Port Chalmers to Dunedin railway - how long?

Vincenta

:confused: We are waitlisted on the Princess Diamond tour to Taieri Gorge and were thinking of doing the independent one by the railway but we would have to get off the ship early to take a cab to get to the train station by at least 9.00 to get on the train. Does Princess have any policy regarding disembarking early if you are not on one of their tours? How long is the taxi ride... I know it costs $50 one way but do not know how much time to allow to get to the railway. Thanks again for any help as I feel am feeling really disappointed if I cannot do this trip.

It's about 15 - 20 minutes. Can't answer the question about Princess, but with HAL it was no problem. We were the second couple off the ship, found a cab with another couple ($40 NZD total) and were soon at the train station.

When we were in Auckland at the ferry terminal, we picked up a magazine - I believe it called Arrive - and in it, there was a 10% off coupon for two for the train, plus other coupons. And, we did use it. The trip cost us $124 USD for the two of us, plus cab fare of $10 NZD each to the station and $10.50 NZD back to the ship.

It's hard to justify the ship's tour at those prices IMHO!

Thank you.... my DH is worried about not getting off the ship early enough to make the departure time but 20 mins to the station is about what I thought it might take and we will give ourselves enough time to go pick up our tickets.

It is amazing how much we learn from all of the CC's on just about every topic - thank you for sharing.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been to Dunedin twice, the first time, the independent train people missed their train due to a late arrival and delayed clearance. The second time, I actually booked this tour with them, no deposit was needed and easily made the train at a fraction of the cost.

There is a city bus that you can take, actually is "express" since there are no stops until in town. And if you are in port early enough, a cheap option. Otherwise there is a cab line right outside the gate. Upon the return, when you have the time, the bus is again the cheapest option. Bus stop is across from the Cadbury gift shop/tour, next to the grocery store.

Archived