in case of rain and a towel if you get into the water, a camera and a bottle of water to drink. At the biobay you won't need your camera, it will be too dark and the pictures won't turn out. This tour does not allow you to swim in the biobay, just at the rainforest waterfall. We did our tour 10/30/10 and had a great time.

I will check to see if they also make pick ups at hotels in the Condado area. That would be my preference, so we can go to our hotel right from the ship to handle check-in and drop our stuff, and then everything will be set when we get back (late!) from the tour.

I am kind of debating the wisdom of planning a long touring day right off the ship, but our last cruise day is "at sea", so theoretically, we'll be well-rested! We will also have one more day in San Juan to "recover" before we head home, so we should be OK.

I believe that during our visit the moon will be in a good phase, which I'm told enhances the luminescence...

Thanks for the info!

• 2 weeks later...

I was working in PR for 5 months and really got to know the area. We did the biobay out of Fajardo and it was good but nothing in comparison to the one on Vieques through East Wind Tours. The one out of Fajardo is a narrow way through the mangroves and almost became like bumper kayaks with all the companies going out and back at the same time. It was interesting and the tour guides were great . . . but if you have the time, do the one with East Winds to Vieques. It was a blast and made the one out of Fajardo seem meaningless. You have to do the evening tour--it is so worth it! I think if I ever return to PR I would definitely go to Vieques--what a beautiful gem. Much better infrastructure, good roads and appeared to be a beautiful island.

We also did East Wind tours for the Culebra snorkeling tour and that, too, was sensational. Beaches are gorgeous.

We went on the Bio Bay excursion in Vieques. This was an amazing and unique experience for our family. This experience is offered through East Island Excursions. They are the only tour company which offers the Bioluminiescent Bay tour from the mainland without having to stay overnight on the island of Vieques. We rented a car and drove from San Juan to the Puerto Del Ray Marina in Fajardo (this is where this tour commences). If you don`t want to drive, East Island Excursions also offers pick up from your hotel (at an extra cost).

We are planning to do the same. Is it fairly easy to navigate from SJU to the marina? Do you recommend GPS and/or map rental/purchase?

CBFaulkner

You need to make sure your GPS will work in PR (some don't). We found it easier to drive (if you had a car) since the shuttles from the hotels stopped at many and it really took a lot longer to get home. Generally it should be around 45 minutes with little traffic to get to the marina. The tour companies usually provide you an address or GPS coordinates to help. Google maps, too.

A fabulous experience for all in Vieques.

• 2 weeks later...

Mrar,

My boyfriend and I will also be on your cruise! We are celebrating our one year anniversary and my birthday (the big 3-0). Our main interest in Puerto Rico is the bio bay. Are you planning your excursion pre or post cruise? We were looking into going on Saturday Feb 12 precruise, but would be open to either if we could find a company that operates the Sunday we get back. We are staying at the Sheraton in San Juan. Most of the tour companies we have looked into will provide transportation, but they require a 6 person minimum for pick up. I am nervous that they will charge my credit card for the excursion and then not pick us up and we will miss out. Do you want to try to get a 6 person group together with me?

Jrzygurl, we have actually decided to rent a car as it's only around $20 a day. I think we will be doing it on the 12th through east wind excursions but we haven't made our reservation yet.

Unfortunately, EastWindCats said they were not doing a tour on Feb. 12 :(. We are staying at a B&B in the rainforest, paragliding in the morning, but I don't know what to do in the afternoon/evening now. Thought about trying another company and doing a kayak in Fajardo, but if one company isn't doing it, maybe it's not worth it that night even if another company is still running.

Archived