Boston Hotels - Hotwire

riverdees05

Another option - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1354115 (Mary in Maine).

Don't even mess with the park/sleep. You're probably coming in the Mass Pike - both the airport and Saugus are not on your route and Saugus is really out of the way. Get a room on Hotwire in the Waltham area for under $100 for the night before the cruise. Drive to the port the next morning and pay the $16/day to park. When you get off the ship, drive yourselves over to Back Bay and find the parking suggested in the post (contact them to confirm rates before you commit). This will keep your car with you and give you your own transportation to and from the port - no public transit, no cabs, no shuttles.

I don't know what I was thinking - I just recommended a variation of this to Mary from Maine. It's a cost effective plan that gives you control - all you have to do is the driving. From Back Bay you can get right on the Mass Pike and head home.

Hi 123East,

Well, we got Sheraton for $100 per night and couldn't be happier. Feeling a bit guilty about blowing off my TA, but the difference in price is just too great......and saving money is so much fun!

Will check out our driving route and then revisit your suggestion re the night before the cruise and parking.

Thanks again for your time and great suggestions.

judy

If you're coming from the west, you will hit Waltham first. For Sep 22 there is a 3* hotel with breakfast for $73 that is likely Summerfield Suites - it has excellent Tripadviser reviews. Downtown Waltham is a short drive away - Moody Street is filled with interesting restaurants. Parking would be $112 at the port and $51 for 3 days at the Sheraton. You will save yourself a huge amount of logistical aggravation not dumping your car in East Boston or Saugus and paying to get back and forth by cab, shuttle, or public transportation.

Hey 123east - thanks again!

Checked out the drive, and yes, Waltham is on the way as you said. Booked the Hyatt Summerfield Suites Boston/Waltham on hotwire and we are now totally finished setting this trip up. We are cruising NCL to Bermuda - two firsts - first time to Bermuda, first time to Boston. Really looking forward to this one.

You have helped save us a lot of money and aggrevation re dealing with cars. Thank you so much.

judy

Sounds like a plan. Be sure to have good directions/map. From Waltham you can go straight in the Mass Pike following the signs to South Boston/Logan Airport. Get off in South Boston(don't go to Logan) and the pier will be several blocks away. You will have to go on local streets from South Boston to Back Bay - don't get on the Mass Pike as there is no Back Bay exit westbound. However, you can get on the pike westbound in Back Bay when you go back to Toronto. Directions/GPS are important because of all the one way streets.

• 2 months later...

Hope 138east has a great suggestion for this. Any help would be great too. We are now trying to plan but, realize early. Our cruise sails in June, 2012. We are considering the Hilton Boston logan Airport. In browsing Hotwire, it looks like this is a 4 star with the Hyatt. On Priceline(which I have never used) it is the only 4 star. If it were to stay the same(can book in a month), which might be the better place? What might a bid for this on Priceline be? Thanks for any advice.

Why do you want to stay at the Airport Hilton? It's right in the middle of the airport surrounded by terminals, traffic, and planes. It's super early to book for June 2012. I haven't stayed there, but I have stayed at the Airport Hyatt which is very nice and on the harbor. Both hotels are consistently expensive - I don't really track them on Hotwire. If I were going to spend the money (I think my company paid over $400 for me to stay at the Hyatt), I'd stay in town somewhere. Have you looked at the Seaport, the Renaissance, or the Westin Convention Center?

What is your date and do you have any other considerations?

We were trying to save an extra cab fare!!! Looked at the Hyatt Harborside so that might be a consideration. Got a price of 187.00 on Hilton MVP site for airport Hilton. Noticed that the water taxi is right there with free shuttle from airport hotel. Want to see/walk the Freedom Trail. Realize it is early but just trying to plan a bit. we will stay overnight June 7, 2012 and sail June 8. Just thinking what to do at the moment. Thanks for helping. After reading the posts here, you are sooooo helpful!

I think you can do better. From the Airport Hilton you will have to take the shuttle over to the water ferry and hope that you make good connections. The one way fare is $10/pp and round trip is $17. There are three water taxi companies - http://www.massport.com/logan-airport/Pages/WaterTransport.aspx This transportation is almost as expensive as a cab - you won't be saving any money. You'd be better off going to the Airport Blue Line "T" station and riding the two stops to Aquarium/Long Wharf by Quincy Market.

The reason I am suggesting you look at the 4* hotels in the Waterfront area on Hotwire is that you will have easy access to the "T" ($2/pp) plus you can walk a lot of places. You can see the ship from this area - cab fare to the ship will be under $10. This is primarily an office and hotel area - there are restaurants, particularly on the harbor. It's safe to walk around and a lot more pleasant than the airport on a June evening.

Check back in a few months when Hotwire for June 2012 has listings. I think you will be able to get a 4* hotel for less money and a better location than the middle of Logan Airport.

• 3 months later...

123east - Thanks for all the help, we just got back and all your recommendations were great. We had a wonderful two days in Boston - even with the rain and saw a lot. Need to go back and spend a week there - so much history and things to see. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived