Grossly inadequate compensation

paulred

I disagree about "man made foreseeable situation". Sorry, the ones that would even know to any degree of certainity would be the experienced repair people from the ENGINE & WIRING companies and not the maintenance people on board. As I have stated, there is-- 95% percent of the time-- additional damage done by a fire not seen by the naked eye until the demolition begins.

"If previously booked on a Carnival Splendor sailing scheduled to depart 11/14/10 – 1/09/11, you may select from options 1, 2 or 3 AND receive an On Board Credit of $200 per cabin when rebooking any future Carnival cruise."

This statement on the website says nothing about being for those rebooking twice. Your cruise was in the dates listed, I would call them back and make them honor this statement.

I just called again to see if I could talk to someone else, and they too are sticking to the "If you were on the original sailing and had to rebook twice, than you can get the $200.00 obc" crap, I wish everyone would call up and force the issue, cause that is not what their web site says.

Updated 12/15/2010:

Guests booked on the cancelled voyages will receive a refund or future cruise credit equal to the amount paid, along with reimbursement of air transportation-related change fees. Those who re-book may also receive a 25 percent future cruise discount and/or onboard credit depending on the ship and sailing date of the new booking. Additional details are available at carnival.com.

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/pdf/Splendor-Comp-Guidelines.pdf

Sounds fair to me. I would be upset that Carnival cancelled my cruise, but they are trying to make it right. What would be fair compensation? It seems like getting a refund is fair.

[quote name='mandms40']I just called again to see if I could talk to someone else, and they too are sticking to the "If you were on the original sailing and had to rebook twice, than you can get the $200.00 obc" crap, I wish everyone would call up and force the issue, cause that is not what their web site says.[/quote]

The web site is pretty clear that you only get the $200 if you had to rebook twice:rolleyes: And yes, I have been in your situation before. My first cruise was cancelled due to a fire on the ship the week prior. You are getting more than we did then. And yes, it was a Carnival ship.

[quote name='GeckoGirl'][FONT=HelveticaNeueLTStd-Roman][SIZE=2][FONT=HelveticaNeueLTStd-Roman][SIZE=2][LEFT]"If previously booked on a Carnival Splendor sailing scheduled to depart 11/14/[FONT=HelveticaNeueLTStd-Roman][SIZE=2][FONT=HelveticaNeueLTStd-Roman][SIZE=2]10 – 1/09/11, you may [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]select from options 1, 2 or 3 AND receive an On Board Credit of $200 per cabin when rebooking any future Carnival cruise."[/LEFT]

[LEFT]This statement on the website says nothing about being for those rebooking twice. Your cruise was in the dates listed, I would call them back and make them honor this statement.[/LEFT]
[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

This is from the announcement that states ADDITIONAL cruises are cancelled. It is telling people that are booked on the newly cancelled voyages what their options are. This notice is NOT to people that were on the originally cancelled voyages from 11/14-1/9.

[quote name='Chigirlcruzin']This is from the announcement that states ADDITIONAL cruises are cancelled. It is telling people that are booked on the newly cancelled voyages what their options are. This notice is NOT to people that were on the originally cancelled voyages from 11/14-1/9.[/quote]

Some of the people that are affected by the additional cancellations are people that rebooked from the initial cancellations, so it may affect them.
When I got off the ship and rebooked my cruise, I was able to get a higher category cabin on a more expensive sailing (found out it's spring break) for the same price, plus the $50 OBC added to the $100 OBC I already had from a FCC.
I also had a hotel reservation which I changed to the new sailing date. There are deals out there for non-refundable room rates, but for something like going on a cruise, I pay the few dollars more for a refundable rate just in case something happens like it did with the Splendor. Most hotels allow you to cancel up until the day or so of the reservation.
The only thing that concerned me with this latest cancellation was my MIL cabin. Since she doesn't travel alone, we rebooked her on a different cruise with us and were able to get her a much nicer cabin. I think it worked out well for both of us.
Carnival has been very good at taking care of everyone affected by this.

[quote name='ilovetheislands']Grossly inadequate compensation is a gross overstatement. They are refunding you money plus the cost of your airline change fee (up to $200?) You were inconvenienced, not injured.[/quote]

Read the whole thread. They are not refunding the airline fees. It's being given out as OBC if you book with Carnival again. The OP is upset because the cruise he's able to go on now is NOT with Carnival, therefor he's out that $200. And that is what is unfair.

[quote name='GeckoGirl'][FONT=HelveticaNeueLTStd-Roman][SIZE=2][FONT=HelveticaNeueLTStd-Roman][SIZE=2][LEFT]"If previously booked on a Carnival Splendor sailing scheduled to depart 11/14/[FONT=HelveticaNeueLTStd-Roman][SIZE=2][FONT=HelveticaNeueLTStd-Roman][SIZE=2]10 – 1/09/11, you may [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]select from options 1, 2 or 3 AND receive an On Board Credit of $200 per cabin when rebooking any future Carnival cruise."

This statement on the website says nothing about being for those rebooking twice. Your cruise was in the dates listed, I would call them back and make them honor this statement.[/LEFT]
[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

Yeah, that works ... if you selectively ignore the second bullet point. :rolleyes:

• If previously booked on a Carnival Splendor sailing scheduled to depart 11/14/10 – 1/09/11, you may select from options 1, 2 or 3 AND receive an On Board Credit of $200 per cabin when rebooking any future Carnival cruise
• All others ([B]not previously affected by another fire related cancellation[/B]) who select options 1 or 2 on a 7- day Carnival Splendor voyage departing between 2/20/11 - 5/22/11 OR a 7-day Carnival sailing departing between 1/15/11 – 2/13/11, will receive an On Board Credit of $50 per cabin

I even bolded the pertinent passage for you.

Also this compensation is directed to people affected by "Carnival Cruise Lines has cancelled additional departures of the Carnival Splendor including the January 16, 23, 30 and February 6 and 13, 2011, voyages to allow for additional repair time following an engine room fire aboard the vessel in November. "

[quote name='TheSailinSOB']How is that unfair? If he is going on another line than why should they hand him $200 bucks? If he were to rebook Carnival then he would get it. I don't get why people think thats unfair.[/quote]

Because Carnival doesn't offer a comparable 7-day cruise leaving from LA. You are forced to book something longer or shorter which will cost the customer in the end. Carnival is the one who can't fullfill their part, so why should the customer pay?

My friend and I are both out money with the airfare. I had to pay 101 dollars to get my one way ticket airmiles back, still out 58 in taxes on that one. My other ticket which I paid 248 was reimbursed but when I want to use that ticket a 75 dollar fee so out about 229 bucks can I afford it no Bythe way I did not book another cruise.

[quote name='ilovetheislands']Grossly inadequate compensation is a gross overstatement. They are refunding you money plus the cost of your airline change fee (up to $200?) You were inconvenienced, not injured.[/quote]

Since when does any company get credit for not supplying a service, and being nice enough to give you a refund. That is not compensation, that is the law! But ask yourself, if the shoe were on the other foot, would they give you a break on your final apyment? Not likely. Their offer for our taking the Spirit, with the 25% credit was off their brochure price. Their price for an oceanview was 750. each. The TA web site has the same cruise, new bookings for 485. The plane change fee is only valid if you re book another Carnival cruise.

Nuff said, I am moving on.

Paul

[quote name='paulred']Thanks for all the replies. There were a lot of different opinions on just what Carnival was offering. We booked MONTHS in advance, and we got a great deal for doing so. Carnival encourages lpeople to book early, and takes $500 deposit to do so. Then at final payment date, (November first) they take the rest. No interest paid. They have millions of dollars in their hands. They don't have to keep it aside, they can us it to fund their operations. I have a hard time understanding why people think it generous to give us a full refund. This is not negotiable. It would be fraud to keep the money. yet we have to ask for it, and wait ten days. This confirms they didn't keep the money in a trust fund, and if you do the numbers, its millions.

Yes we used Priceline or Hotwire. Anyone who does not for a one night stay is wasting money. Yes, I have trip insurance, but so does Carnival. Their fault, their insurance!

As to fault, how many other ship fires have you heard about lately. Ships of similar design are not going up in flames.

Yes, they give you a credit towards a new cruise. THEIR CRUISES!. And only carnival, not their associated cruise lines. But the credit is based on their brochure prices. Their offer to switch to the Spirit, with discount and OBC was less than what I could have purchased as a new cruiser on several online TAs. One result is Carnival does not have to honour the early booking rates that encourage people onto this cruise. Think of it, if you decide to go on another cruise in late February, there are much better offers out there for equally good cruises.

Mostly, I suppose I am upset that ANY re-imbursement is based on re booking with Carnival. Hal and Princess and Disney each had cruises that fit our time frame, but we would get nothing more than our money back. Note, its OUR money. Not Carnivals.
What did I expect? I was willingto book the 5 day cruise on Spirit. It fit our schedule so no air or hotel changes were necessary. But, it would cost us to go to and from San Diego, and spend two nights after in a hotel. Not only would they not recognize the extra expenses, but their rate on that cruise was MORE than what my TA was selling it for. Some compensation.

My agents are trying to get something more in keeping with the situation, but I am not optimistic.

Again, I sympathize to some degree with them. But their whole pricing and marketing encourages booking early, they have your money for a good amount of time (free)., and this was a man made, forseeable situation.

Paul[/quote]

All that you are entitled to is the money that you paid Carnival. Nothing more. If carnival chooses to give you anything additional that is generous of them. You bought trip insurance , USE it.

You are being [B][COLOR="Red"]GROSSLY OVERCOMPENSATED[/COLOR][/B] as it is.

[quote name='CRZCRAZY']Some of the people that are affected by the additional cancellations are people that rebooked from the initial cancellations, so it may affect them.
When I got off the ship and rebooked my cruise, I was able to get a higher category cabin on a more expensive sailing (found out it's spring break) for the same price, plus the $50 OBC added to the $100 OBC I already had from a FCC.
I also had a hotel reservation which I changed to the new sailing date. There are deals out there for non-refundable room rates, but for something like going on a cruise, I pay the few dollars more for a refundable rate just in case something happens like it did with the Splendor. Most hotels allow you to cancel up until the day or so of the reservation.
The only thing that concerned me with this latest cancellation was my MIL cabin. Since she doesn't travel alone, we rebooked her on a different cruise with us and were able to get her a much nicer cabin. I think it worked out well for both of us.
Carnival has been very good at taking care of everyone affected by this.[/quote]

Yes, of course, there are people affected twice. However, the poster that's complaining about not getting the $200 OBC was booked on the1/9 cruise. If the poster was booked on one of the newly cancelled cruises, the poster is entitled to the $200 OBC. If the poster just had the1/9 cruise booked (which seems to be the case based on the postings), the poster is not entitled to the OBC.

[quote name='Chigirlcruzin']Yes, of course, there are people affected twice. However, the poster that's complaining about not getting the $200 OBC was booked on the1/9 cruise. If the poster was booked on one of the newly cancelled cruises, the poster is entitled to the $200 OBC. If the poster just had the1/9 cruise booked (which seems to be the case based on the postings), the poster is not entitled to the OBC.[/quote]

The poster you are talking about was NOT booked on any other cruise. They were booked for Jan 9, 2011. They had not been affected orginally by the Splendor fire at all.

Their cruise for Jan 9, 2011 was cancelled since the needed repairs to the Splendor would not be completed by the estimated date.

[quote name='paulred']Since when does any company get credit for not supplying a service, and being nice enough to give you a refund. That is not compensation, that is the law! But ask yourself, if the shoe were on the other foot, would they give you a break on your final apyment? Not likely. Their offer for our taking the Spirit, with the 25% credit was off their brochure price. Their price for an oceanview was 750. each. The TA web site has the same cruise, new bookings for 485. The plane change fee is only valid if you re book another Carnival cruise.

Nuff said, I am moving on.

Paul[/QUOTE]

Your problem is that you're thinking this is a new booking, which it isn't - you had already booked and now you're changing the booking (I know - NOT your choice, but it still is). Additionally, TAs cannot charge less than Carnival - if the TA has that price for a new booking, then so does Carnival.

The 01/09 sailing was canceled after the initial fire - I know because we were booked for that date. When they canceled 8 cruises - ours being the last , we re-booked on what was to be her first post-fire cruise a week later - the 16th. We had to pay more ( a mere $25.00 ) but were given the Lido deck instead of our balcony guarantee. No mention of OBC then. After being canceled AGAIN we ( maybe foolishly ) re-booked her first post-fire sailing on Feb. 20th. This time they just transferred our booking across the board ( no additional fees ). After reading this post yesterday I called our travel agent and was notified that YES we have a $200 OBC :) I feel Carnival has worked with us well...... *if* Splendor truly does sail on the 20th.

[quote name='Crusing Nut']The poster you are talking about was NOT booked on any other cruise. They were booked for Jan 9, 2011. They had not been affected orginally by the Splendor fire at all.

Their cruise for Jan 9, 2011 was cancelled since the needed repairs to the Splendor would not be completed by the estimated date.[/quote]

That's what I thought...the poster is reading what he/she wants to read, and isn't looking at the next part of the statement. This poster is NOT entitled to $200 OBC.

[quote name='Crusing Nut']I disagree about "man made foreseeable situation". Sorry, the ones that would even know to any degree of certainity would be the experienced repair people from the ENGINE & WIRING companies and not the maintenance people on board. As I have stated, there is-- 95% percent of the time-- additional damage done by a fire not seen by the naked eye until the demolition begins.[/quote]

He was right that it was man made. I agree until it is completely taken apart you will not know all the damage, that is precisely why Carnival should have not been rebooking cruises until THEY knew the damage. Shame on Carnival , rebooking cruises (that they now cancelled) before knowing how much damage was actually done.:mad:

I just gotta say..... I'm glad I wasn't on the ship when it was stranded at sea -or- affected by the subsequent cancellations..... I'm sure it has been a nightmare for all of those who have been denied the vacation they had planned and in many cases there will be expenses that they feel should be picked up by Carnival..... However, from everything I have read, I really believe Carnival has gone above and beyond to make sure this is handled in a fair and professional manner.

I want to point out that I am not a Carnival employee or funnel fanatic...... In fact my last Carnival cruise made me feel I would like to look at other alternatives for our next vacation. Not an overall bad experience; Just not enough to make me a Carnival lifer. The way they have handled the Splendor situation has certainly scored points in my book. They are not going to please everyone and if they did, they would put themselves out of business in the process.

Happy sailing!

The information re price protection, OBC, etc. was the statement issued following the announcement of the SECOND set of cancellations. We were scheduled on 12/12 Splendor, cancelled, offered 25% discount, used it to rebook 1/30 Splendor (being hopeful) and went from OV to Spa balcony room with no extra cost because of discount. Hotel alllowed us to change, no fees, when discussed with them. Then 1/30 cancelled, they sent us the letter stating the new terms which the OP has posted. We now picked 3/13 spring break Splendor, price protected and $200 OBC. Now we are sailing at a great time (spring break) at 1/2 the cost it would have normally been. Our PVP told us to pick any week that we wanted, no extra cost. Our PVP contacted us right away when cancellations were announced. The OP rebooked after the initial set of cancellations, therefore, the only compensation they offered us on first set was 25% off future cruise. Sorry, thats the way it is. It may be confusing on their website, but that info is only for those of us affected by second set of cancellations.

Archived