Adult/Children Ratio

Breezey

I recall years ago hearing that the cruise lines place limits on how many children per cruise. Is that right?

I think its actually limits placed on them by the Coast guard, don't think its necessarily children as occupants of cabins which of course could all be adults...

I have read comments on the Princess board about their limiting the amount of children (under 18s) on a sailing, i.e. people haven't been allowed to book as the number of kids is already capped. Of course, this cap is in the hundreds (think 800 or 900), so it does not actually limit the amount of kids onboard.

Or, you could be thinking of what Don suggests, which is the Coast Guard limit of people onboard due to lifeboat occupancy levels.

I'm not sure if there are limits but I do know that a couple of years ago we were on the Carnival Inspiration and they told us there were approx. 1200 children under the age of 19 on the ship. Carnival lists passenger capacity at 2052 (which my understanding is just double occupancy figures and could be higher).

I've never heard anyting about a limit on the number of children.

I have heard about overall limits on the number of occupants over 2 per room.

This was discussed in a recent thread where someone wanted to book 3 in a cabin on a holiday sailing. There were lots of cabins available for booking 2 in but they would not allow any more bookings of 3 or more per cabin as they'd already reached their capacity limit with the assumption that the remaining vacant cabins would be sold at 2 per cabin. This also happened to us several years back on an RCL holiday cruise where we were taking the kids with us.

Clearly I was dreaming and no wonder Celebrity laughed at my TA when she called to ask on my behalf. Hey, i have been on cruises with my own kids during winter break (years ago) and know there were tons but wasn't sure if they allow over 1/2 the cruise to be kids for example.

Guess it is my only concern with having booked a NZ cruise over winter break 2011 to celebrate our 35th. Oh well, balcony looks more appealing now if necessary.

We just sailed on the Navigator... 5 day cruise that returned on Thanksgiving Day. We met a nice staff member in the library before the cabins were available the first day. We were there with our 7 year old son. She mentioned that there were going to be 900 kids on this sailing! I was shocked! We later saw her working in Adventure Ocean so she must have been told to prepare!!!

My son was in the 6-8 group. Lots of kids but I realized the majority of these 900 kids were probably 10 and older. They were ALL OVER the ship! But it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The buffet was crazy busy at night!

The funniest thing I saw was a teenager the morning we left the ship. He took a large plate and covered it with bacon.... then proceeded to pour syrup all over it. He said "this is the last day I can get away with it!!!" I could not believe he was going to eat that!

Archived