Dining on a QM2 Cruise

cf2404

My husband and I are thinking about the 6 day Trans Atlantic cruise from NY-Southampton and are wondering about the dining arrangements. If we are in a cabin grade that puts us in the Britannia Dining Room, will we get a table for 2 reserved every night or is there a possibility that we may have to share a larger table with other passengers. This would be our worst nightmare(!) and would definitely spoil our holiday if we had to share. Any info please?

• 3 weeks later...

I have to add to this post as I have been reading so much about the wonderful Queens Grill suites/restaurant, and all it has to offer for food selections. I am sure it is everything everyone says it is and more. There were some evenings we didn't like anything on the menu in Britannia and had the opportunity to order other selections. Our waiters/waitresses went out of their way to make us happy. It was just a matter of "asking" versus being "offered". I found if you just spoke up and asked, you got whatever you wanted. Another couple at our table ordered a special meal every evening, and with no advance notice, and were served as quickly as the rest. Also, we were served as we were seated, not all at the same time, as we all showed up at different times throughout the specified time. We had three people waiting on us and the service was excellent. If it had been slow, we wouldn't have cared, as being on the QM2, being on vacation, we had nothing pressing to rush to anyway, but that's us. If I ordered a drink, the next one was on it's way before I took the first sip, and I didn't even have to ask. There are so many more people in Britannia, and it is hussle and bussle, a far cry from Queens Grill I'm reading, but I guess I just wanted to let those who will be dining in Britannia to know.......just ask. You do not have to order only what is on the menu. I can't say the same about breakfast or lunch as I don't know. Our room service menu was limited, but again, when we "asked" for different selections, we were given other choices. One more thing, if you don't happen to get a table for two and do not like who you are sitting with, they will change your table UNTIL you are happy, even if it is every night. We met up with a couple who got a different table every evening. JUST ASK.

I thought, for the most part the Brittania was so bad, I only ate there 2 evenings. I also had one lunch there, equally as bad.

It started when I booked the cruise 3 months in advance, and asked for a 6:00 pm seating, but was assigned a 9:00 pm. I asked to change it, but was told that was not possible, due to too many at the 6:00 already. Request denied.

I then showed up at the 9:00, ate, and was totally unable to sleep with a meal that rich and heavy in my stomach. So, since I am pretty sure you get at least $30 added to the price of your cruise for the fancier meals I asked if I could have the nicer food in the Brittania to go, and eat in my room, or by the pool. Another request denied.

On the second day, since we had the lousiest table in the place, in the back of the third tier overlooking the kitchen, and 2/3 of the dinners did not show up, I asked if I could change tables, so I could at least see the center part of the dining room, where all the intersting scenery is. Another request denied.

For the lunch I had the QM2 club sandwich, supposedly their specialty, but appears to be a way to reuse cold breakfast eggs and bacon ... totally inedible. So we asked for cappucino. Our waiter dissappeared for 30 minutes. The dinning room super came over and asked if we needed anything, and we reordered it, and finally got it.

After that, I ate the rest of the cruise dinners in the food court, which is not bad.

However, at the end of the cruise, I stopped by the Pursers office, and asked to have the gratuity removed from my shipboard account, explained why on the form they ask you to fill out, and redistributed the gratuity as I wished.

I have heard from many friends about the same type of negative experiences in the Princess and Queens Grill Restaurants. It all depends on the time and place. My sole point was to get across that the Britannia is a wonderful place to dine and you just have to be assertive enough to ask for what you want. We were very pleased, unfortunately you weren't, but no matter what "class", it can be pleasant or unpleasant. It's all what you make it.

• 2 weeks later...

LM1,

Do you know if those in the Britainica have the same 'right' to ask for changes to their food if its not what was expected (or desired)?

I'm all for being assertive ... but I wonder if there is a la carte in Britanica too

YvonnE

One evening in the britannia I opted for a spa dessert- a sugar free mango tart- it was horrid!! My waiter was more than happy to bring me a cointreau creme brulee as I said the trat was so horrible!! I need my sugar!! Our main waiter Freddie and michael were both fantastic and couldn't do enough for us- even had two portions on the lobster- cant hurt to ask!!! We were really impressed with every meal in the britannia!

One evening in the britannia I opted for a spa dessert- a sugar free mango tart- it was horrid!! My waiter was more than happy to bring me a cointreau creme brulee as I said the trat was so horrible!! I need my sugar!! Our main waiter Freddie and michael were both fantastic and couldn't do enough for us- even had two portions on the lobster- cant hurt to ask!!! We were really impressed with every meal in the britannia!

Bonni, Bonni, Bonni!! What were you thinking!!?! Its all about indulgance on these trips! Sugar-free, indeed! I think the trick is to diet BEFORE the trip, certainly not during... (which is not to say that I shouldn't be dieting then too...but...)

Good to hear that they were kind about swapping food !

Archived