Sheraton/Nassau

going to see the world

I'm trying to get our plans figured out for our upcoming cruise :D

I was wondering about a taxi from the port to the Sheraton.

Can anyone tell me how far we'd have to walk to get a taxi to pick us up and where exactly it would drop us off at the Sheraton?

I'm trying to keep walking limited since my mother has a bad back.

Thanks! :)

I'm trying to get our plans figured out for our upcoming cruise :D

I was wondering about a taxi from the port to the Sheraton.

Can anyone tell me how far we'd have to walk to get a taxi to pick us up and where exactly it would drop us off at the Sheraton?

I'm trying to keep walking limited since my mother has a bad back.

Thanks! :)

I cannot provide information about a taxi

However if your mother can walk about a quarter to a half mile you may be interested in the jitnet (public buses). The are 1.25 pp per trip and it drops you off right in front of the Sheraton.

When you get out of the pier terminal area (by the horses and moped rentals) you would need to take a right. Walk along the harbor until you can't anymore (by Senor Frogs) there you will be able to go left. You will leave a pedestrian only area, and take the first vehicle road to the left. The first right will be the bus stop. Get on the #10 and asked to be dropped off at the Sheraton. Like I said it is about a quarter mile from pier terminal to the bus stop. It is all paved and there are no hills to walk.

When you are done for the day, there is a jitney stop just outside the Sheraton property (between the Wyndham and Sheraton). We waited 6 or so minutes on a Sunday for a Jitney to pick us up. The confirmed we wanted to be dropped off at the same place we were picked up.

Its a very cheap and easy system to use. You will need exact change as they do not give change back, but they do accept tips.

I also recommend taking the jitney bus. It is literally the cheapest way, and it's not far at all from port. As a matter of fact, you'd still have to walk just about as far to get a taxi.

We went to the Sheraton last year, and the bus stop is right out front, and we maybe waited 5-10 minutes for the next bus. It was very convenient.

I would say the step would be like stepping into a full size van, or a conversion van. It's not anything more then a normal stair. I had knee surgery a couple of months prior to my cruise, and had difficulty walking a flight of stairs at the time, and I had not problems getting into the jitney. Hope that help!

I would say the step would be like stepping into a full size van, or a conversion van. It's not anything more then a normal stair. I had knee surgery a couple of months prior to my cruise, and had difficulty walking a flight of stairs at the time, and I had not problems getting into the jitney. Hope that help!

Oh, that doesn't sound bad at all. Thank you so much!

I cannot provide information about a taxi

However if your mother can walk about a quarter to a half mile you may be interested in the jitnet (public buses). The are 1.25 pp per trip and it drops you off right in front of the Sheraton.

When you get out of the pier terminal area (by the horses and moped rentals) you would need to take a right. Walk along the harbor until you can't anymore (by Senor Frogs) there you will be able to go left. You will leave a pedestrian only area, and take the first vehicle road to the left. The first right will be the bus stop. Get on the #10 and asked to be dropped off at the Sheraton. Like I said it is about a quarter mile from pier terminal to the bus stop. It is all paved and there are no hills to walk.

When you are done for the day, there is a jitney stop just outside the Sheraton property (between the Wyndham and Sheraton). We waited 6 or so minutes on a Sunday for a Jitney to pick us up. The confirmed we wanted to be dropped off at the same place we were picked up.

Its a very cheap and easy system to use. You will need exact change as they do not give change back, but they do accept tips.

Thanks! This sounds like much more fun than just taking a taxi.

Thank you Turtles06!

That doesn't look bad at all...most definitely can deal with that. :)

My pleasure. BTW, to get to the Sheraton when the jitney drops you off, you have to cross the road, then walk up the driveway of the hotel, which is a slight incline. Just wanted to be sure you and your Mom know. You catch the return jitney at the foot of the driveway (don't cross the road).

Also, if you do decide to take the jitney out to the Sheraton, and the straw market at the pier is open when you get off your ship in the morning, you can walk thru it to reach the jitney on the other side (no need to walk all the way down to Senor Frogs and then hang that left and then walk down to the next intersection).

Have a great time. We enjoyed our day at the Sheraton in October.

Thanks for that pic! The word jitney makes me think of some bus you'd find in Cuba or Africa but that Toyota bus looks quite nice. I'll be using one this February!

LOL! It was nicer on the outside than on the inside, but we were quite glad we took it. Gave us a little bit of local culture, and really not much more hassle than taking a cab. (And a ton cheaper.)

Have a great trip!

Were they really packed when you went on them?

Our ship docked in Nassau at 8am, so it was morning "rush hour" when we took the jitney out to the Sheraton (maybe around 9am). It was pretty empty when we got on and and we had seats. As we went along, we picked up a lot of folks heading to their jobs at the hotels. And when we came back in the mid-afternoon, it wasn't at all crowded.

just got back from doing the Sheraton and the longest walk would be from the dock to where the Jitney picks up across the street from the Straw Market and then they drop you off across the road from the Sheraton--this is a much shorter walk--actually not directly across as you do cross over the street and walk back to the Sheraton-not to far tho and then on the way back they pick you up on that side of the street-

we were there on a Sunday so it wasnt really crowded on the Jitney...more people on the way back from the Sheraton!

contrary to what is posted you dont have to have exact change either $1.25...i saw them giving back change or some just handed them $2 and told them to keep the change.

contrary to what is posted you dont have to have exact change either $1.25...i saw them giving back change or some just handed them $2 and told them to keep the change.

That is very rare they give change...always make sure you have the amount you are willing to give for your ride, as most drivers will not give change.

Archived