El Pueblo del Chicharron

Megalodon

Has anyone ever visited El Pueblo del Chicharron (aka Fried Pork Skin City)? If so, any advice on how to get there from the cruise ship port? Will a cab driver know how to get there? Are there guides you can hire that will take you there?

Are restaurants and vendors open Sundays? If so, any recommendations on where to get the best meal or meals? :D

Anthony Bourdain, Andrew Zimmerman and Samantha Brown from the Travel Channel all visited this street and the food looked so amazing!

Thanks,

Meg

El pueblo del chicharrón is just a name given to Bayamón, a town next to San Juan. It has nothing that could be attractive to tourists, sorry to say :o . I think Bourdain ate somewhere near the main plaza. If you want to try chicharrón (which is decadent, 100% fat but tasty as all get out :D) there's a cart on Paseo de la Princesa, near the piers in Old San Juan, that sells authentic chicharrón and a special sweet bread that goes well with it. And eat at any of the restaurants in SJ that are well recommended on these boards (I'm a local so I can't name any, but there are lots of good reviews here!).

Has anyone ever visited El Pueblo del Chicharron (aka Fried Pork Skin City)? If so, any advice on how to get there from the cruise ship port? Will a cab driver know how to get there? Are there guides you can hire that will take you there?

Are restaurants and vendors open Sundays? If so, any recommendations on where to get the best meal or meals? :D

Anthony Bourdain, Andrew Zimmerman and Samantha Brown from the Travel Channel all visited this street and the food looked so amazing!

Thanks, Meg

The only pork place that all 3 of these TV hosts visited is Guavate. It is THE pork place. It is about 45 mins, maybe 1 hr south of SJ. It is very active on Sundays. No reservations, you just show up and eat and dance etc.

I would say most drivers know how to get there. I am sure you can find a private guide to go there, but it won't be cheap. Contact a couple tour operators and ask. I know there is one guide that runs a larger bus tour to Guavate during the holiday season. Forget the taxi - it would be at least $75 each way, plus waiting time.

• 2 weeks later...
The only pork place...Guavate...It is THE pork place. It is about 45 mins, maybe 1 hr south of SJ. It is very active on Sundays...

Our Ship pulls in on a Sunday, but 4:30pm!

I hear all the pork is pretty much gone and things have wound down by 6pm.

Unless you say that isn't the case, is there anywhere that offers roast pig at all? anywhere? if not, maybe a good restaurant? Maybe something else you can suggest for an arrival at that time? any wild ideas?

Our Ship pulls in on a Sunday, but 4:30pm!

I hear all the pork is pretty much gone and things have wound down by 6pm.

Unless you say that isn't the case, is there anywhere that offers roast pig at all? anywhere? if not, maybe a good restaurant? Maybe something else you can suggest for an arrival at that time? any wild ideas?

There's a fairly new place in OSJ that serves lechón (roast pork) with a side of salsa -- the music :D not the condiment. I can't name names, but if you read the restaurant threads on this board you'll find it. You'll also find lots of threads discussing things to do when you arrive that late. HTH and hope you enjoy your visit to PR! :)

There's a fairly new place in OSJ that serves lechón (roast pork) with a side of salsa -- the music :D not the condiment. I can't name names, but if you read the restaurant threads on this board you'll find it. You'll also find lots of threads discussing things to do when you arrive that late. HTH and hope you enjoy your visit to PR! :)

Any liquor stores in Old San Juan?

The only pork place that all 3 of these TV hosts visited is Guavate. It is THE pork place. It is about 45 mins, maybe 1 hr south of SJ. It is very active on Sundays. No reservations, you just show up and eat and dance etc.

I would say most drivers know how to get there. I am sure you can find a private guide to go there, but it won't be cheap. Contact a couple tour operators and ask. I know there is one guide that runs a larger bus tour to Guavate during the holiday season. Forget the taxi - it would be at least $75 each way, plus waiting time.

Guavate is the best place to eat Lechón (Pork) but in Bayamón you find the dry pork skin which is called Chicharón and it is served as a big potato chip

chicharron.jpg

Archived