Poesia Review......

IwannaGo Now

Hi I wannago. I just read your review and it seems fair and balanced to me. I have read many reviews of the Poesia and MSC as I research for our upcoming B2B, having no prior experience with MSC. If I am reading your review correctly, the Poesia sounds like a typical cruiseship - meaning room for improvement, but acceptable. Thanks for taking time to write your review. I do have a question. You mentioned dining at the buffet restaurant most of the second week. Is it open for the evening meal? I've run across a lot of contradicting info while trying to find an answer to this question. Everything from, it is closed for evening meals, to it is open for eveining meals, that the buffet is closed but the pizzaria and grill are open.

I've read a LOT of negative comments about the food on this ship, as well as a handful of over the top praises for it. Reading between the lines, and taking into account the highly personal nature of food preference, I've come to the conclusion that most find the food to be bland. Could this be because what we Americans call Italian food is different from authentic Italian food? I can live with less herbs and spices if that is the only problem.

We are appraoching this cruise with an open mind and reasonable expectations. I've never been on a cruise, on any cruiseline, where there wasn't room for improvement in some areas. I expect the same on our upcoming cruise. We were on the Carnival Miracle in October when Hurricaine Tomas decided to gut our itinerary - still we kept a good attitude and had a great time. We plan on doing the same on this cruise.

Thanks for your help, and happy cruising!

Towel critter: There's Italian-American food and then there's Italian-Italian food. I think that's the main reason so many North American CC members complain about the food on board MSC ships. In Italy the chefs don't add much salt, pepper and other spices to Italian-Italian food causing the American-Canadian complaint of blandness. You can always add salt but once's it's in the sauce you can't take it out! I see lots of American posters saying "it's not Olive Garden" but it was a long while before I figured out that Olive Garden is a chain of Italian restaurants in the States. I doubt I'd enjoy the experience!

Also, the MSC cruises from American ports (Caribbean) are different from what we have over here, because they try to cater to American tastes (and not just the food) with lots of freebe's and perks that you don't get with the European/African itineraries.

Towel critter: There's Italian-American food and then there's Italian-Italian food. I think that's the main reason so many North American CC members complain about the food on board MSC ships. In Italy the chefs don't add much salt, pepper and other spices to Italian-Italian food causing the American-Canadian complaint of blandness. You can always add salt but once's it's in the sauce you can't take it out! I see lots of American posters saying "it's not Olive Garden" but it was a long while before I figured out that Olive Garden is a chain of Italian restaurants in the States. I doubt I'd enjoy the experience!

Also, the MSC cruises from American ports (Caribbean) are different from what we have over here, because they try to cater to American tastes (and not just the food) with lots of freebe's and perks that you don't get with the European/African itineraries.

Thank you for your reply. I understand your point about American-Italian food versus Italian food. In fact, that was the point I was trying to make. I have had both varieties, and enjoy both, so I don't anticipate a problem. I think a lot of people who write scathing reviews on food simply do not take personal tastes into consideration. One has to know how to "interpret" customer reviews. Especially since it seems that most people who take the time to write a review do so because they have an agenda. Information may still be garnered from these types of reviews, but it does take some effort. Thanks again and happy cruising to you!

My B2B Poesia of Nov 14-28 was just posted in the review section......for anybody that wants a truly impartial review, and my opinions. Feel free to ask any questions....I'll try to answer them.

Come on now, you are as impartial as the rest of us, of course your review is partial to your tastes, interests and concerns!

There is NO impartial review!

\I do have a question. You mentioned dining at the buffet restaurant most of the second week. Is it open for the evening meal? I've run across a lot of contradicting info while trying to find an answer to this question. Everything from, it is closed for evening meals, to it is open for eveining meals, that the buffet is closed but the pizzaria and grill are open.

The buffet is open in the evenings, except for gala night, of which there are 2 a week.:)

\I do have a question. You mentioned dining at the buffet restaurant most of the second week. Is it open for the evening meal? I've run across a lot of contradicting info while trying to find an answer to this question. Everything from, it is closed for evening meals, to it is open for eveining meals, that the buffet is closed but the pizzaria and grill are open.

The buffet is open in the evenings, except for gala night, of which there are 2 a week.:)

Thank you, Mamasue! We'll probably go the Gala dinners the first week, and maybe try the pizza on those nights in week two. Unless the cuisine proves too good to pass up. Hope springs eternal!

That's the thing I really wonder about. If/when Italians come to visit the US, what do they think of our "Italian" food? Especially I wonder if they would like Chicago deep dish pizza (or stuffed pizza, or stuffed crust pizza) ...

Here's an Olive Garden menu for you ;)

http://www.olivegarden.com/menus/

I haven't gone to an Italian restaurant in the States for decades. Aside from one or two in New York which were fairly authentic back in the 70's, all the others cater to American tastes and the American concept of Italian food. I always recall our Italian-American neighbor back in Ohio preparing Sunday spaghetti and meatballs, then when I went to Italy I was surprised to find that spaghetti and meatballs doesn't exist on Italian menus. And as for pizza, this is a very regional dish with northern Italian pizza coming with a very thin crust, Neapolitan with a medium crust, and Sicilian with a thick crust. Most Americans prefer the Pizza-Hut varities which of course aren't usually found in Italian pizzerias.

I haven't gone to an Italian restaurant in the States for decades. Aside from one or two in New York which were fairly authentic back in the 70's, all the others cater to American tastes and the American concept of Italian food. I always recall our Italian-American neighbor back in Ohio preparing Sunday spaghetti and meatballs, then when I went to Italy I was surprised to find that spaghetti and meatballs doesn't exist on Italian menus. And as for pizza, this is a very regional dish with northern Italian pizza coming with a very thin crust, Neapolitan with a medium crust, and Sicilian with a thick crust. Most Americans prefer the Pizza-Hut varities which of course aren't usually found in Italian pizzerias.

My favorite, you should try it next time you are in NYC!

http://www.grimaldis.com/2/Index.htm

I don't remember an Italian night. The front of the "dailies" tells you the "Dress of the day suggestion"....I think they had a Tropical night, I think the rest were formal, and casual.

As for the food.....taste is obviously subjective. I've never been to Italy, so can't compare the food to "authentic Italian". I do know that, to me, the food was bland, and without spices....compared to dishes that I have had at restaurants, and other cruise lines... and I don't like to salt my food.....just salt isn't going to improve the flavor of what was served, in most cases.....again, this was my opinion, and that of a lot of passengers I talked to.

I used to live in New Jersey and Italian food prepared by real Italians was in abundance. It was delicious.

However if you order Spaghetti with tomato sauce expect it to be "VERY" bland. If you want spice be sure to specify Spaghetti with Maranara!

Archived