First Alaska Cruise! Our ship is the Golden!

jakejtown

We sailed on Golden the third week of August, 2009. Weather was a bit damp, but the cruise was fabulous. Views from our balcony were incredible. Did not book any tours through Princess. We did a whale watch with Orca Tours/Captain Larry in Juneau. You can take public buses to the Mendenhall Glacier. Eagles in the pines lined the street we walked from the pier in Juneau like paid extras in a movie.

While we were driven on our shuttle to the boat for the whale watch, our rather colorful driver described the sites and told us a great story. A Safeway supermarket had opened some time before in Juneau. It had sensor-opening doors as do the markets in our hometowns. The difference in Juneau is that the bears figured out that their approach would open the doors and took to entering during shopping hours to graze in the produce section. Safeway had to install lower tech doors.

Yes, the train in Skagway can be magnificent if not hampered by fog, but you can book your seat that day and virtually look down the street into the mountain pass to get an idea of the weather. Price was $115 pp at that time. We rented a car from Avis and drove into the mountains. $104 with tax for us both. I don't remember the exact model, but it was a fairly full-sized Chevy. Same price as Sourdough rentals and I was told the Avis cars are more reliable. You can book online through Avis.

Our cruise was scheduled for Tracy Arm Fjord, but we were unable to enter. The Coast Guard was repairing marker buoys at the entrance. Our captain took us into another fjord he had sailed before. It was fabulous. Snow capped peaks with melting run-off waterfalls and emerald icebergs were as impressive as the glacier! Do bring binoculars.

In each town anyplace where there is water you will see more salmon than you can imagine.

We got into Victoria late due to rough seas and chose to spend our last night on ship.

In good weather, the sailaway party from Seattle on the upper decks is its own treat. Rainier floating in the clouds in the distance; the skyline of Seattle right there; and sailing past the Olympics while the song "North to Alaska" played through the sound system. It was our best sailaway ever.

We enjoyed the layout of the ships; many places to enjoy. Food in the dining room was superior to our two previous cruises on Royal Caribbean.

We used Shuttle Express to get to and from the airport. It was a bit of a walk from the terminal to their center in the airport parking garage, but they were very efficient and reliable.

Have a great time.

Wow, thanks for all the helpful information! What excursions did you do in Ketchikan? We are thinking about booking with Dyea Dave tours in Skagway and taking the train back to the ship. Have you heard anything about them? Thanks!

Natty Bumppo,

I read in your post that this was the first time that you sailed Princess and that you had always sailed RC. We too have always sailed RC and are a little nervous about the switch. I was glad to see that you were pleased with the dining room food on princess over RC!

We went in May 2010 and I was counting on cold weather....guess what? It was in the 70's most of the time. While I was walking around in jeans and sweaters I was wishing for shorts and flip flops....I would bring at least a couple items of light weight material so you don't roast. My husband kept buying T-shirts to wear. It may have been a rarety, but we are going back in May 2012 and I will be packing one pair of shorts and some sandals just to be on the safe side! We has the trip of a lifetime. Absolutely loved it. We did the Yukon Experience thru the ship and did the dog sled, etc. My husband did a float plane ride which he LOVED. Have a blast, you will never see a more beautiful place!

Jakejtown

We just walked around town in Ketchikan. My wife wanted to do some souvenir shopping. Nice mountains just behind town. Watched the ubiquitous salmon from our balcony. It was a pleasant day.

We are not loyalists to a single cruise line. There are two we will not sail based on personal preferences and experiences we would like to avoid. Our next cruise, in 14 days!, is on Holland America. On Royal Caribbean, we have sailed Enchantment of the Seas and Freedom of the Seas. We enjoyed both cruises. Golden Princess was an entirely different design and we liked it - very much. I liked the variety and location of the lounges. Make use of the International Cafe (I think that was the name) in the atrium lounge area. Very nice snacks. The dining room on Princess was not quite as nice (low ceilings/one level), but the food was better than RC. Some days we were so busy that we wouldn't be ready to eat until way after our dining time. The buffet area was set up with table clothes, silverware, and dimmed lighting to upgrade the experience somewhat. A regular balcony cabin is a bit smaller on Princess than RC, but we had a mini-suite. Not quite as big as a junior on RC but very comfortable. Deeper balcony.

Four minor caveats, not really problem areas just differences from RC. If you have anytime dining and go at peak times, there will be a wait. When you go to the buffet, the serving area will seem tiny as compared to RC Windjammers. Have no fear; there are not quite as many choices but the system works fine. Princess allows smoking in cabins. We had no trouble with ours upon boarding. The entertainment/main shows were not as good as Freedom; the ship is just not the same scale. Entertainment was comparable to Enchantment.

Adding our thoughts - much the same as others:

Ketchikan - Mountain Point Snorkeling

Juneau - Whale Watching

Skagway - White Pass and Yukon RR

Glacier Bay - Do not miss a second of it - We've been there three times and have not tired of it one bit.

Recommendations:

1. Take layers! And the outer layer should be breathable water-proof material. We have gone from low 40's to mid 80's in one day. We have had torrential downpours and pure blue skies.

2. Never be without a camera. If you don't have one get a pocket digital. The whales and bears make their own schedules.

3. Do Alaska-only things. Think "could I do this near home" before booking a "made up" excursion.

4. Definitely take binoculars. We didn't one time - ended up buying a pair at the Juneau Costco!

Personal Note: My first cruise to Alaska was as a 16 year old many-many years ago. I had an absolute blast. Great memories. You are giving your children a wonderful gift that will last them a lifetime.

Hi, all!

Just couldn't resist, posting one more picture, of the Golden Princess in Tracy Arm, as photographed from E731, Sapphire Princess.

In this picture, we see the bow of the Golden, easing into view, as she explores Tracy Arm. I love the view of the bridge, from the side, and the observation deck above it. What a spot!

Please enjoy this picture, and I hope it transports you to the wonders of Alaska!

golden_princess_tracy_arm_6.jpg

where do you do this at? I am leaving Aug 20th and am curious who all on this board is going at the same time to Alaska. Plus...if they have gone before, they would be a great help to me as I have never been on a cruise before at all and could use all the advice I can get.

There's probably a roll call thread.. Start in the roll call section (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106), pick your ship and find the right date (might take a little searching)

where do you do this at? I am leaving Aug 20th and am curious who all on this board is going at the same time to Alaska. Plus...if they have gone before, they would be a great help to me as I have never been on a cruise before at all and could use all the advice I can get.

Hi,

I have been on 8 Alaska cruises, and the best advice is to pack layers. (Others have said this too, here and elsewhere on Cruise Critic.)

I like to have a few long sleeved shirts, a sweatshirt, a button up sweater, and a windbreaker or warm-up type jacket. Also, cloth gloves and a knit hat to pull down over your ears are nice.

The reasons: it can be warm in port, and it can be cool to cold and rainy at sea. You will enjoy Glacier Bay (or Tracy Arm or College Fjord, depending on your ship) much more if you can be out on deck to see the sights, rather than cowering indoors, due to the cold. The sights are truly amazing, but they are much better when seen from the open decks!

Don't be stuck inside, enclosed in a restaurant with no windows, or no nearby windows, when you are in the most scenic areas. If your ship departs Skagway during daylight hours, it is beautiful! Many people are inside at this time, but the scenic cruising out of Skagway is fabulous!

Also scenic is cruising into or out of Juneau, depending on your ships arrival time (as to when the daylight hours are in effect).

Attend the naturalist talks, onboard, and these will give you more tips on what to see.

Most cruises have an Alaska themed buffet, sometimes served on the open deck. Enjoy the salmon, rockfish chowder, and reindeer sausage!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Postmaster! Which ship will you be on? My family is leaving August 20th as well, from Vancouver - North Bound, on Diamond Princess.

Archived