Queens Grill Service

twinkletoes915

Our 4/22 transatlantic crossing will be our first time on QM2. Can anyone tell us what we should know ahead of time about Queens Grill service? Our travel agent made our dinner request, and I just got the # for the spa on these boards. What duties does the Butler perform?

Thank you so much in advance. I have gotten so much information on these boards, and I really appreciate it!

Our 4/22 transatlantic crossing will be our first time on QM2. Can anyone tell us what we should know ahead of time about Queens Grill service? Our travel agent made our dinner request, and I just got the # for the spa on these boards. What duties does the Butler perform?

Thank you so much in advance. I have gotten so much information on these boards, and I really appreciate it!

The butler does what you want. He will bring in your request on time. When you first arrive he will great you. Then he will ask what kind of liquor you like. I told him not much, but, that I liked Johnny Walker Black Label and Bailey's Iris Cream. He came back with a large bottle of both. You have fresh flowers and fruit in your room at all times.

In the Queen's Grill you will find that most every man will wear a tie and jacket even on casual nights. There are three waiters that will serve you at your table. They serve from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.. You will sit at the same table every day. No set time to show up. When you get to your table they start serving you regardless if anyone of the others assigned to your table is at the table. Great experience. Like going to a five star retraurant every night. By the way, make sure you look at the Ala Carte Menu. It is on the second section of the menu they give you. Much, much more to chose from for dinner.

Go to the Queen's Grill Lounge for tea between 3:30 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. Make sure you have scones and heavy cream. Out of this world.

• 3 weeks later...

As an added bit of information: Although hard to imagine, if there is nothing on either the main dinner menu or the a la carte menu (as mentioned it is behind the main dinner menu) that appeals to you, you can request a special order. On our voyage of 2/26/05, the Maitre d', Raoul, prepared "steak tartare" for one of my tablemates and on another evening he was preparing beef stroganoff for another table. Also, whenever I ordered the Black Angus Filet from the a la carte menu, Enrico, the Assistant Maitre d', prepared it right at tableside.

Enjoy the experiences. Every meal is a true delight! Don't forget your camera to capture some of the awesome presentions -- especially the desserts!!

Raoul is great. He prepared my Dover Sole and presented it like any 5 star restaurant in New York or Chicago.

The service is outstanding. There are three waiters that will be at your beck and call.

The Ala Carte menue is outstanding. Make sure you take a look at it because it is on the second page of the menu.

The men usually wore a sport coat and tie even on casual nights. The ladies were always fairly well dressed every night.

You will have a wonderful time eating in the Queen's Grill.

Give Raoul my best regards. Tell him it was a person who is 6'6" that was on the Carribbean cruise on Feb 12.

This sounds great, but I have a few questions. We were upgraded from a "p" to "q" on deck 9 - does the queens level have a balcony and are there king or twin beds? Also if the kids (17 and 12) want to dine quickly and more informally one or two nights, is there an informal place? As I sit here in NYC at 6PM on St Patty's day, the QM2 is sailing down the Hudson on its last trip before we sail. I can hardly wait.

Travelgals, I can help on this one too! We have 2 boys 5 and 7 and most of the evenings we dropped them off at the kids zone and then had dinner. They usually did join us for breakfast and sometimes lunch in the QG but only had one dinner there. Your kids can order dinner from your butler or can go to the kings court. Even though you may think yours are too old for the kids club you may be surprised that there are even planned activities for teenagers and the staff is pretty young and with it. For instance I know that they would take the older kids to the g32 nightclub or to the shows at night.

As far as the dinner in the QG goes it is excellent but it does lack some of the "tradition" of dinner in the QG on the QE2. Raoul was the only member of the staff who I knew from QE2 and dinner was just a bit more ordinary than what I feel you get on QE2. Anyway, it's the best thing going on the ship and is, all in all, a truly first class experience. The staterooms are very nice and modern but again I think that the original suites on QE2 (now grade Q3) are the nicest afloat even though they don't have the all important balcony. There is no replacing the workmanship and quality of the wood walls and ceilings.....

Thanks Stratton, you are a wealth of information. We'll try the kids club, it sounds like it will help them to meet others, especially on such a big ship--I guess I'll meet them (or at least the older one) in Q32, disco night-because that's where I'll be! He'll be mortified.

This sounds great, but I have a few questions. We were upgraded from a "p" to "q" on deck 9 - does the queens level have a balcony and are there king or twin beds? Also if the kids (17 and 12) want to dine quickly and more informally one or two nights, is there an informal place? As I sit here in NYC at 6PM on St Patty's day, the QM2 is sailing down the Hudson on its last trip before we sail. I can hardly wait.

In fact, you have two doors to your fery long balcony. Yes, there is a king size bed and a full size couch that opens to a bed. You can have the kids eat in the King's Court. The dress code in the Queen's Grill is pretty formal even on informatl nights. Most men will have a sport and tie on even on casual nights.

Enjoy the fantastic food and service in the Queen's Grill. By the way, if the kids want hamburgers in the Queens Grill, they will provide them for them.

We were upgraded to Q. We had room 9048 with Nick as our butler. He was great as I am sure all of the butler's are on the QM2. ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived