Boston Hotels - Hotwire

riverdees05

I took a chance today with your suggestions and put a bid in on Priceline. I got the Sheraton Boston for $95.00 for Oct 28. Sounds like that is a great deal.

I have booked a one way car rental for $80. Looks like I selected the Park Plaza location for the car to be dropped off. Is that closer or should I select the airport location?

I remember you from about a 1.5 years ago as you helped me with our 10 day Caribbean trip that went from Bayonne and finished in Miami. We loved that trip so much that we have booked this repositioning again but on RC. Last time was Celebrity but Celebrity only offers a 6 day now.

You are right, it is a little expensive but not having to fly two ways is a bonus. We just got back from the Galapagos where it was 4 flights going there and 4 back...we were looking for something without all the flights this year. We have a 7 night Bermuda booked out of Bayonne in June taking my parents on a cruise for their 50th anniversary present. Luckly we can drive for that one as well.

Silly question, are there still bed bug issues in the NYC area, should we try not to stay in June around Bayonne if we are driving down from Canada or has it improved? We got the Marriott at the Newark Airport last time for $55 pre-cruise.

If we don't arrive until about 4pm in Boston that Friday night and cruise on Saturday 5pm, any suggestions of what do in that short period of time?

Thanks again for all your help

Angela

You got a fabulous rate on the Sheraton. The web site advanced purchase is $365!!!! The Park Plaza Hotel is a good drop off - just check the times they are open so you don't get stuck with the car overnight. The cab fare from the Park Plaza to the Sheraton should be under $10.

Friday night you probably might just want to explore the Prudential Center indoor mall and eat at one of the restaurants. In the morning you can explore Boston for several hours before heading to the port.

Bed bugs have been a big topic but not at Newark Airport hotels (except maybe the Ramada). The bed bugs are not selective about the hotels they infest - they could be anywhere.

There is no reason why you can't go to Fanueil Hall area via the T for the evening after you checked into your hotel, if you are up to it. Another option would be to cab it or walk over to Fenway and eat at one of the pubs that surround the area. In the a.m. you can take the Duck Tour which leaves from the Pru Center, which will give you a nice overview of Boston. You purchase the tickets in the mall. I think you can purchase for the a.m. the night before if you'd like. Finally, if you just want to stay at the Sheraton, I recommend Legal Seafood which is in the mall.

Hi 138east, I just wanted to say thank you for all the valuable information you have posted here about Boston. Followed your suggestion and using hotwire for our pre-cruise hotel stay and we got the Sheraton for $109 for 9/9 to 9/14/2011. The rate seemed really good compared to any other sites I checked.

My DH is a huge Boston Redsox fan, so we planned it so we could attend a game during our stay. I saw they have tours of the park, would you recommend us taking the tour?

Thanks again, Lisa

Hi 138east, I just wanted to say thank you for all the valuable information you have posted here about Boston. Followed your suggestion and using hotwire for our pre-cruise hotel stay and we got the Sheraton for $109 for 9/9 to 9/14/2011. The rate seemed really good compared to any other sites I checked.

My DH is a huge Boston Redsox fan, so we planned it so we could attend a game during our stay. I saw they have tours of the park, would you recommend us taking the tour?

Thanks again, Lisa

Well done Lisa - you got a great deal! The Sheraton is in a great location to tour Boston and to get to Fenway Park. I've never taken the Fenway Park tour, but others have liked it. The hours are on their web site - I'd go early to get on one of the first tours.

Well done Lisa - you got a great deal! The Sheraton is in a great location to tour Boston and to get to Fenway Park. I've never taken the Fenway Park tour, but others have liked it. The hours are on their web site - I'd go early to get on one of the first tours.

Actually it was $104, typo on my part... Ok we will plan on going early, I'm sure DH will love it. We are looking forward to seeing Boston, so thanks again for your help. Lisa

Just so you feel even better - I checked the Sheraton web site for your dates and the non-refundable rate is $374 incl taxes. Unfortunately, the best way to get affordable Boston hotel rooms is on Hotwire and Priceline - Hotwire might be a bit more expensive, but there are certain identifiable hotels that are often listed, so there are few surprises. When there are no conventions in town, the Sheraton and the Westin Convention Center offer very nice hotels at super prices. I prefer to recommend the Sheraton because Back Bay/Copley is a much better all round area to stay in - not as convenient to many of the tourist spots (only a short "T" ride away), but much better for evening activities. No hotel location in Boston is perfect - you will always have to travel a little bit to get to some of your destinations.

Amtrak is good - be sure to get off at Back Bay Station. Cab to the Sheraton will be under $5 - if you can troll your luggage you could even walk it. Cab from the Sheraton to the pier about $17-20. Once you get rid of your luggage you can easily use the "T" to get around Boston.

Amtrak is good - be sure to get off at Back Bay Station. Cab to the Sheraton will be under $5 - if you can troll your luggage you could even walk it. Cab from the Sheraton to the pier about $17-20. Once you get rid of your luggage you can easily use the "T" to get around Boston.

Thanks for the information.

Do all the Amtrak trains stop at the Back Bay station? I thought that only some do, and some do not, but maybe I am mistaken on that one.

This is the most expensive time in Boston because of fall foliage and College Parent and Homecoming weekends. Be sure to book something now.

We will also be on the repositioning cruise on the Jewel Oct 29. We will be flying to Boston on the 27th. Thanks for a wealth of information.

• 2 months later...

The JFK Library is located on the UMass campus in South Boston. It is out of the way. Your options are car, cab, or public transportation. Their web site directions are:

The Library and Museum is easily accessed by public transportation. Take the MBTA Rapid Transit, Red Line (any red line train) to JFK/UMASS Station. There is a free shuttle bus to the Library every 20 minutes beginning at 8:00 a.m. and running until Museum closing. Please take the buses marked ‘JFK.’

Cab would be about $25 each way. From the Sheraton you would take the Green Line inbound to Park St. and then take any Red Line train outbound towards Braintree/Mattapan to the JFK/UMass station and the free shuttle bus to the Library.

Just so you feel even better - I checked the Sheraton web site for your dates and the non-refundable rate is $374 incl taxes. Unfortunately, the best way to get affordable Boston hotel rooms is on Hotwire and Priceline - Hotwire might be a bit more expensive, but there are certain identifiable hotels that are often listed, so there are few surprises. When there are no conventions in town, the Sheraton and the Westin Convention Center offer very nice hotels at super prices. I prefer to recommend the Sheraton because Back Bay/Copley is a much better all round area to stay in - not as convenient to many of the tourist spots (only a short "T" ride away), but much better for evening activities. No hotel location in Boston is perfect - you will always have to travel a little bit to get to some of your destinations.

How do you figure out which hotels are being offered? I am looking at Sept 30 for 3 nights after a cruise and am finding regular rates to be extremely high, especially when including parking. We will probably do parknfly with holiday inn near the airport before the cruise, but for the weekend after would like something nicer in a better location.

On hotline Looking at 3-1/2 star back backbay 4 star waterfront.

Thanks in advance for any insight on these hotels being offered.

For Sept 30-Oct 3 I'm seeing the 3 1/2* hotel (likely the Sheraton) on Hotwire for $101. Back Bay is a great deal - don't even consider the waterfront. Leave your car at Holiday Inn - you won't need it in Boston. Take a cab from the pier to the Sheraton after the cruise.

The problem is retrieving your car - the Holiday Inn is in Saugus. What direction would you be driving in? You could take the "T" to the airport and the hotel shuttle back to Holiday Inn and then drive back to the Sheraton to pick up luggage. That would be your least expensive option ($2/pp). If you're even thinking of doing a cab to Saugus, you should spend the extra $$$ and do the Park/sleep at Embassy Suites for $215.

For Sept 30-Oct 3 I'm seeing the 3 1/2* hotel (likely the Sheraton) on Hotwire for $101. Back Bay is a great deal - don't even consider the waterfront. Leave your car at Holiday Inn - you won't need it in Boston. Take a cab from the pier to the Sheraton after the cruise.

The problem is retrieving your car - the Holiday Inn is in Saugus. What direction would you be driving in? You could take the "T" to the airport and the hotel shuttle back to Holiday Inn and then drive back to the Sheraton to pick up luggage. That would be your least expensive option ($2/pp). If you're even thinking of doing a cab to Saugus, you should spend the extra $$$ and do the Park/sleep at Embassy Suites for $215.

Wow - thanks for the quick reply!

We are headed back to Toronto. Our TA has suggested holiday inn express on Boston st for the first night, then other hotels afterwards. They all seem very expensive, but we do want a good location.

As I don't know Boston at a all, it is hard to make a decision. I will try the back bay on hot-wire - thanks for you input. This leaves the decision on the parknfly. Where is embasseynsuites?

Thx

Holiday Inn Express is 10 miles away from the airport in Saugus, Ma. Embassy Suites is in East Boston right next to the airport. Cab service to Saugus would be expensive - to be cost effective you'd really have to get back to the airport to take the hotel shuttle.

trinityreservations.com has Embassy Suites with 14 days parking for $215 including tax. This should cover your entire cruise plus the extra days in Boston.

Archived