Alaska airfare prices?

jauyeung

Yesterday I found a decent YVR - LAX price on Alaska Air for the return trip after our May 2011 cruise, so I booked that for our family of 4, taking advantage of a $75/person credit that was about to expire. We had to book directly with Alaska to get the credit.

Now I'm watching prices on LAX - YVR flights -- perhaps I'll go with a different airline. Right now if I booked Westjet for the LAX - YVR segment, the total trip would be cheaper than round trip with Alaska. Still, prices seem to be stuck pretty high for this segment, and so I'm waiting and hoping they'll go down.

I guess Expedia, Orbitz, and similar sites allow you to mix and match airlines (not just code share flights) to get the best combination in price and schedule--it might be worth a look.

Another price consideration is baggage fees, which can really add up for a family. Among airlines I was looking at, Westjet and Air Canada don't seem to charge for the first bag.

Also just an option..Alaska Air is one of the few airlines that if you arrive at the airport early and ask if available you can upgrade to first class day of travel..We flew first class from ANC-LAX for an additional $100.00pp and was it a bargin..great seats/meals/entertainment...;)

Archived